Windows 10: Surface Pro 4 problem (BSOD/driver/reinstall not working)

Discus and support Surface Pro 4 problem (BSOD/driver/reinstall not working) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I installed a few updates to my surface pro 4 using Driver Booster, as I've used for years on my desktop and surface.. Then after around 15 updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Frode789, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Frode789 Win User

Surface Pro 4 problem (BSOD/driver/reinstall not working)

So I installed a few updates to my surface pro 4 using Driver Booster, as I've used for years on my desktop and surface.. Then after around 15 updates was installed, I rebooted and then started getting lots of BSODs with "kernel security check failure" phrase, so no doubt it must have been a shady driver problem. I disconnected my pro cover and everything worked fine. However, the second I attached the pro cover and tried to use it I would BSOD. I tried to reinstall the driver for the cover, "hard-boot" with power button + volume button etc. The keyboard and mouse works inside the UEFI and the menu where you can select safe mode etc, but not in Windows itself. Eventually I just ended up with doing a clean install of Windows, figuring that would obviously remove the drivers and give me a new start..

To my surprise even after a clean install of Windows, the cover still doesn't work in Windows. What gives?? Anyone have some ideas? The driver says it is "up to date" and re-installing it does nothing. It may be a different chipset driver or something, but the re-install should have fixed that.

:)

Frode789, Jun 19, 2019

2. Surface Pro 4 - Crashes / Freezes

Hi Edward,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will guide you in the right direction.

The main causes observed so far are driver issues, so I suggest you to install and update all the drivers and see if it helps.

Download drivers and firmware for Surface

I would also suggest you to install all Windows update and check.

Follow the steps:

1. On the search bar type “Settings”.

2. Click on “Update and Security”.

3. Click on “Check for Updates”.

4. Read and accept the license terms, and then tap or click Finish if the update requires it.

Reference:

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...ce-pro-4?category=performance-and-maintenance

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Suvarna Govinda, Jun 19, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 - April 5th 2017

Source: Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 (05 April 2017) Surface

See also:

Brink, Jun 19, 2019
  4. dencal Win User

dencal, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Surface Pro 4 problem (BSOD/driver/reinstall not working) - Similar Threads - Surface Pro problem

2. Surface Pro 4 video driver problem: MiniDP not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 4 video driver problem: MiniDP not working: Tried 3 different cables: Four foot no adapter, short HDMI with two different adaptersTried 2 monitors one DVI with 2 adapters at each and one HDMI with 1 adapter plus swapped the mini adapter as I had 2 minisWindows 21h1 detected each monitor and it shows up in the device...
  3. Surface Pro 4 video driver problem: MiniDP not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 4 video driver problem: MiniDP not working: Tried 3 different cables: Four foot no adapter, short HDMI with two different adaptersTried 2 monitors one DVI with 2 adapters at each and one HDMI with 1 adapter plus swapped the mini adapter as I had 2 minisWindows 21h1 detected each monitor and it shows up in the device...
  4. Surface Pro 4 video driver problem: MiniDP not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Surface pro 4 trackpad not working

Surface pro 4 trackpad not working: Help! I have a surface pro model that's built in 2016. The keyboard works but the trackpad stops working after an windows resetting. I wonder if anyone could help me in the right direction? When I check device manager, there is no device related to the trackpad. I wonder...
  6. SURFACE ALARMS WON'T WORK!!! Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SURFACE ALARMS WON'T WORK!!! Surface Pro 4: Here we go again. I have a Surface Pro 4 running the latest version of Windows 10. It is fully updated. I have these settings: - "On battery power, turn off after: Never" - "When plugged in, turn off after: Never" - "On battery power, PC goes to sleep after: Never" -...
  7. Touchscreen Driver for Surface PRO 4 computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Touchscreen Driver for Surface PRO 4 computer: Does Microsoft have a specific Touchscreen Driver? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchscreen-driver-for-surface-pro-4-computer/039d1ac3-d4bf-49ff-86ed-b4960b401e13
  8. Surface Pro 4 not working properly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro 4 not working properly.: I've recently started to encounter some issues with my surface pro 4, some apps such as calculator, and alarms don't start. they'll pop up then close by itself immediately after. the photos app was doing the same and i would get an error when trying to open any photo but i...
  9. Surface Pro 4 Driver updates

Surface Pro 4 Driver updates: Surface Pro 4 Intel Driver updates.. 99828
  10. BSOD on Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on Surface Pro 4: I'm having issues with UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, plus the graphics have gone off and then recovered several times. I have attached the report 32691

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface 4 type cover causes bsod