Windows 10: Surface Pro 4 Battery Drain during Sleep / Heating

Discus and support Surface Pro 4 Battery Drain during Sleep / Heating in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I wasn't able to specifically find this item on this forum, but post-build 1511 the Surface Pro 4 has excessive battery drain during sleep (like ~10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PJLLB, Nov 20, 2015.

1. PJLLB Win User

Surface Pro 4 Battery Drain during Sleep / Heating

I wasn't able to specifically find this item on this forum, but post-build 1511 the Surface Pro 4 has excessive battery drain during sleep (like ~10 percent per hour even with WiFi turned off during sleep). The device also is running "hot" under normal circumstances unlike pre-1511.

I had read about this on the web but finally bit the bullet and contacted Microsoft support via chat to work the issue. After extensive troubleshooting, most of what I had already done, the agent finally acknowledged the following towards the end of the chat (even though I had specifically asked the question at the beginning of the chat):
    ME:Are there reports of this issue in your knowledge base?
    Microsoft Agent: Yes we have it in our knowledge base and I would like to assure you that we are aware of it and Microsoft is currently in the process of developing updates that will fix this issue. We are to release new updates that will enhance the performance of the device specifically with the battery.
    Me: When is the fix expected?
    Microsoft Agent: We don't have specific date yet but I will personally monitor it for you and will send you follow up emails about it. I'm gonna make sure that you'll be one of the first valued customers who will get this update once it's available.

Further, the overheating issue was confirmed to be related:

Me: One more thing -- we didn't discuss the fact that the device gets far hotter than usual, but my research show that is a result of the battery issue we've discussed. Is that true?
    Microsoft Agent: Yes that's correct. Since the battery consumption is not normal than before, it affects the fan to run faster and release a heat.

So this is at least a formal, now written acknowledgement of the issue, something that is only hinted at in various sources on the web.

:)

PJLLB, Nov 20, 2015

2. Battery drained in sleep mode in Windows 10

I recently purchased a Surface Pro 4 laptop (Windows 10).

Whenever I keep my laptop in sleep mode for a few hours, it drains my laptop battery.

I use my Surface pro 4 for business and I need the sleep mode to by operational.

I hope Microsoft will solve this issue soon.

Thank you.

RenaudREQUISTON, Nov 20, 2015
  3. Wifi not turning off while on sleep

Hi,

My Surface Pro 4 doesn't shut down the wifi after I put it on sleep even though I changed the battery settings to always disconnect from network while n battery and asleep.

How can I solve this as my battery keeps getting drained.

Thanks

Curiousnomad, Nov 20, 2015
Thema:

Surface Pro 4 Battery Drain during Sleep / Heating

1. Surface Pro 4 Battery Drain during Sleep / Heating - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Battery

2. Surface Pro 4 sleeping while using (Sleep is OFF)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface Pro 4 sleeping while using (Sleep is OFF): So i just got my Surface Pro 4 replaced under warranty. I take my replacement out of the box, excited to finally have it back. (It had been broken for a couple of months before I realised it was still under warranty.) So as I boot it up, get through the setup, and start...
  3. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Surface Pro 4: System and Firmware Update. 115195
  4. Surface Pro 4

Surface Pro 4: Updates available Surface Pro 4. 57858
  5. Surface Pro 4

Surface Pro 4: Quite a large system update available today. 47842
  6. Surface Pro 4

Surface Pro 4: System Update just released.. 56499
  7. Battery drains while on sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Support
    Battery drains while on sleep mode.: Hello, Since the win 10 upgrade i am facing issues with my laptop. Earlier when i used to put my Laptop sleep mode it doesn't used to wake up, so I used to power it off and restart it again, now that got fixed on itself somehow. and now new issue has come up, now my...
  8. Battery drain

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery drain: Windows 10 is draining all my battery. I used to have 2.5hours standby on windows 8.1. I can barely go through an hour on windows 10. 10745
  9. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 4: Anyone else think it will run cooler than the Surface Pro 3? Anyone experienced this? 28169
  10. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 4: So when am I going to be able to get a nice fanless SP4 machine to match this nice Windows 10 build! My SP3 is great, but starting to feel slightly tired (keyboard is looking very worn out) and fan always spins. Time for a refresh soon once SP4 comes out! 8304