Windows 10: Surface Pro 4

Discus and support Surface Pro 4 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; OK, i will try to make this short as possible and my apologies if it sounds like a ramble. So, here it goes. I purchased a new Surface Pro 4 in Jan... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Balancedmess, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Surface Pro 4

OK, i will try to make this short as possible and my apologies if it sounds like a ramble. So, here it goes.

I purchased a new Surface Pro 4 in Jan 2019. All was well until about Aug. 2019 when I started noticing the memory would stay full. Then by Sept. 2019 it was duplicating my photos and files. It wouldn't take flask drives or SD cards well, it would either not read them or wouldn't let me transfer the info download or upload. Honestly, I have a crazy ex that I had just got away from, and I really thought he hacking me. Every time I searched one of the actions or symptoms of how the surface acted it would always bring up I was hacked or had a key logger on my device. I kept having to change my passwords only to get locked back out the next day. I researched for over a month and couldn't find anything. Well I called Microsoft and told them all the problems I was having and I sat on the phone all day. I started around 10am and we didn't officially get off the phone until after 10pm With different solutions the woman over the phone suggest I do a remote fix. I had seen the warnings of fake customer service lines, like I said I had been doing research for months etc. So before I gave up control to her I asked a lot of questions. She continued to tell me I did not have to do the remote connection, but she would have to call me back blah blah blah. Out of frustration I finally said OK. We set it up around 7:30 that night, I was having to handle and be with my kids so I put on my headphones and while she was still on the phone I couldn't keep up with everything she was doing. So long story short she said it was a driver that needed to be updated and she told me to watch as she updated everything, and I did, I just have no clue at what I was looking at. She said someone from Microsoft would contact me within a few days to check up and they did and everything seemed to be working fine until Nov.'s Windows update 1903. I woke up it said it had failed to update I hit retry while it was processing I noticed there were multiple folders on my screen that were new, they were all rearranged and they had a check mark on them as if they were not backed up anymore to the cloud. Then my screen kept flashing low memory and showing what looked like the command prompt screen failed update numerous times then took me to a screen that was the login start screen...I put in my password, it states I have the wrong password. Which I know its right. I tried for 6 days to get in it...nothing...I wait til a weekend and call Microsoft again. The guy was an **** and was practically mocking the whole situation. He kept wanting me to do a remote session fix, but i kept telling him it would not let me do anything. He continued to be rude and even a friend that was here told me the people working at the company would never act like that, So I gave up talking to him. It was weird because every time i called back I kept getting what sounded like the same guy. Anyhow... I have been looking up everything when I can and it is still not fixed. As of now, I have got to the command prompt page like I stated at 1st it wouldn't do anything but I have to get there by pushing the shift key down first, then restarting it. I click on command prompt but it shows a " File 'Z' " instead of local disk C and any command I put in it acts like it is not recognizable. I have took the steps to wipe out the old password and do a new one--it still says wrong password. i followed the instructions to create the C: file folder again it still in command prompt-- it seems to work until I get to the last step and then it starts back at "Z:" file. I tried to do a recovery-- it states no folder exists. Try to put in an external method usb, flashdrive it acts like its not even there. I don't know if it was all just coincidence about the phone calls to Microsoft, if it was just a driver issue and its as simple as that or i sound like a Re-Re and this is a whole other problem. I do know the updates I was receiving seemed to give me more problems each time which seemed to be every other day and I am sorry this is so long. But I am tired of calling, I live in a town where people aren't big in tech, and hate that I have a $800 computer just sitting. So any advice would be appreciated because the closest repair shop is 79 miles away. Thanks

:)

Balancedmess, Mar 17, 2020

2. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Mar 17, 2020
  3. Surface Pro 4 - Crashes / Freezes

Hi Edward,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will guide you in the right direction.

The main causes observed so far are driver issues, so I suggest you to install and update all the drivers and see if it helps.

Download drivers and firmware for Surface

I would also suggest you to install all Windows update and check.

Follow the steps:

1. On the search bar type “Settings”.

2. Click on “Update and Security”.

3. Click on “Check for Updates”.

4. Read and accept the license terms, and then tap or click Finish if the update requires it.

Reference:

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...ce-pro-4?category=performance-and-maintenance

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Suvarna Govinda, Mar 17, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Surface Pro 4

Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 - April 5th 2017

Source: Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 (05 April 2017) Surface

See also:

Brink, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

Surface Pro 4

1. Surface Pro 4 - Similar Threads - Surface Pro

2. Surface Pro 8 Camera keeps stopping functioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 8 Camera keeps stopping functioning: This problem has been impacting me ever since I purchased my Surface Pro 8 in December 2021 - the camera frequently stops functioning.This often happens during a video call if not at the start. I have followed various instructions to reset it - e.g. as...
  3. Surface Pro 8 Camera keeps stopping functioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 8 Camera keeps stopping functioning: This problem has been impacting me ever since I purchased my Surface Pro 8 in December 2021 - the camera frequently stops functioning.This often happens during a video call if not at the start. I have followed various instructions to reset it - e.g. as...
  4. Surface pro 6 : cannot enter recovery, cannot reinstall, no drives found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 6 : cannot enter recovery, cannot reinstall, no drives found: Hello,My surface pro 6 just refused to log in windows one day. It was not possible to do recovery. i tried to reinstall windows with a bootable USB, however, when it was time to install, i got the 'No device drivers were found' message.I then downloaded RST driver on intel...
  5. Surface pro 6 : cannot enter recovery, cannot reinstall, no drives found

Surface pro 6 : cannot enter recovery, cannot reinstall, no drives found: Hello,My surface pro 6 just refused to log in windows one day. It was not possible to do recovery. i tried to reinstall windows with a bootable USB, however, when it was time to install, i got the 'No device drivers were found' message.I then downloaded RST driver on intel...
  6. Surface pro 6 : cannot enter recovery, cannot reinstall, no drives found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Surface Pro locked in Recovery Mode and I have no Bitlocker recovery key. Now what?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro locked in Recovery Mode and I have no Bitlocker recovery key. Now what?: My Surface Pro 8 or 9 I think is locked and in recovery mode and is requiring a Bitlocker key to unlock. I do not have a key and I do not have a personal Microsoft account only a work-related one. I have never signed into my work related Microsoft account on this Surface so...
  8. Surface Pro locked in Recovery Mode and I have no Bitlocker recovery key. Now what?

Surface Pro locked in Recovery Mode and I have no Bitlocker recovery key. Now what?: My Surface Pro 8 or 9 I think is locked and in recovery mode and is requiring a Bitlocker key to unlock. I do not have a key and I do not have a personal Microsoft account only a work-related one. I have never signed into my work related Microsoft account on this Surface so...
  9. Surface 5 Windows 11 Pro Setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface 5 Windows 11 Pro Setup: Hi, I just purchased a Surface 5 laptop. I didn't realize it was Windows Pro would be nice if in bold the description on Amazon says ONLY WORKS WITH FOR BUSINESSES. Apparently, Microsoft will not allow me to use the computer locally or with my personal Microsoft account? It...
  10. Surface 5 Windows 11 Pro Setup

Surface 5 Windows 11 Pro Setup: Hi, I just purchased a Surface 5 laptop. I didn't realize it was Windows Pro would be nice if in bold the description on Amazon says ONLY WORKS WITH FOR BUSINESSES. Apparently, Microsoft will not allow me to use the computer locally or with my personal Microsoft account? It...