Windows 10: Surface Pro Frequent Crashes

Discus and support Surface Pro Frequent Crashes in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I have a Surface Pro 4. It's relatively new, less than a year old, and I'm running into a frequent (and annoying) problem. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by doodles1998, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Surface Pro Frequent Crashes

Hello everyone!

I have a Surface Pro 4. It's relatively new, less than a year old, and I'm running into a frequent (and annoying) problem. I have battery saver mode set at 50%, but almost as soon as it goes into battery saver mode (or less, give or take, so maybe at 45% charge), the computer crashes. It doesn't happen if it's charging. I have to hold down the power button for it pull up my sign-in screen again, and all the apps have crashed as well, prompting me to restart everything. A few times, it's even gone into 'your PC has run into a problem Surface Pro Frequent Crashes :(' mode. I did a malware scan, checked for updates, even tried to open up storage space and fiddle with the battery saver settings... Nothing. Is this a problem others have, or am I doing something wrong? Should I turn off battery saver mode completely?

Thank you!

:)

doodles1998, Apr 7, 2019

2. Surface Pro 4 - Crashes / Freezes

Hi Edward,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will guide you in the right direction.

The main causes observed so far are driver issues, so I suggest you to install and update all the drivers and see if it helps.

Download drivers and firmware for Surface

I would also suggest you to install all Windows update and check.

Follow the steps:

1. On the search bar type “Settings”.

2. Click on “Update and Security”.

3. Click on “Check for Updates”.

4. Read and accept the license terms, and then tap or click Finish if the update requires it.

Reference:

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...ce-pro-4?category=performance-and-maintenance

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Suvarna Govinda, Apr 7, 2019
  3. Surface Pro 2017, Win10Pro x64: Explorer crash Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll

^ Issue with Surface devices is that only Microsoft Signed drivers are allowed to be installed with the hardware. My system is also the Surface Pro, but the explorer crash never happened to me. I suggest to perform a system restore to the point before the issue.

theveterans, Apr 7, 2019
  4. Roohi_Taj Win User

Surface Pro Frequent Crashes

Surface Pro 3

Hi ChrisWaters3,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Does the battery drain out, if the tablet is not connected to peripherals?

2. Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)

I understand how something like this can try your patience. This issue is an indication of faulty drivers or incompatible driver.
    However, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Check the drivers.

Step1: Battery driver

1. Press Windows andR
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    3. Click on view on top > Select Show hidden devices.
    4. Expand the Batteries option from the list.
    5. Select the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery> right click on the driver and click on
      Properties.
    6. Click on Driver tab > check if you have the option to
      Roll Back Driver.
    7. If yes, Roll back the driver or uninstall it and restart the computer.
    Uninstalling the driver will be automatically installed after the system is restarted. Check if the issue is fixed.

Step 2: Keyboard driver.

1. In the Device manager, go to ‘Other devices’, you will find
      Unknown devices.
    2. Double tap on the unknown device > click on
      Driver tab> click on update driver.
    3. Select browse my computer for driver software> Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers
    4. Select keyboard, then click ‘Next.
    5. Select HID Keyboard device and click finish.

Method 2: Run the toolkit.

Note: If your Surface is managed by your work or school, check with your organization's IT department before running the tool.

I would suggest you to run the toolkit provided by Microsoft on
    Fix common Surface
    problems using the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

If the above steps, doesn’t fix the issue. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Surface Pro 3 Battery
    FAQ for the Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Apr 7, 2019
Thema:

Surface Pro Frequent Crashes

1. Surface Pro Frequent Crashes - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Frequent

2. Frequent BSOD's on Surface Pro 5.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent BSOD's on Surface Pro 5.: So I've been plagued by BSOD's for a long time now with this device. I've attempted a lot of troubleshooting based on random threads around the internet, but I felt like I should probably make my own post at this point so I can get some proper help with my situation. As I...
  3. Frequent BSOD's on Surface Pro 5.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frequent BSOD's on Surface Pro 5.: So I've been plagued by BSOD's for a long time now with this device. I've attempted a lot of troubleshooting based on random threads around the internet, but I felt like I should probably make my own post at this point so I can get some proper help with my situation. As I...
  4. Frequent BSOD's on Surface Pro 5.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Surface Pro 4 Screen Crashing

Surface Pro 4 Screen Crashing: Hi, I purchased a Surface Pro 4 a few years ago, I can't remember exactly when, but I do know that it's out of warranty now. When I'm on it for a while not a long time, maybe an hour minimum, the monitor acts weird. The lights behind the screen start to flash weirdly, &...
  6. Surface Pro 7 frequently crashes to BSOD

Surface Pro 7 frequently crashes to BSOD: Hi there. Hope someone here may be able to help me out with this issue. I recently bought a Surface Pro 7, and it is bluescreening several times per day, seemingly with a new error message each time. I am also experiencing random restarts without a visible bluescreen. These...
  7. Frequent Crashes

Frequent Crashes: Hello, so my computer has been crashing constantly for the past 2 weeks and I have looked online for answers but could not find any. Here is my dmp file- https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocWXEIIIEsMrxosR4kzyXe9_z9b?e=kOTYZa...
  8. Surface Pro 6 Crash

Surface Pro 6 Crash: Hi there, My Surface Pro 6 crashed and needed to restart. I was playing Two Point Hospital at the time and was hoping a hardware issue could be ruled out? This blue screen also happened when I was changing screen resolutions when playing The Sims 4 a few months ago. I'm...
  9. Surface pro 2 crashing BSOD

Surface pro 2 crashing BSOD: Hi, dont know if this was opened somewhere else already or not. We bought 4 machines, all of them crash with BSOD only if they are unplugged - not being charged. As soon as you run any of the office apps and create a new spreadsheet/workbook error msg is:...
  10. Frequent crashes

Frequent crashes: My T420s crashes at least once a week. Has been doing so for a long time. I'm sending the analysis files along with this post. Thanks in advance. 45122

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface pro crashing frequently