Windows 10: Surface Pro 6 and Win 10 Home with bitlocker enabled out of the box?

Discus and support Surface Pro 6 and Win 10 Home with bitlocker enabled out of the box? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So I bought a brand new Surface Pro 6 today, Win 10 Home is the default OEM operating system installed. However I noticed that bitlocker is enabled.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by A55imilat0r, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Surface Pro 6 and Win 10 Home with bitlocker enabled out of the box?

So I bought a brand new Surface Pro 6 today, Win 10 Home is the default OEM operating system installed.

However I noticed that bitlocker is enabled.

According to the windows 10 comparison page only devices with Windows 10 Pro are entitled to have bitlocker as a Windows 10 feature.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/compare

How is it possible for Microsoft to enable a feature on their devices that they do not allow on anyone else's devices that run Windows 10 "Home" to have?

Does this mean that everyone with Surface Pro should disable bitlocker or should Microsoft Surface division as an OEM correct the licencing internally with Microsoft Windows division and upgrade everyone with a surface pro to Windows 10 "Pro"

:)

A55imilat0r, Dec 16, 2018

2. Not Able to Enable Hardware Based Bitlocker Encryption On Surface Pro 4 (Windows 10 Pro)

Ok, I have a feeling that this is a larger Windows 10 issue, but I am experiencing this with the Surface Pro 4, the ideal test hardware for anything Microsoft, right? Surface Pro 6 and Win 10 Home with bitlocker enabled out of the box? :)

Here is what we are trying to accomplish:

Encrypt our Surface Pro 4's (win 10 Pro) using Hardware-Based Encryption

Why?

A) Because it is faster for the SSD to perform the encryption rather than the process, since the SSD is already encrypted

B) Better battery life (because the processor is not encrypting the volume)

C) Performing software encryption on an already encrypted volume defeats many of the internal optimizations that SSDs have built in (leading to slower performance)

How?

We have taken stock Surface Pro 4s, straight from the box. No applications or updates have been installed, we have not added to a domain. The only modification we have made is to the Local Group Policy:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Bitlocker Drive Encryption/Operating System Drives

*Require additional authentication at startup (Enabled, default options)

*Enable use of BitLocker Aauthentication requireing preboot keyboard input on slates (Enabled, default options)

*Configure use of hardware-based encryption for operating system drives (Enabled, default options)

What's Wrong:

When I go to enable Bitlocker, I am being provided the prompt to encrypt Used Only, or Whole Drive. From all of the literature I have read, this prompt indicates Software Encryption. When I select Full Drive, it takes a while (over 10 minutes) to encrypt.
    Again, from my reading, Hardware

Encryption should be immediate (as everything is already encrypted).

Question:

What am I missing? Is there an issue with Hardware Encryption that I have not been able to identify on the Surface Pro 4? Is this an OS issue? Are there any other troubleshooting steps that I can take a look at? Again, these are stock units, fresh out of
    the box from Microsoft.

Sources (these are just some, all have been verified using additional sources that repeat the information):

Slower Performance- Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500

Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500

Steps to enable encryption- How to Enable BitLocker Hardware Encryption with SSDs

How to Enable BitLocker Hardware Encryption with SSDs • Helge Klein

Technet on Why to Hardware Encrypt - Encrypted Hard Drive

Encrypted Hard Drive

GP Settings to Enable Hardware Encryption - Enabling Hardware Acceleration of BitLocker

Site Unavailable

Tags Bitlocker, Encryption, Windows 10 Pro, Hardware Encryption, 1511

PhillyPhotogMagee, Dec 16, 2018
  3. Saem Win User
    Re-enable bitlocker on Surface Pro 3 (Windows 10)

Hi, I turned off bitlocker on my Surface Pro 3's main drive and now I want to turn it back on. But it comes with a message that I can not do so because it's a system drive. How do I re-enable bitlocker on my surface pro 3's main (OS) drive?

thank you in advance.

4. virgil.n Win User

Surface Pro 6 and Win 10 Home with bitlocker enabled out of the box?

Surface Pro 3 from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro: Bitlocker fails to turn on in Win 10

The question is: is it something wrong at this point in time (mid-August 2015) with the combination Surface Pro 3 + Windows 8.1 Pro (preinstalled) + upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (offered online) + Bitlocker?

The story is:

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with Windows 8.1 Pro (8GB RAM, 256 SSD), and Bitlocker turned on on drive C: (Windows partition). I received the notification about Windows 10 being ready for upgrade. Before starting the upgrade I turned Bitlocker off.

The upgrade went very well, the system fully functional after the upgrade, all documents and applications in place.

Then I wanted Bitlocker back on in Windows 10 Pro. The process fails when trying to save the key. I have three options on the screen: save to Microsoft account, save to file, or print. None of them works, I get a red x with the message the key cannot be
    saved. The button "Next" stays inactive, cannot continue. My printer is fully functional, I'm logged on with my Microsoft account credentials, I have a USB flash drive plugged in. I tried two different USB drives, no change.

Few notes:

- at the beginning of the process there is a message about the recovery becoming unavailable unless I reactivate it manually and move it to the system drive;

- running reagentc /info after Bitlocker failure shows Windows RE status disabled.

In the end I downgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro from the recovery. Again the process went flawlessly, I found everything back in place. Then I turned Bitlocker on and it worked as expected, I was able to save the key in a file then print it.

For comparison, I upgraded a work laptop (Win 7 Pro OEM, HDD instead of SSD, TPM 1.2) to Win 10 using a DVD with the downloaded ISO for Windows 10 Pro. Then I enabled Bitlocker. No problems, it worked, and Windows RE status is enabled at the end of the process.
    The reason I used the DVD is the Win 10 upgrade is not offered yet for this specific brand/model (I subscribed for the online upgrade, but I didn't get the "upgrade ready" message).

virgil.n, Dec 16, 2018
Thema:

Surface Pro 6 and Win 10 Home with bitlocker enabled out of the box?

1. Surface Pro 6 and Win 10 Home with bitlocker enabled out of the box? - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Home

2. Surface pro 6 is not boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface pro 6 is not boot: Hi, My surface pro 6 is not start up anymore. Windows logo is shown and then disappears. this happens until the battery is out. So i try to boot it from usb. I downloaded the image from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-recovery-image to create the bootable device....
  3. Surface pro 6 is not boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 6 is not boot: Hi, My surface pro 6 is not start up anymore. Windows logo is shown and then disappears. this happens until the battery is out. So i try to boot it from usb. I downloaded the image from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-recovery-image to create the bootable device....
  4. Surface pro 6 is not boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Surface pro 6 error

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Surface pro 6 error: When trying to add a school account it says that the system cannot find the file specified. Don't really know what to do from here Is there any fix? I already tried using the scanning system using the cmd...
  6. Win 10 Night light Issue on Surface Pro 6

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 Night light Issue on Surface Pro 6: Hey everyone. I am at my wits end trying to figure out what is going on with my Surface Pro 6. I've contacted Microsoft a total of 10 times since July 5 2020, and nothing Surface Support has done has helped. My surface has been replaced with a refurbished one 4 times since...
  7. Downgrade from Windows 10 pro to home on my surface pro 6

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Downgrade from Windows 10 pro to home on my surface pro 6: After I bought my surface pro 6 in the early of this year, I upgrade my windows from home to pro use my key, but I want to use this pro key to my other PC, and downgrade the windows of my surface pro to home version, how can I make it?...
  8. Win 10, Surface Pro 6 & "S"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10, Surface Pro 6 & "S": By accident, I Discovered my Windows Operating System on Surface Pro 6, carries a trailing "S" for surface. And it appears if I delete the S, any non-windows apps will fail (or be removed). True Yes/NO? Tried signing up for "TECH-NET", ASKED VERSION OF WINDOWS - MINE NOT...
  9. Surface Pro 6, Win 10, SD card access?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Pro 6, Win 10, SD card access?: Surface Pro 6, Win 10, SD card access? I cannot access same. I assume it not formatted is main reason (my guess). or - my 128 GB is too big? How/what driver (?) I need to add? Tocar...
  10. Surface Pro 6?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 6?: What DVD CD external unit is recommended for my new Surface Pro 6? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-6/ae634952-a688-4247-85d7-780381370a9a

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 home 1809 bitlocker surface pro 6

2. surface pro 6 bitlocker

3. surface pro windows home bitlocker

4. bitlocker windows 10 home surface pro 6,
  5. cant install SurfacePro6_Win10_17763_1900807_2,
  6. bitlocker onsurface pro 6 windows home,
  7. bitlocker on surface pro 6,
  8. why does my surface pro 6 still have bitlocker with windows home,
  9. bitloker urfce pro 6