Windows 10: Surface Pro (6): Connection to WiFi Router (that is connected toa 4G LTE) vs. iPhone...

Discus and support Surface Pro (6): Connection to WiFi Router (that is connected toa 4G LTE) vs. iPhone... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ok, I've got what I'd call a rather weird issue... Essentially I've switched over from an older macbook pro to the brand new surface pro 6 (at work),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Daniel Gentile, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Surface Pro (6): Connection to WiFi Router (that is connected toa 4G LTE) vs. iPhone...

Ok,

I've got what I'd call a rather weird issue...

Essentially I've switched over from an older macbook pro to the brand new surface pro 6 (at work), all well.

As we don't have a landline at the building anymore but rather excellent high speed 4G LTE connections, we've been using a WiFi Router that goes over 4G LTE... I can easily get download speeds of 50-80+Mbps - fast enough for what we do.

Sometimes I would use my iPhone 7 mobile hot spot feature ( connected to the same 4G LTE Network as the small wifi router)...

Now I've noticed this weird thing:

On the macbook, when I measure the speed with speedtest.net, the iPhone Hotspot (or a coleague's Samsung..) perform virtually identical to the Router.

Same speed with only minimal variations - if any at all.

BUT on the Surface Pro 6 with Win 10 1809 - as soon as I connect to the iPhone's hotspot (or the Samsung's hotspot) the Speed drops dramatically.. down to say 14-17Mbps... connect it back to the wifi (again going over the same 4G LTE) - it's back to it's top speed.

placing the old macbook pro side by side, and repeating the tests, the hotspot's speed is FAST... back on the surface, triple checking the test... again really slowed down to 14-17... switch to the WiFi router - full speed.

I somehow assume - but I can't place my finger on it - that windows realises it's connected to a mobile phone's hotspot and decides this is a metered connection and throttles the bandwidth...

(and just in case: all three devices, the WiFi Router, the two mobile phone, use the SAME provider, the same Contract, the same fully unlimited 4G LTE speed...)

I'm at a loss on how to solve this, but it's sort of annoying.

thanks for any help!

Daniel

:)

Daniel Gentile, Feb 7, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Surface 3 (4G LTE) now available in the U.S.!

Source: Surface 3 (4G LTE) now available in the U.S.! - Surface Blog

Brink, Feb 7, 2019
  3. dgordon42 Win User
    4G Pocket Wifi or 4G Router

Hi,
    I'm using a Huawei E5372 4G mobile WiFi.
    I'm also in an area with a good 4G signal.
    I use this device to connect 4 computers, a Windows phone, and an iPod to the internet, and it works really well.

All the computers connect via WiFi, and are networked to each other.
    It is possible to connect via USB, but I don't, as the WiFi is much handier.

The WiFi signal is not as strong as the signal from a WiFi router. If you are in a large building, with thick brick walls, you may be better off with the router option.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

dgordon42, Feb 7, 2019
  4. MsIda Win User

Surface Pro (6): Connection to WiFi Router (that is connected toa 4G LTE) vs. iPhone...

Surface Pro 2 Bluetooth non-compatibility with iphone 6

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for the information.

I uninstalled and re-installed the Bluetooth in my Surface Pro 2 successfully.

The 2 devices paired successfully too, the Surface Pro 2 shows that it's connected to the iPhone 6 Plus, and the iPhone shows that its connected to the Surface Pro 2.

Although the Hotspot is switched On, it's not connecting with the Surface Pro 2, ie. the blue line is not flashing on the top of the iphone screen saying "Personal Hotspot: 1 Connection".

Any other suggestions, and please remember I run Windows 10 on my device, and my iPhone 6 software is always updated to the latest version.......

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards

Ida

MsIda, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

Surface Pro (6): Connection to WiFi Router (that is connected toa 4G LTE) vs. iPhone...

1. Surface Pro (6): Connection to WiFi Router (that is connected toa 4G LTE) vs. iPhone... - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Connection

2. Windows 11 can't connect to wifi 6 router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 can't connect to wifi 6 router: My window 11 can't connect to my wifi 6 router using the AX protocol, the network shows in the tray but when trying to connect it simply says it cannot connect to it.Funnily enough it connects normally if I change the wireless adapter properties to use the AC band instead,...
  3. Windows 11 can't connect to wifi 6 router

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 can't connect to wifi 6 router: My window 11 can't connect to my wifi 6 router using the AX protocol, the network shows in the tray but when trying to connect it simply says it cannot connect to it.Funnily enough it connects normally if I change the wireless adapter properties to use the AC band instead,...
  4. Surface 6 pro WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface 6 pro WiFi: Since the last update my Surface 6 pro takes a while to automatically connect to WIFI. It was fine before the update. Its faster to manually connect. If I leave it after start up it can take 10 minutes but connects eventually. No issue with the router and all other W10 & W8.2...
  5. Airpods wont connect to surface pro 6

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Airpods wont connect to surface pro 6: Hello, I have a surface pro 6, and although I am able to pair my airpods with my surface pro, I used to be able to connect them to my computer but now I am no longer able to. They just do that thing where I click on them to connect and it says either "cannot connect" or...
  6. Windows 10 4G LTE & LAN Connectivity

Windows 10 4G LTE & LAN Connectivity: Hi, I'm using build 1709 on a new Panasonic CF33 and trying to use the built in 4G LTE mobile network to access the internet at the same time as using a LAN port to connect to some equipment that uses an IP address. It will not allow both network connections at the same time....
  7. Surface 3 LTE - Cannot connect with 4G mobile provider

Surface 3 LTE - Cannot connect with 4G mobile provider: Hi there, I have a Surface 3 LTE 4G/128GB and would like to enjoy the LTE feature in Singapore. MyCircles SIM card works fine, but not the TPG SIM card which is 4G. With the TPG SIM, I get "No Service". Network diagnosis tells me that there's a SIM2 pin that I need to...
  8. surface pro 6 won't connect to webpages

surface pro 6 won't connect to webpages: trying to download chrome or just go on any website , tried edge and IE both just show the homepage and allow me to search but would not let me click the link. or would say waiting for response. was working fine till yesterday so I uninstalled chrome and now I can't...
  9. Connecting to Router/WIfi

Connecting to Router/WIfi: I can not connect to my Router/Modem at all. I have tried everything there is to be able to connect. I did get a msg come up from Microsoft that said problem was with Microsoft & to try back later. That was 2 days ago. Thank you...
  10. 4G Pocket Wifi or 4G Router

4G Pocket Wifi or 4G Router: I am using Windows 10 and wanted to know if there is a significant difference if I use one of the two. 4G Pocket Wifi 4G Router Considering the same signal Strenght in my area same brand on the devices above. from Huwawei for the Router I am not going to use an...