Windows 10: Surface Pro 7: How force tablet mode off with keyboard folded back?

Discus and support Surface Pro 7: How force tablet mode off with keyboard folded back? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, please help - this is driving me nuts! I'm trying to use a Surface Pro 7 connected to external monitors & keyboard etc via a dock, but because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dennis.jb, Sep 28, 2020.

1. dennis.jb Win User

Surface Pro 7: How force tablet mode off with keyboard folded back?

Hi, please help - this is driving me nuts!

I'm trying to use a Surface Pro 7 connected to external monitors & keyboard etc via a dock, but because the Surface's keyboard is folded back, it seems to force the Surface into Tablet mode and disables the option to put it back in 'desktop' mode again.

If I fold the keyboard out again, all's fine and it reverts back to desktop mode. However, the Surface won't sit in a stand to put its screen at the right height on my desk with its keyboard out.

I've changed the Tablet settings to "Never use tablet mode" & "Don't switch to tablet mode", but still the moment the keyboard folds back, off it whooshes to Tablet mode again.

I understand this is probably by design as normally when the keyboard is folded back, it's probably going to be used as a tablet, but obviously this isn't the case when an external keyboard/mouse is attached.

Is there a way to prevent Tablet mode from activating?

Thanks in advance :

Surface Pro 7: How force tablet mode off with keyboard folded back? fbfae316-de55-4cd1-b954-6f1a55843714?upload=true.png

:)

dennis.jb, Sep 28, 2020
  2. jimtut Win User

Surface Pro 4: closing type cover activates tablet mode

I have a Surface Pro 4 with the Surface Dock hooked to an external monitor (via DisplayPort) and a keyboard & mouse.

When I close the type cover on the Surface, it automatically activates Tablet Mode. Now, I know I can change the behavior to make Windows 10 ask me what to before switching modes, but until I switched to using a dock and external monitor, I've never needed/wanted Windows 10 to ask me! It always "did the right thing" with the Surface, correctly responding to the type cover be attached, detached, or folded back.

How can I tell Windows 10 or the Surface to NOT activate tablet mode when the type cover is closed?

Thanks,
    Jim

jimtut, Sep 28, 2020
  3. Jessen P Win User
    virtual keyboard in tablet mode surface 3

Hi,

Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Install the latest updates, Restart your Surface, Change your typing settings are some of the things that you can do to get the issue resolved.

By design, when you have tablet mode enabled and the Type Cover is folded back or detached, the touch keyboard should appear when you select a place to enter text. When you have tablet mode disabled, the touch keyboard might only appear when you select it
    on the taskbar, depending on your settings. In either mode, the touch keyboard has to be opened manually with some applications.

The touch keyboard doesn’t appear on Surface

Official Home of Microsoft Surface Computers, Laptops, 2-in-1’s, Dual-Screen & Devices

Please revert if you face any issues with the virtual keyboard.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Surface Pro 7: How force tablet mode off with keyboard folded back?

On screen keyboard not working in Windows 10 tablet mode

Hi Gary,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform the following troubleshooting steps and check if it helps. Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on the Task bar and select ShowTouch Keyboard Button.

• Open the Keyboard and close it (just to check if it’s working).

• Next click on Action center and select
      Tablet Mode.

• Once you are in Tablet mode, again Right click on the
      Task bar and select Show Touch Keyboard Button.

• Open the Key board and check if it’s working in Tablet mode. Next check if it’s available on the task bar in both desktop and tablet mode.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Aswin_Anand, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Surface Pro 7: How force tablet mode off with keyboard folded back?

1. Surface Pro 7: How force tablet mode off with keyboard folded back? - Similar Threads - Surface Pro force

2. Unable to use keyboard while folding the laptop. Wish to disable tablet mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to use keyboard while folding the laptop. Wish to disable tablet mode.: I have an HP Pavilion x360. I have connected it to my monitor and want to use it as a keyboard while folding it but it switches over to tablet mode and disables the keyboard. Please help me solve this issue I have been attempting to disable tablet mode for a while now but...
  3. Unable to use keyboard while folding the laptop. Wish to disable tablet mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to use keyboard while folding the laptop. Wish to disable tablet mode.: I have an HP Pavilion x360. I have connected it to my monitor and want to use it as a keyboard while folding it but it switches over to tablet mode and disables the keyboard. Please help me solve this issue I have been attempting to disable tablet mode for a while now but...
  4. Microsoft Surface Pro 8 Stuck in Tablet Mode / Keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Surface Pro 8 Stuck in Tablet Mode / Keyboard not working: I've found a fix that wasn't mentioned on any of the other support tickets about Microsoft Surface Pro 8 Stuck in Tablet Mode / Keyboard not working.I tried restarting with volume button and power button - no luckI tried uninstalling keyword in device manager - no luckI did a...
  5. Microsoft Surface Pro 8 Stuck in Tablet Mode / Keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Surface Pro 8 Stuck in Tablet Mode / Keyboard not working: I've found a fix that wasn't mentioned on any of the other support tickets about Microsoft Surface Pro 8 Stuck in Tablet Mode / Keyboard not working.I tried restarting with volume button and power button - no luckI tried uninstalling keyword in device manager - no luckI did a...
  6. Laptop not recognizing when screen/keyboard folded into tent/tablet mode, rotation lock...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop not recognizing when screen/keyboard folded into tent/tablet mode, rotation lock...: I have an HP Envy 360 model number 13m-bd1033dx running on Windows 11 Home, version 22H2.When I fold my laptop into "tent" mode or "tablet" mode past 180 degrees with the keyboard the keyboard and touch pad stay on and when I click on something like a search bar the on-screen...
  7. Constant BSOD MS Surface Pro 7 Tablet

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant BSOD MS Surface Pro 7 Tablet: I started getting BSOD 20th June 2020 after I did a Win 10 update. This is on my MS Surface Pro 7 tablet, it did not affect my Win10 desktop. I am in Australia and purchased the Tablet direct from Microsoft in January. I ran the Win10 update on 22nd June and this did not...
  8. surface pro 7 keyboard back light

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    surface pro 7 keyboard back light: turn on surface pro 7 keyboard back light https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-7-keyboard-back-light/616acbcf-cd5a-4b0f-a9a5-29e32b0af832
  9. Surface Pro 7 bluetooth off

Surface Pro 7 bluetooth off: Bluetooth on my new Surface Pro 7 stopped working for some reason. Says bluetooth is off. How do I turn it back on as I need a mouse for a project this morning and the mouse is not the problem...it is the SP7 bluetooth. Thanks!...
  10. When I turn Tablet mode off, my surface pro doesn't recognise my keyboard and continues to...

When I turn Tablet mode off, my surface pro doesn't recognise my keyboard and continues to...: When I turn Tablet mode off, my surface pro doesn't recognise my keyboard and continues to offer the on screen keyboard. Does anybody know why this might be the case?...