Windows 10: Surface Pro 4 boot loop - can't boot to UEFI or from USB

Discus and support Surface Pro 4 boot loop - can't boot to UEFI or from USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, at the UEFI I accidently deleted the Windows Boot Manager. After I restarted, the Surface was stuck in an infinite boot loop. Additionally I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by D-Dog1911, Oct 14, 2018.

1. D-Dog1911 Win User

Surface Pro 4 boot loop - can't boot to UEFI or from USB

Hello,

at the UEFI I accidently deleted the Windows Boot Manager. After I restarted, the Surface was stuck in an infinite boot loop. Additionally I can't boot to UEFI or from USB anymore. I already tried a lot of troubleshooting, like the official guides and unofficial ones. I tried using the surface recovery image(https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surfacerecoveryimage), but it just won't boot from USB and I tried on a 16GB and a 32GB one. I also tried to use Ubuntu to fix the problem, but it doesn't boot either. And of course, I can't enter UEFI to check settings.

For the record: Volume UP + Power doesn't work and Volume DOWN + Power doesn't work either. Both send me to the boot loop and both worked before I deleted the Windows Boot Manager.

How can I restore the Windows Boot Manager now?

Of course I don't have warranty on my Surface Pro 4 anymore and I can't pay for the repair. I really need my Surface for my studies so any help is appreciated.

:)

D-Dog1911, Oct 14, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Surface Pro 4 boot loop - can't boot to UEFI or from USB :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Oct 14, 2018
  3. Grace O Win User
    Surface Pro 4 stuck booting to Surface UEFI? Loop

Thank you, Darwin! Got everything working again. If this might help anyone else, here's what I did.

1. Disable Secure Boot on UEFI. (I saw online someone said to do this and power off and on. It might fix things right away or not. If not, I continued on with it disabled. I dont know if this actually helped any with the followings steps but I just left
    it disabled for now and plan to renable it later when everything is fixed).

2. I plugged a USB into my other Windows PC in order to download Microsoft Media Creation Tool for Windows 10. Run it and choose to save onto that USB. (Note: everything will be lost on that USB so backup before starting this). Eject USB safely. This took
    me 3 hours to download, might be faster for you. They prob have this on hand at the help desk at a Microsoft Store but hm...the tech at my appointment told me there was no point in him trying anything. Dead. Didn't even sit or touch my Surface...Anyway, moving
    on.

3. Plug that USB into your Surface Pro. Power your baby on. It automatically booted to the Install Windows 10 for me. (It should auto boot, but if it doesn't I read you have to change the order of booting to USB Storage in the UEFI settigs). You got the
    option to Repair or Install. I tried the Repair options first but none of those worked for me. Troubleshoot options didn't work either. So, I choose Turn Off PC. Repair was out, in my case.

4. Powered on again and chose to install Windows. I didn't risk keeping any old stuff. Lost all to get a clean Windows 10. (Note: If you chose the install saying there was a previous Windows on your Surface, I read you might end up with two partitions of
    Windows afterwards whenever you startup- choosing either old or new. I didnt want this). To make it easy, there are plenty youtube Windows Install vids that will help guide through this.

5. After successful install, set up your Microsoft account like normal and download all the Windows Updates to get all Surface features back.

That's about where I'm at. My SSD wasn't dead. So grateful to knowledgable MS online support for the input. And some self-Googleing always helps.

Grace O, Oct 14, 2018
  4. Surface Pro 4 boot loop - can't boot to UEFI or from USB

Surface Pro 4 stuck booting to Surface UEFI? Loop

Hi Grace,

The sudden shut down that you've performed could've damaged your boot configuration causing your device not boot properly and stuck on the
    UEFI screen. As an initial step to restore your device, we suggest that you proceed in creating a boot media and perform an automatic repair. To do this, follow the steps provided on this

support article
    about the recovery options in Windows 10. Click the drop-down arrow for the
    Use Installation media to restore or reset your PC topic to view the appropriate steps. Once you're done check if you'll be able to boot your device normally.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

Surface Pro 4 boot loop - can't boot to UEFI or from USB

1. Surface Pro 4 boot loop - can't boot to UEFI or from USB - Similar Threads - Surface Pro boot

2. Surface Pro 9 will not boot USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 9 will not boot USB: I have tried every way possible but my surface will NOT boot from USB. I've disabled secure boot, I've disabled bitlocker. I've tried Windows and RUFUS to created a bootable drive. I've tried both ports on the surface, I've tried different USB keys. I've tried booting from...
  3. Surface Pro 9 will not boot USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 9 will not boot USB: I have tried every way possible but my surface will NOT boot from USB. I've disabled secure boot, I've disabled bitlocker. I've tried Windows and RUFUS to created a bootable drive. I've tried both ports on the surface, I've tried different USB keys. I've tried booting from...
  4. Can't boot from USB on Microsoft Surface Pro X

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot from USB on Microsoft Surface Pro X: Hello,I am the proud owner of a Microsoft Surface Pro X.Somehow I managed to kill the Windows with which it came preinstalled.I am trying for 2 days now to reinstall Windows.Things I tried:- Create a bootable USB using MediaCreationTool - no boot- Create a bootable USB using...
  5. Can't boot uefi

Can't boot uefi: Hello, Recently I helped a friend with upgrading to an SSD and installed Windows 10 Pro. I used a custom .iso and burned it using Rufus gpt. I set the computer to boot uefi, disabled secure boot. The computer worked perfectly, however after sometime they started getting a...
  6. Microsoft Surface Pro 4 boot loop issue...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Surface Pro 4 boot loop issue...: SOS my surface pro 4 is stuck in the boot loop where I selected to complete an update and auto restart, and upon shutting off and going to auto restart my surface will not boot all the way. I have had this issue before and the only way I was able to get it fixed was to seek...
  7. Boot Windows 10 from USB, UEFI file for USB not booting.

Boot Windows 10 from USB, UEFI file for USB not booting.: I want to do a fresh install of windows on my ssd with a usb. I don't have access to a secondary windows computer but have downloaded the .iso file on a sandisk 16GB usb from my mac. My pc originally didn't boot with the file in the exfat format so I managed to copy the .iso...
  8. Surface Laptop UEFI BOOT Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Laptop UEFI BOOT Loop: Hi All, After a windows update this past week I have encountered this boot loop issue on my Surface Laptop Gen 1. Here is a screenshot. As you can see there is a HDD icon in the top right corner with an X [IMG] I have tried various options with MS support over the...
  9. Surface Pro 2017: Can't boot from USB Storage

Surface Pro 2017: Can't boot from USB Storage: Dear community I'm trying to reset my Surface Pro 2017 i5 using a recovery image .zip-File from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surfacerecoveryimage?OSMCSignIn=true&wa=wsignin1.0 I created a USB recovery drive as explained but my Surface doesn't boot from it at all. I...
  10. BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot

BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot: Hi, Problem I'm trying to boot from a USB pen ( Windows Install, Hirens, Any OTHER ) The problem is it sometimes works , sometimes as in Windows installer works when I wipe the on board drive. I can't get it to boot to anything else even when the on board drive it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface pro 4 boot from usb

2. surface laptop uefi loop

3. surface loop on uefi

4. surface uefi boot loop,
  5. surface pro ufei lost,
  6. surfac uefi loop,
  7. boot surfCE PRO 4 FROM USB,
  8. surface pro uefi boot loop,
  9. boot from usb surface pro 4,
  10. surface pro 4 boot from usn,
  11. uefi loop surface book,