Windows 10: Surface Pro 4 Black Borders on the side/Smaller Screen Issues

Discus and support Surface Pro 4 Black Borders on the side/Smaller Screen Issues in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone I have a surface pro 4 and I have the black side border issue. I have tried what I could including settings, deleting and reinstalling... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mungbeansprout, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Surface Pro 4 Black Borders on the side/Smaller Screen Issues

Hello everyone

I have a surface pro 4 and I have the black side border issue.

I have tried what I could including settings, deleting and reinstalling hardware and updating it and windows update. Other tips I found on sites suggest tweaking the registry. However, it seems to be video card/desktop specific so I stayed away.

It happened on a stormy night with the surface plugged into the wall socket. I was using DosBox on windowed mode at the time.

Suddenly, the screen turned black and when it returned, the borders appeared.

Now if I disable the video driver, the screen covers the entire monitor but I cannot use the pen.
    If I enable the drivers, it goes back to covering a portion of the screen.

If I maximise DosBox it covers the whole screen as well.

The partial coverage is annoying enough, but it feels as if the resolution has gone down on some apps and is frustrating to use.

Thanks in advance!

:)

mungbeansprout, Oct 16, 2018

2. Surface Pro 4 Docking issues

I have a Surface Pro 3 and a Surface Pro 4, two docking stations, two external monitors, keyboards and bluetooth mice.

Up until two weeks ago, everything worked great. (since December)

Then, (after an update) the Surface Pro 4 monitor does not go full screen. There is a wide black border and it has to be extended each time.

I put the Surface Pro 4 on the Pro 3 dock and same thing. (Yes, they are the identical dock, monitor and keyboard)

Surface Pro 3 works great on both docks so it is not the docks, monitors or cables.

This is getting frustrating.

JackRodenburg, Oct 16, 2018
  3. Surface Pro 4 screen not turn on after sleep

Hi, thank you. I could restart my surface pro 4 but still could not fix the Surface Pro 4 screen not turn on after sleep. I am still looking forward to hearing more suggestions to fix the black screen after sleep.

SokthearithYi, Oct 16, 2018
  4. Brink Win User

Surface Pro 4 Black Borders on the side/Smaller Screen Issues

Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 - April 5th 2017

Source: Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 (05 April 2017) Surface

See also:

Brink, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

Surface Pro 4 Black Borders on the side/Smaller Screen Issues

1. Surface Pro 4 Black Borders on the side/Smaller Screen Issues - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Black

2. Surface Pro 4 "Black Screen of Death"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 4 "Black Screen of Death": Exactly a year ago, while using my Surface Pro 4, the screen froze while I was using it. I went to reboot the computer, and it never went back on. The computer is able to charge, and the keyboard lights up. I looked everywhere to find the problem for almost a month. I ended...
  3. Surface Pro 4 "Black Screen of Death"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 4 "Black Screen of Death": Exactly a year ago, while using my Surface Pro 4, the screen froze while I was using it. I went to reboot the computer, and it never went back on. The computer is able to charge, and the keyboard lights up. I looked everywhere to find the problem for almost a month. I ended...
  4. Surface Pro 4 "Black Screen of Death"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Surface pro 4 issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface pro 4 issues: My computer keeps switching rapidly between tablet mode and desktop. I cant click or touch anything in time for it to load, as it has already switched again. I tried hard Resets, but they ran into a blue error page, then restarted instead.does anybody know what to do? I need...
  6. Surface Pro 4 mouse issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 4 mouse issues: Recently my mouse stops working if I touch my Surface Pro 4 screen. Is this a known problem and is there a fix? Has only happened since the last couple of updates....
  7. At display's right and left sides are black borders and usable screen has got smaller

in Windows 10 Customization
    At display's right and left sides are black borders and usable screen has got smaller: My computer's display just shrunk! At right and left sides are black borders and screen has got smaller! How can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/at-displays-right-and-left-sides-are-black-borders/89ba62e0-42f7-424e-a1e2-08229f5a98ca
  8. Surface pro 4 screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface pro 4 screen: Hi, My sp4 had this flickering issue for a while, and I found out that there is a chance for replacement if it is within 3 years from the purchase, so I wonder where can I check the purchase date (I lost the receipt). Also, there is no way to fix this? Some people says it...
  9. Camera issue on Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Camera issue on Surface Pro 4: Sometime in the last couple of weeks, the camera on my Surface Pro 4 has stopped working. When I try to snap a picture, I get the error 0xa00F4292, PhotoCaptureStartTimeout and no photo is taken. What I have tried: uninstall/reinstall camera, update drivers (none found),...
  10. Black borders on all sides

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black borders on all sides: Have a 21.5 " Acer monitor with an old AMD Radeon 3450 HD There are black borders on the display. Icons oval,also pic distorted On display settings the max. res. seen is 1280 although the monitor is full HD 67563

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface pro blurry and black border

2. surface pro screen got smaller