Windows 10: Surface Pro 4 reset. Now start menu, edge, cortana, system, etc.. wont launch.

Discus and support Surface Pro 4 reset. Now start menu, edge, cortana, system, etc.. wont launch. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have seen this issue a lot, but so far none of the solutions posted have worked. The surface is literally straight off a reset where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LawrenceP_Luigi, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Surface Pro 4 reset. Now start menu, edge, cortana, system, etc.. wont launch.

Hello everyone, I have seen this issue a lot, but so far none of the solutions posted have worked. The surface is literally straight off a reset where everything should have been erased. It was working just fine before the reset too.

Things I've tried:

-restart windows explorer

-start in safe mode

-the sfc scannow process

-the sfc cleanup-image process as well

-powershell GEt AppXPackage process

-the 10services_default.bat process

I've read that creating a new account will fix it, but system doesn't work so there's no way to actually do that. I tried installing windows with a usb drive, but it won't allow me to install it on any partition.

Has anybody actually been able to solve this?

:)

LawrenceP_Luigi, Apr 18, 2020
  2. AC1650 Win User

Surface Pro 4 - No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

I have a surface pro 4 and recently did a totally clean re-installation for Windows 10.. Machine is just over 12 months old.. and all of the below items don't work:

* Start menu inaccessible

* Search bar doesn't do anything

* Cortana doesn't work

* Microsoft edge doesn't work (took me half a day to finally connect to a working browser through cmd accessing old iexplorer.. Edge shows problem of file system error "-2147219196")

* Can't access windows update "package not registered"

Have tried all the below commonly listed solutions:

* sfc / scannow

* Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

* reinstalling device drivers

* DISM cleanup / restore

* re-installing windows 3x..

Very frustrated - Windows 98 was better than this.. at least the start button worked.. and computers lasted for more than 12 months. Glad I paid 1K for useless piece of junk from microsoft.

Maybe some of the good folks at eClerx or something can help me...

Thanks..

AC1650, Apr 18, 2020
  3. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Apr 18, 2020
  4. Surface Pro 4 reset. Now start menu, edge, cortana, system, etc.. wont launch.

Start Menu, Cortana, Edge and sound

Hi Angel,

To facilitate your query, we'd like to ask these questions:

• When was the last time you were able to access Start Menu, Cortana, and Microsoft Edge?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer's configuration prior to the issue?

Let us try the methods below and observe.

Method 1: Run Start Menu Troubleshooter.

Try this Start Menu Troubleshooter to automatically fix problem with Cortana and Start Menu.

Method 2: Run System File Checker and DISM commands.

System File Checker is a Windows utility that allow users to scan for and restore corruptions

in Windows system files. Follow these steps for instructions:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type this sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

If SFC did not find any violations, it's still a good idea to run DISM Restorehealth. For instructions, please follow these steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type this Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth and hit Enter.

Keep us posted.

Antoneth Ber, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

Surface Pro 4 reset. Now start menu, edge, cortana, system, etc.. wont launch.

1. Surface Pro 4 reset. Now start menu, edge, cortana, system, etc.. wont launch. - Similar Threads - Surface Pro reset

2. Surface pro 4 wont start after update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface pro 4 wont start after update.: This Monday, I updated my surface pro 4 to the latest windows update available. I think it was 2020-10 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems KB4580364. When the update was complete, I chose "Update and shutdown" option from the power and...
  3. Recovery->Reset PC and now the start button, edge browser, cortana, etc.. won't open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recovery->Reset PC and now the start button, edge browser, cortana, etc.. won't open: Hello guys. I did the reset on the pc to wipe everything including personal files and then it gave me two options: one faster wipe if I'm keeping for myself an one longer wipe if I'm recycling pc. I chose the faster one because I didn't want to wait. After boot I'm expecting...
  4. Surface pro 4 won’t reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface pro 4 won’t reset: Hi, I have problems getting my surface to work. I have reported this in this thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-explorer-keeps-resetting/7e71b114-5f14-4025-8913-e70db50d8fea?messageId=27c843b2-de86-49a8-bf1d-5ff5bf5be683 In...
  5. Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu

in Cortana
    Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu: Hi, can anyone help me out with this? Start, Cortana, Edge & Search Menu are no longer working correctly after downloading Windows 10 Pro 1903 OS Build 18362.329 32 bitX64 for 86 based systems(KB 4512941) Aug 30 update. I've still got the start button & search bar but it...
  6. Start menu, cortana and edge not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, cortana and edge not working: So i have an msi laptop which has been amazing, i stopped using it for a while, decided id start it back up. I did a system refresh, removing everything so i could start fresh, set it all up and my start button doesn't work, so i reset and still nothing... i have watched so...
  7. Surface Pro 4 No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

in Cortana
    Surface Pro 4 No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge: All of the below items don't work: .-Start menu inaccessible .- Search bar doesn't do anything .-Cortana doesn't work .-Can't access windows update "package not registered" Best Regards Terrance...
  8. Surface Pro 4 - No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro 4 - No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge: I have a surface pro 4 and recently did a totally clean re-installation for Windows 10.. Machine is just over 12 months old.. and all of the below items don't work: * Start menu inaccessible * Search bar doesn't do anything * Cortana doesn't work * Microsoft edge doesn't...
  9. Start menu buttons wont launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu buttons wont launch: So today my computer stopped running the apps in the start menu. I have reset a few times and nothing helped. Are my drivers out of date or is there a new update i need. Also the HP support assist says i have an update to need to install but when i install it nothing happens...
  10. Reset Surface Pro 4 Software / now have errors

in Windows 10 Support
    Reset Surface Pro 4 Software / now have errors: I was having problems connecting to my work account so I tried to do a fresh install by using the "Reset" option. After entering my Bit Locker Recovery key it seemed to do what I was looking for. However there were some failures in the Windows update. You would think Windows...