Windows 10: Surface Pro 7 - Second monitor "Inactive"

Discus and support Surface Pro 7 - Second monitor "Inactive" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I see a number of others with surface pro 7s have had this same issue and all the threads are locked with no solution. Until a couple weeks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hancockian94, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Surface Pro 7 - Second monitor "Inactive"

Hello,

I see a number of others with surface pro 7s have had this same issue and all the threads are locked with no solution.

Until a couple weeks ago, my surface pro 7 worked fine with my docking station and two monitors. Now when I go to plug into the docking station, the surface will recognize and utilize one of the monitors fine but the second one is greyed out. when I enter advanced settings it recognizes the monitor but says "this device is inactive". I don't have any options to change the settings for that monitor.

I have tried:

-Unplugging and reconnecting each monitor, they both work if they're the only one plugged in.

-I have uninstalled an reinstalled drivers for the monitors and the docking station and the intel iris display driver

-I updated the surface docking station firmware

I feel like I have done everything short of re-imaging my surface....

:)

hancockian94, Feb 17, 2021

2. Surface Pro Connecting to Monitor

Hello,

I have a Surface Pro 6. I have it connected to a monitor to be used as a second screen. The resolution on the monitor is not the best quality. I have tired adjusting it, but can't seem to get it clear. Any suggestions?

Kelsey Rechetnik, Feb 17, 2021
  3. Laptop Monitor Inactive

Hi,

I recently updated Windows on my Microsoft Surface Book 2. Now, when I plug in my second monitor, my laptop display becomes inactive. I have tried everything, and I can't get it working. If I unplug my second monitor, the display on my laptop becomes
    active again.

Barb Tinker, Feb 17, 2021
  4. Surface Pro 7 - Second monitor "Inactive"

Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

Surface Pro 7 - Second monitor "Inactive"

1. Surface Pro 7 - Second monitor "Inactive" - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Second

2. surface pro 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    surface pro 7: My Sp will not boot. it gets to throubshooting and or reset screens but freezes everytime . I can not get into it at all. How can I make me a recovery from my regualr PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-7/51472c20-b453-4ef4-a968-7d1f5113a1b5
  3. surface pro 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    surface pro 7: My Sp will not boot. it gets to throubshooting and or reset screens but freezes everytime . I can not get into it at all. How can I make me a recovery from my regualr PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-7/51472c20-b453-4ef4-a968-7d1f5113a1b5
  4. surface pro 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Surface pro 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 7: Today my surface presented this see picture on the screen after having used it for at least 3 hours in a row. I don't know what caused it but maybe it was because it got hot. I am very disappointed in how easily it was damaged. has it happened to someone? has anyone solved...
  6. Surface pro 7

Surface pro 7: Today my surface presented this see picture on the screen after having used it for at least 3 hours in a row. I don't know what caused it but maybe it was because it got hot. I am very disappointed in how easily it was damaged. has it happened to someone? has anyone solved...
  7. Second monitor upside down - Surface Pro 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor upside down - Surface Pro 7: Hitachi external monitor displays upside down when "Duplicate these displays" is selected under Display settings. With other options Extend these displays, or Show only on 1, or Show only on 2 the external monitor shows the correct orientation. PC is Surface Pro 7 with...
  8. Second monitor upside down - Surface Pro 7

Second monitor upside down - Surface Pro 7: Hitachi external monitor displays upside down when "Duplicate these displays" is selected under Display settings. With other options Extend these displays, or Show only on 1, or Show only on 2 the external monitor shows the correct orientation. PC is Surface Pro 7 with...
  9. Surface Pro 7

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 7: I have a problem with my surface it connot connect to the speaker and Mikrofon. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-7/7a504d5c-8dfb-4cae-8b0a-987e5dabb8fc
  10. Second Monitor is "Inactive"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second Monitor is "Inactive": So I recently scored a 2nd 4k monitor. And it is connected via displayport. Randomly, the screen will turn off. It shows up in nvidia control panel and the checkbox to enable it will turn grey and uncheckable. In windows settings will say it is "inactive". I have tried...