Windows 10: Surface Pro 7 frequently crashes to BSOD

Discus and support Surface Pro 7 frequently crashes to BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there. Hope someone here may be able to help me out with this issue. I recently bought a Surface Pro 7, and it is bluescreening several times per... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by odds0ck, Jan 16, 2020.

1. odds0ck Win User

Surface Pro 7 frequently crashes to BSOD

Hi there. Hope someone here may be able to help me out with this issue. I recently bought a Surface Pro 7, and it is bluescreening several times per day, seemingly with a new error message each time. I am also experiencing random restarts without a visible bluescreen.

These are the BSOD error messages I have seen:
    KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION

From the minidumps I can also see a couple of others possibly the restarts without BSOD:
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

This is what my Reliability Monitor looks like:

Surface Pro 7 frequently crashes to BSOD a3154a99-5b02-41b3-b7f7-4bd19f2ad627?upload=true.png

Not so great. I started using the device on Jan 4th.

I've uploaded five minidumps here all that were available, as well as System information

All Windows Updates are installed. I did that immediately on first use, and again on the recent patch Tuesday.

In searching for a possible explanation I have run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit*, Windows Memory Diagnostic, MemTest86, Checkdisk and SFC. None of these detected any problems.

* In Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, I skipped the test which required the power adapter, as I did not have it available at the time. I also skipped the test involving the microphone.

Significant changes I have made to the system:

Jan 10th: Installed a 256 GB microSDXC card and formatted it with NTFS.

Jan 13th: Upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Pro by entering a key I already owned and I also enabled Bitlocker on the OS disk.

:)

odds0ck, Jan 16, 2020

2. Surface Pro 3 BSOD REGISTRY_ERROR

I have a surface pro 3 that, in the last month, crashes constantly. This occurs most frequently when it goes to sleep, but it also occurs while I'm actively using the machine.

I searched the forums and found this

BSOD Finding and fixing them

The post appeared in a thread where others were experiencing the same problems. I took the steps mentioned in that post, and I can share those files as requested in the post.

Thanks for your help.

AndrewMacFarlane_1968, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Surface Pro 4 - Crashes / Freezes

Hi Edward,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will guide you in the right direction.

The main causes observed so far are driver issues, so I suggest you to install and update all the drivers and see if it helps.

Download drivers and firmware for Surface

I would also suggest you to install all Windows update and check.

Follow the steps:

1. On the search bar type “Settings”.

2. Click on “Update and Security”.

3. Click on “Check for Updates”.

4. Read and accept the license terms, and then tap or click Finish if the update requires it.

Reference:

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...ce-pro-4?category=performance-and-maintenance

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Suvarna Govinda, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Surface Pro 7 frequently crashes to BSOD

Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Surface Pro 7 frequently crashes to BSOD

1. Surface Pro 7 frequently crashes to BSOD - Similar Threads - Surface Pro frequently

2. Surface Pro 7 BSOD SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 7 BSOD SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION: Hi We have a Surface Pro 7 that keeps blue screening. We enabled driver verifier and please attached bluescreen dump file, it shows the bug string check as SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION, but we can't find out which driver is causing it. If somebody is able to help...
  3. Surface Pro 7 BSOD SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 7 BSOD SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION: Hi We have a Surface Pro 7 that keeps blue screening. We enabled driver verifier and please attached bluescreen dump file, it shows the bug string check as SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION, but we can't find out which driver is causing it. If somebody is able to help...
  4. Surface pro 7

Surface pro 7: Today my surface presented this see picture on the screen after having used it for at least 3 hours in a row. I don't know what caused it but maybe it was because it got hot. I am very disappointed in how easily it was damaged. has it happened to someone? has anyone solved...
  5. Frequent BSOD's on Surface Pro 5.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent BSOD's on Surface Pro 5.: So I've been plagued by BSOD's for a long time now with this device. I've attempted a lot of troubleshooting based on random threads around the internet, but I felt like I should probably make my own post at this point so I can get some proper help with my situation. As I...
  6. Frequent BSOD's on Surface Pro 5.

Frequent BSOD's on Surface Pro 5.: So I've been plagued by BSOD's for a long time now with this device. I've attempted a lot of troubleshooting based on random threads around the internet, but I felt like I should probably make my own post at this point so I can get some proper help with my situation. As I...
  7. Frequent BSOD's on Surface Pro 5.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. New Surface Pro 7 BSOD Loop

New Surface Pro 7 BSOD Loop: Hi I have just Purchased a new SP7 yesterday and just finished the setup while waiting for Dropbox files to sync it went into BSOD and now will Loop without stopping....
  9. Surface Pro Frequent Crashes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface Pro Frequent Crashes: Hello everyone! I have a Surface Pro 4. It's relatively new, less than a year old, and I'm running into a frequent (and annoying) problem. I have battery saver mode set at 50%, but almost as soon as it goes into battery saver mode (or less, give or take, so maybe at 45%...
  10. Surface pro 2 crashing BSOD

Surface pro 2 crashing BSOD: Hi, dont know if this was opened somewhere else already or not. We bought 4 machines, all of them crash with BSOD only if they are unplugged - not being charged. As soon as you run any of the office apps and create a new spreadsheet/workbook error msg is:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface pro 7 bsod

2. surface pro 7 crashing

3. surface pro crashing frequently

4. surface 7 regularly crashes,
  5. suface pro 7 skype bsod,
  6. windows surface 7 pro keeps crashing,
  7. surface pro 7 bluescreen,
  8. surface pro 7 crashes,
  9. surface pro bsod with noise,
  10. surface pro 7 keeps crashing,
  11. BSOD surface pro 7 ts,