Windows 10: Surface Pro 4 won't allow any network PC's access to its shared folders

Discus and support Surface Pro 4 won't allow any network PC's access to its shared folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have shared some folders on my Surface Pro 4. While I can "see" the Surface from other networked PC's, I am unable to access anything on it. I get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AdriaanSachtler, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Surface Pro 4 won't allow any network PC's access to its shared folders

I have shared some folders on my Surface Pro 4. While I can "see" the Surface from other networked PC's, I am unable to access anything on it. I get a dialog for Enter Network Credentials on the other PC's. I am the owner of both the surface and a desktop so I use the same login id and password on both, but the Surface always gives The user name or password is incorrect. I have spent hours making sure that Windows is fully up to date and that all the network file sharing settings are correct, with password requirement turned off, no matter. I have tried network reset, no difference. I have restored my surface using a disk image to about 7 months go and done all the Windows updates, no difference. I reset the router, reconnected all network cables. On the other hand, the surface can access shared folders on my desktop OK. A third PC on the network also cannot get to the Surface shared folder. My desktop can access shared folders on the non-Surface PC OK. All PC's have Windows 10 (surface and desktop have pro, both on win version 1903) and use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes pro, no other virus software. All PC's have the same workgroup name, network set to private. Why cannot I access the shared folders on the Surface????

Any help appreciated. Thanks,

:)

AdriaanSachtler, Nov 8, 2019
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Nov 8, 2019
  3. wortex Win User
    My PC is not listed in Network

Hi again

One step closer

Now is it possible to open HT-PC shared folders in Networklist on the HT-PC.
    The HT-PC is visible on the other computer but not accessible

I got same error message on other computer in network when trying to access shared HT-PC folders

Problem found
    The remote device or resource won´t accept the connection

"The divice or resource (HT-PC) is not set up to accept connections om port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".

wortex, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Frogger Win User

Surface Pro 4 won't allow any network PC's access to its shared folders

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Surface Pro 4 won't allow any network PC's access to its shared folders :)

Frogger, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Surface Pro 4 won't allow any network PC's access to its shared folders

1. Surface Pro 4 won't allow any network PC's access to its shared folders - Similar Threads - Surface Pro won't

2. Can't access shared folder on the network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access shared folder on the network: Hello,I'm trying to share a folder in my computer with another computer on my network my computer is Win11, the other Win10. The other computer sees the folder and my computer, but when they try to access it, the following error message is shown: 'You don't have permission to...
  3. Can't access shared folder on the network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access shared folder on the network: Hello,I'm trying to share a folder in my computer with another computer on my network my computer is Win11, the other Win10. The other computer sees the folder and my computer, but when they try to access it, the following error message is shown: 'You don't have permission to...
  4. Cannot access any network shares

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access any network shares: For some reason, and for some time now, my Windows 10 system cannot access any network share. This includes a WD MyCloud and a new Synology NAS. Other computers in my household can connect fine kids gaming PC, laptop and are prompted to sign in with a username and password,...
  5. SURFACE ALARMS WON'T WORK!!! Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SURFACE ALARMS WON'T WORK!!! Surface Pro 4: Here we go again. I have a Surface Pro 4 running the latest version of Windows 10. It is fully updated. I have these settings: - "On battery power, turn off after: Never" - "When plugged in, turn off after: Never" - "On battery power, PC goes to sleep after: Never" -...
  6. Remote access not allowing access on Surface Pro & Surface Studio

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote access not allowing access on Surface Pro & Surface Studio: Hi. I have a Surface Studio 2 and Surface Pro latest. Both W10 fully updated. I clearly have a Microsoft Account in order to have joined this community, yet remote access will not accept my password for that account, thus not allowing me remote access to my computers. Same...
  7. Surface pro 4

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface pro 4: Will not allow use of mouse and it is showing red as usual. Restart and shutdown were done. Also can't delete numerous emails using shift. Help please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-4/7672285a-3b80-40cd-951b-38b76f76bc2e
  8. Surface Pro 4

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Surface Pro 4: I have an issue where when I switch on my Surface Pro 4 it boots are far as the screen saver and shows at the bottom that it is in Flight Mode only, no wifi etc. It also states the camera not available and requests sign in with pin which it will not accept or my password will...
  9. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Surface Pro 4: Updates available Surface Pro 4. 57858
  10. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 4: Anyone else think it will run cooler than the Surface Pro 3? Anyone experienced this? 28169