Windows 10: Surface Pro 4 No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

Discus and support Surface Pro 4 No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge in Cortana to solve the problem; All of the below items don't work: .-Start menu inaccessible .- Search bar doesn't do anything .-Cortana doesn't work .-Can't access windows update... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by TerranceAllen1, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Surface Pro 4 No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

All of the below items don't work:

.-Start menu inaccessible

.- Search bar doesn't do anything

.-Cortana doesn't work

.-Can't access windows update "package not registered"

Best Regards

Terrance

:)

TerranceAllen1, Nov 7, 2018
  2. AC1650 Win User

Surface Pro 4 - No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

I have a surface pro 4 and recently did a totally clean re-installation for Windows 10.. Machine is just over 12 months old.. and all of the below items don't work:

* Start menu inaccessible

* Search bar doesn't do anything

* Cortana doesn't work

* Microsoft edge doesn't work (took me half a day to finally connect to a working browser through cmd accessing old iexplorer.. Edge shows problem of file system error "-2147219196")

* Can't access windows update "package not registered"

Have tried all the below commonly listed solutions:

* sfc / scannow

* Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

* reinstalling device drivers

* DISM cleanup / restore

* re-installing windows 3x..

Very frustrated - Windows 98 was better than this.. at least the start button worked.. and computers lasted for more than 12 months. Glad I paid 1K for useless piece of junk from microsoft.

Maybe some of the good folks at eClerx or something can help me...

Thanks..

AC1650, Nov 7, 2018
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Nov 7, 2018
  4. Surface Pro 4 No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

Surface Pro 4 - No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

Try starting Narrator (Win+Ctrl+Enter). Maybe it can "see" those things and tell you about them.

This is not as crazy as it sounds. I know of two cases where it was necessary. First, there once was a case in an early preview in which the XAML was not being rendered on the Display but was being detected by Narrator. Eventually by being able to navigate
    blindly through the UI with Narrator's help the UI remarkably started appearing the way it was expected to. More commonly, the symptom can depend on what else you have visible on your Taskbar. Since these details are rarely revealed by the poster I can just
    assume for the purpose of the hypothesis that they aren't there. Then we can assume that the user is seeing their monitor being treated as a secondary with the missing elements being rendered off screen on the (possibly phantom) primary. In that case, you
    would be guessing that the Display configuration was set to Extend. Then using the Project dialog to switch to Duplicate could make the missing elements appear. So, try pressing Win+P, CursorUp, Enter.

Calculator shows FFFFFFFF80040904 Doesn't seem to be documented. You would need to find some context to know what it means.

Otherwise, have you tried using the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit? You can download it from the Store.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

Surface Pro 4 No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

1. Surface Pro 4 No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Start

2. Surface Pro 4 reset. Now start menu, edge, cortana, system, etc.. wont launch.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro 4 reset. Now start menu, edge, cortana, system, etc.. wont launch.: Hello everyone, I have seen this issue a lot, but so far none of the solutions posted have worked. The surface is literally straight off a reset where everything should have been erased. It was working just fine before the reset too. Things I've tried: -restart windows...
  3. disable edge swipe on surface pro 1796 (surface pro 4-ish)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disable edge swipe on surface pro 1796 (surface pro 4-ish): Cannot even find out if I have a surface pro 3 or 4, only info is: BaseBoard Version Not Available System SKU Surface_Pro_1796 Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro After intensive search on the internet I found three "solutions" to disabling...
  4. Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu

in Cortana
    Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu: Hi, can anyone help me out with this? Start, Cortana, Edge & Search Menu are no longer working correctly after downloading Windows 10 Pro 1903 OS Build 18362.329 32 bitX64 for 86 based systems(KB 4512941) Aug 30 update. I've still got the start button & search bar but it...
  5. Start menu, cortana and edge not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, cortana and edge not working: So i have an msi laptop which has been amazing, i stopped using it for a while, decided id start it back up. I did a system refresh, removing everything so i could start fresh, set it all up and my start button doesn't work, so i reset and still nothing... i have watched so...
  6. Surface Pro 4 - No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro 4 - No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge: I have a surface pro 4 and recently did a totally clean re-installation for Windows 10.. Machine is just over 12 months old.. and all of the below items don't work: * Start menu inaccessible * Search bar doesn't do anything * Cortana doesn't work * Microsoft edge doesn't...
  7. Surface Pro 4 doesn't start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Pro 4 doesn't start: I installed the latest insider version 177738. One day later it suddenly stopped to work, doesn't respond. Keeping power button long enough down Windows menu disappears (system closes, i guess). After that i am not able to boot it anymore, even though i've tried every trick...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu and taskbar not working - Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Start Menu and taskbar not working - Surface Pro 4: Hi guys, I just got a Surface Pro 4. I was having no issues, until out of the blue, the taskbar and start menu on it stopped working, and now it's an empty, glitched taskbar [img] I tried to restart the explorer process (which made it worse), restart the machine...
  9. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Web searches, Start menu and Cortana: Hi In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research? Thanks Bye 44451
  10. Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function: Sometimes Start menu and Search/Cortana buttons become frozen and only after hard boot they work. 19756

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface reset no start menu

2. surface pro search on start menu

3. surface pro start cortana

4. surface pro 4 start menu search bar not workign,
  5. cnat access start menue or cortana on surface pro,
  6. no start menu on windows surface,
  7. surface pro 6 windows restore no start menu,
  8. surface no start menu,
  9. start menu missing surface pro 2018