Windows 10: Surface Pro 6 - Power on Password required

Discus and support Surface Pro 6 - Power on Password required in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Over the years, I have always added a power on password to my laptops. This has always been set up in the BIOS. I am now the owner of a Microsoft... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MoabUtah, Jan 21, 2021.

1. MoabUtah Win User

Surface Pro 6 - Power on Password required

Over the years, I have always added a power on password to my laptops. This has always been set up in the BIOS.
    I am now the owner of a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10 v20H2 [a lovely machine I might add] but have not been able to figure out how to set up a power on password.
    The UEFI password has been set but I have failed to get a power on password. Searching Google and my question invariably gets changed to setting an UEFI password rather than a power on.

Is anyone her familiar with doing this please?

:)

MoabUtah, Jan 21, 2021

2. Stuck at OneDrive screen during Surface Pro 6 initial setup

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Try the below suggested steps.

Method 1

1. Unplug all the external devices except Mouse and Keyboard.
    2. Try to reboot the device and check the status of the issue.
    Method 2

I would suggest you to perform Power drain by following the suggested steps.

1. Press and hold the Power Button down for 30-40 seconds.
    2. Hold the Volume Rocker up and Power ON for almost 20 second.
    3. Release the power button and wait for next 10-15 seconds.
    4. Press the power button to turn on your Surface and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jan 21, 2021
  3. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Jan 21, 2021
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Advice required - Post Upgrade - Suspect Pro 2 is Bricked

Before try that, have tried resetting the UEFI options?

To reset the Surface Pro to the default UEFI settings, follow these steps:

• Press the Power button and the Volume Up button at same time while are starting the Surface Pro device.
    • Set Trusted Platform Module (TPM) to enabled.
    • Set Secure Boot Control to enabled.
    • Press Install Default Secure Boot keys.
    • Press Exit setup, and then save the changes.

Thema:

1. Surface Pro 6 - Power on Password required - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Power

2. Surface pro 6 is not boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface pro 6 is not boot: Hi, My surface pro 6 is not start up anymore. Windows logo is shown and then disappears. this happens until the battery is out. So i try to boot it from usb. I downloaded the image from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-recovery-image to create the bootable device....
  3. Surface pro 6 is not boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 6 is not boot: Hi, My surface pro 6 is not start up anymore. Windows logo is shown and then disappears. this happens until the battery is out. So i try to boot it from usb. I downloaded the image from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-recovery-image to create the bootable device....
  4. Surface pro 6 is not boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Surface 6 pro WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface 6 pro WiFi: Since the last update my Surface 6 pro takes a while to automatically connect to WIFI. It was fine before the update. Its faster to manually connect. If I leave it after start up it can take 10 minutes but connects eventually. No issue with the router and all other W10 & W8.2...
  6. Surface pro 6 error

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Surface pro 6 error: When trying to add a school account it says that the system cannot find the file specified. Don't really know what to do from here Is there any fix? I already tried using the scanning system using the cmd...
  7. Surface Pro 6 - Power on Password required

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 6 - Power on Password required: Over the years, I have always added a power on password to my laptops. This has always been set up in the BIOS. I am now the owner of a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10 v20H2 [a lovely machine I might add] but have not been able to figure out how to set up a power on...
  8. Surface Pro 6 Brightness

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 6 Brightness: I am unable to change my brightness! At 0 or 100 the brightness is the same, I have tried Powershell admin scan, updating drivers, going into power setting and into the display adaptors but nothing works. My computer is also up to date so there are no new updates, any help...
  9. Surface Pro 6 Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro 6 Crash: Hi there, My Surface Pro 6 crashed and needed to restart. I was playing Two Point Hospital at the time and was hoping a hardware issue could be ruled out? This blue screen also happened when I was changing screen resolutions when playing The Sims 4 a few months ago. I'm...
  10. Surface Pro 6?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 6?: What DVD CD external unit is recommended for my new Surface Pro 6? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-6/ae634952-a688-4247-85d7-780381370a9a

Users found this page by searching for:

1. What is Surface 6 UEFI default password

2. What is Surface pro 6 UEFI default password