Windows 10: Surface Pro 7 Start Menu, Task Bar and on-screen touch keyboard not working

Discus and support Surface Pro 7 Start Menu, Task Bar and on-screen touch keyboard not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In 20+ years of owning laptops, this is the first time I've had to submit a support request like this. I bought a Surface Pro 7 about a month ago and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Km#2, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Km#2 Win User

Surface Pro 7 Start Menu, Task Bar and on-screen touch keyboard not working

In 20+ years of owning laptops, this is the first time I've had to submit a support request like this. I bought a Surface Pro 7 about a month ago and there have been constant issues with it, about every other day. It's super buggy! I have check out forums but a lot of the answers seem very complicated - I'm not the knowledgeable when it comes to tech, but surely I'm not alone. I have tried some fixes, but they haven't worked. I really like the concept of the Surface, but that reality has been disappointing. I bought it to do my work, not have a forced education in fixing bugs. Please help and I'm hoping to hear from someone soon...

:)

2. Xylee Del Win User

Touch screen on surface pro

Hello Brady,

The Surface Pro may have encountered a driver conflict or a hardware issue. For us to isolate the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What is the current build and version of your Windows 10? To check type in
      winver on the search bar and press Enter.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you follow the troubleshooting steps given on these articles to see if there will be any changes:

Please get back to us.

Xylee Del, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Touch Screen problem with Surface Pro 3

See if it works in UEFI mode this could determine if it s hardware or windows issue

1. Select the Start button, and then select Power > Shut down.
    2. When Surface is off, press and hold the volume up button and press the power button until a Microsoft or Surface logo appears onscreen.
    3. Once you are in UEFI, touch your Surface screen and see if it responds normally. Try to navigate in UEFI by tapping various menu items. Then, depending on how your Surface responds to touch, follow one of these steps:
    • If touch does not work on your Surface, your touchscreen most likely experienced a hardware failure. Go to

Device service and repair
      to initiate a service order for your Surface. If you want to work with a Surface Support Advocate,

contact us

DiamondFounders, Jan 16, 2020
  4. jimosity Win User

Surface Pro 3 - Can't TOUCH 'x' to close apps or double tap to expand

Latest version of Win10 with latest updates.
    Using the keyboard, or a USB mouse...or the Surface Pen, everything works great...but I can't use my finger to touch any app in the top menu bar. I can touch any menu item and anywhere in the app and it works fine...but I can't actually click on the X to close, maximize / minimize, etc. I also can't double tap the top bar to expand the app.
    Again, I can do everything with the keyboard / pen / mouse...and touch works fine with everything EXCEPT any item in the top bar. What's up with that?!
    I've done a screen calibration successfully and there are no issues with anything there...it's gotta be something in the OS somehow.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    PS: This is on a Surface Pro 3.
    I have a Surface 3 as well but it does not do this.

jimosity, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Surface Pro 7 Start Menu, Task Bar and on-screen touch keyboard not working - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Start

2. Start menu not working and task bar empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not working and task bar empty: i updated my drivers and windows then my start menu and task bar stopped working. iv tried almost everything that's on the internet, but it doesn't look like the start menu is not even running in task manager....
  3. Surface pro 7 win 10 touch keyboard crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface pro 7 win 10 touch keyboard crash: Hi all, thank you for having me here.I have windows 10 on my surface pro 7, updated, all working good except for the touch keyboard.It crashes and disappears in tablet mode and desktop mode.I've activated and deactivated it, also the service, stopped, disabled, enabled and...
  4. Surface pro 7 win 10 touch keyboard crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 7 win 10 touch keyboard crash: Hi all, thank you for having me here.I have windows 10 on my surface pro 7, updated, all working good except for the touch keyboard.It crashes and disappears in tablet mode and desktop mode.I've activated and deactivated it, also the service, stopped, disabled, enabled and...
  5. Surface pro 7 win 10 touch keyboard crash

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Task bar and start menu not working on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task bar and start menu not working on startup: There is this annoying issue where anytime I power on my PC it takes a couple seconds longer than usual to boot up and the taskbar and start menu just wont work. There is a blue icon spinning and when clicking the taskbar my screen flashes and nothing happens. I have to shut...
  7. TASK BAR AND START MENU BUTTON NOT WORKING

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    TASK BAR AND START MENU BUTTON NOT WORKING: Don't know what I did, but a few weeks ago: 1 task bar buttons nonresponsive 2 windows start icon nonresponsive 3 start to work and some programs have been closed, i.e. Quickbooks...
  8. Surface pro 6 touch keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface pro 6 touch keyboard: Hello, I have an issue where the touch keyboard sound does not work. When I type using the touch keyboard, no sound came out. I have turned on the "Play key sounds as I type" on settings and it did not resolve my problems. I have updated my surface to the latest update...
  9. Windows start menu not working and no task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows start menu not working and no task bar: i turn on my laptop Windows 10 it does not ask me to sign in the desktop comes up with nothing on the task bar except for speaker Internet etc no browser option if I click on anything it does not work also the Windows sta button or cortana does not work if I click on it. I...
  10. Start menu button and task bar not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu button and task bar not working: Start menu won't function and all pinned apps have disappeared from task bar. On my task manager it shows 99 Windows processes operating but no IE or Windows icon on task manager. I was shopping on Amazon after an update yesterday when I believe I encountered malware. Help...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. task bar on surface pro 7