Windows 10: Surface Pro 4 starts in orientation portrait flipped and I can't get it to keep a different...

Discus and support Surface Pro 4 starts in orientation portrait flipped and I can't get it to keep a different... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 11 Insider Preview, connected to 2 monitors. I keep the Surface Pro on its side in landscape orientation. Since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sdmnds, Aug 10, 2022.

1. sdmnds Win User

Surface Pro 4 starts in orientation portrait flipped and I can't get it to keep a different...

I have a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 11 Insider Preview, connected to 2 monitors. I keep the Surface Pro on its side in landscape orientation. Since the last Windows 11 update, every time I reboot, my Surface Pro starts in orientation 'Portrait - flipped' and I have to change it to Landscape to be able to use it. However, it won't hold this setting. I have tried turning the auto-rotate setting on and off, but it doesn't make a difference either way. I don't see anywhere in the settings to take it off of 'tablet mode'. Looking for suggestions on fixing this issue.

:)

sdmnds, Aug 10, 2022
  2. sdmnds Win User

Surface Pro 4 starts in orientation portrait flipped and I can't get it to keep a different setting

I have a Surface Pro 7 running Windows 11 Insider Preview, connected to 2 monitors. I keep the Surface Pro on its side in landscape orientation. Since the last Windows 11 update, every time I reboot, my Surface Pro starts in orientation 'Portrait - flipped' and I have to change it to Landscape to be able to use it. However, it won't hold this setting. I have tried turning the auto-rotate setting on and off, but it doesn't make a difference either way. I don't see anywhere in the settings to take it off of 'tablet mode'. Looking for suggestions on fixing this issue.

sdmnds, Aug 11, 2022
  3. Display opens in landscape orientation, but changes to portrait flipped automatically

My issue: Upon firing up my laptop (windows 10), my log in screen will appear in landscape orientation, as is the norm. However, if I leave it for about 3-5 seconds, regardless of whether I put in my password or not, my screen orientation automatically flips
    to portrait flipped.

What I've tried already:

- Going into settings and flipping orientation back to landscape. This DOES flip back to landscape and it will remain this way, until I put my laptop in sleep mode, close the lid, or shutdown. When I open back up again, my screen orientation flips again.

- Going into settings and searching for a way to change a setting, if there is one. There is none that I can tell.

- Searching around the web for an answer, however, I just come up with solutions for a flipped screen with the easy fix of changing the orientation back using the control+alt+arrow keys method or settings, both of which work temporarily until I open my laptop
    again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KnightVale12, Aug 11, 2022
  4. Surface Pro 4 starts in orientation portrait flipped and I can't get it to keep a different...

How do I set/change the default orientation when I flip the lid on my convertible laptop?

I finally figured out the solution, but this may only apply to my particular Fujitsu model (T904) or that plus a few similar models.

• Open Fujitsu Display Manager
    • Go to the Dock/Undock tab
    • Flip the screen around so that it is physically in tablet mode (note this is NOT the same as "Tablet Mode" in Windows where everything runs full screen, this just means that the screen is folded around so you can't access the keyboard)
    • Set the screen orientation (and any other desired attributes, if there's something else you want to change when physically in tablet mode)
    • Press the "Save current profile" button.

That's it. Now when you flip the screen so the computer is physically configured as a tablet, it will use the orientation you set, instead of the original default portrait orientation.

The key lesson here for anyone is that it is NOT a Windows issue, but rather specific to the tablet model. I don't have a Surface Pro or Surface Book to compare, but I'd curious how Microsoft handles changing the orientation when flipping the screen around
    on the Book. Maybe they don't.

GraniteStateColin, Aug 11, 2022
Thema:

Surface Pro 4 starts in orientation portrait flipped and I can't get it to keep a different...

1. Surface Pro 4 starts in orientation portrait flipped and I can't get it to keep a different... - Similar Threads - Surface Pro starts

2. Posibble to use a second Surface as a portrait oriented wireless display?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Posibble to use a second Surface as a portrait oriented wireless display?: I can set up a second Surface as a wireless display and then project to it, as an extension of my desktop, from my first Surface, but unfortunately I can't make it work for the purpose I want this arrangement for.At home, and at the office, I have the same set up, two...
  3. Posibble to use a second Surface as a portrait oriented wireless display?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Posibble to use a second Surface as a portrait oriented wireless display?: I can set up a second Surface as a wireless display and then project to it, as an extension of my desktop, from my first Surface, but unfortunately I can't make it work for the purpose I want this arrangement for.At home, and at the office, I have the same set up, two...
  4. Surface Pro 4 starts in orientation portrait flipped and I can't get it to keep a different...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 4 starts in orientation portrait flipped and I can't get it to keep a different...: I have a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 11 Insider Preview, connected to 2 monitors. I keep the Surface Pro on its side in landscape orientation. Since the last Windows 11 update, every time I reboot, my Surface Pro starts in orientation 'Portrait - flipped' and I have to...
  5. can I get it in portrait orientation?

in Windows 10 Customization
    can I get it in portrait orientation?: is there any way to change the orientation maybe portrait instead of landscape? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-get-it-in-portrait-orientation/156e23b6-acc9-4506-85c4-02c910ec0fcc
  6. can I get it in portrait orientation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I get it in portrait orientation?: is there any way to change the orientation maybe portrait instead of landscape? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-get-it-in-portrait-orientation/156e23b6-acc9-4506-85c4-02c910ec0fcc
  7. can I get it in portrait orientation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Start menu won't open in portrait orientation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu won't open in portrait orientation: I have been using windows 10 since about 2016. I've gone through 3 different PC iterations through this time and at least 5 reinstalls of windows and have NEVER been able to use the windows start menu with my monitor/s that are setup in portrait orientation. Works just fine...
  9. Portrait Orientation Hack?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Portrait Orientation Hack?: Hey guys! I'm on a dual screen set up with both monitors being ultrawide (productivity babyyyyyy). But on my second monitor that is in portrait to save desk space, I'm always having to drag windows around to fix the bottom or top half of the screen. I want to know if there...
  10. Surface Pro 4 doesn't start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Pro 4 doesn't start: I installed the latest insider version 177738. One day later it suddenly stopped to work, doesn't respond. Keeping power button long enough down Windows menu disappears (system closes, i guess). After that i am not able to boot it anymore, even though i've tried every trick...