Windows 10: Surface pro locked with screen 'preparing bitlocker recovery'

Discus and support Surface pro locked with screen 'preparing bitlocker recovery' in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Last week, my surface stopped syncing my one-note and told me that I was out of space, I deleted all folders on my surface and then it gave... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by UO_088, Jul 18, 2020.

1. UO_088 Win User

Surface pro locked with screen 'preparing bitlocker recovery'

Hello,

Last week, my surface stopped syncing my one-note and told me that I was out of space, I deleted all folders on my surface and then it gave me the blue screen and said 'error. surface pro needed to restart'. After it restarted, I could not log back in. It kept giving me a screen that said 'Preparing BitLocker recovery' and it would most times freeze on that screen. I got my recovery key and was able to create a recovery drive I hope to use to restore the surface. After trying different suggestions off the Microsoft site, I was able to get it to the troubleshooting page. I tried the info suggested to use from the Microsoft site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ating-and-using-a-usb-recovery-drive#Download on the command prompt page, but it gave me a message that said 'the operation could not be performed because the volume is locked'. It won't let me uninstall any of the latest updates either or clear my data off the surface and reset. Can anyone please help me? Also, if I get this fixed, how can I stop it from happening again?

:)

UO_088, Jul 18, 2020

2. Surface 3 stuck on preparing bitlocker recovery

My Surface 3 is stuck on preparing bitlocker recovery. I have tried to boot from a usb, but it does not let me.

AlexisHolguin, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Surface 3 stuck on preparing bitlocker recovery

wanlayasongsana, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Jim5506 Win User

Surface 3 stuck on preparing bitlocker recovery

I was able to boot from a flash drive prepared by formatting it FAT32 then copying downloaded recovery files to the drive.

Placed the flash drive in usb slot.

Hold volume down and press power, do not release volume down until you see the bouncing balls on the screen, else it sends you back to "Preparing Bitlocker Recovery".

After that I tried restoration but since the Surface set up from Microsoft turns on bitlocker without permission, I don't have the key, thus probably have a $2500 door stop.

Jim5506, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Surface pro locked with screen 'preparing bitlocker recovery' - Similar Threads - Surface pro locked

2. Surface Pro locked in Recovery Mode and I have no Bitlocker recovery key. Now what?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro locked in Recovery Mode and I have no Bitlocker recovery key. Now what?: My Surface Pro 8 or 9 I think is locked and in recovery mode and is requiring a Bitlocker key to unlock. I do not have a key and I do not have a personal Microsoft account only a work-related one. I have never signed into my work related Microsoft account on this Surface so...
  3. Surface Pro locked in Recovery Mode and I have no Bitlocker recovery key. Now what?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro locked in Recovery Mode and I have no Bitlocker recovery key. Now what?: My Surface Pro 8 or 9 I think is locked and in recovery mode and is requiring a Bitlocker key to unlock. I do not have a key and I do not have a personal Microsoft account only a work-related one. I have never signed into my work related Microsoft account on this Surface so...
  4. Windows 10 - Preparing BitLocker recovery in black screen, how to use my recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - Preparing BitLocker recovery in black screen, how to use my recovery key: After few times of typing password incorrect my Windows 10 was put in BitLocker Recovery. When I turn on my HP Envy x360, 1 it shows "Preparing BitLocker recovery" and 2 it is asking Choose your keyboard layout. 3 after choosing language, 5 it shows Choose an option. 6 When I...
  5. Windows 10 - Preparing BitLocker recovery in black screen, how to use my recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - Preparing BitLocker recovery in black screen, how to use my recovery key: After few times of typing password incorrect my Windows 10 was put in BitLocker Recovery. When I turn on my HP Envy x360, 1 it shows "Preparing BitLocker recovery" and 2 it is asking Choose your keyboard layout. 3 after choosing language, 5 it shows Choose an option. 6 When I...
  6. Surface Pro BitLocker Issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Surface Pro BitLocker Issue: My previous Surface Pro 4 was rendered not usable due to an expansion of the battery. The hard drive was recovered without any damage BUT BitLocker protection was applied to it. Since I do not have that unit any more where can I locate the BitLocker code in my account for the...
  7. Surface Pro - Bitlocker recovery code issue

Surface Pro - Bitlocker recovery code issue: My Surface Laptop that I use for work suddenly locked and is asking for the bitlocker recovery key. I've never even heard of this, but followed the directions went into my Microsoft account to find it. It says: "You don't have any BitLocker recovery keys uploaded to your...
  8. surface pro bitlocker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    surface pro bitlocker: I turned on my computer and got the "critical error cannot open start menu." I restarted multiple times and resorted to going into windows troubleshooting, I tried to change start-up settings but I needed to put in a bitlocker code, this is a preowned system I bought so it is...
  9. Bitlocker Locked on Surface 3

Bitlocker Locked on Surface 3: Wondering how to get rid of Bitlocker on my tablet. I went to boot it up after charging and got the Bitlocker Recovery screen. I have never set up Bitlocker and honestly had never even heard of it until this happened. My Surface is for only my use and I’m the only one who has...
  10. Preparing BitLocker recovery message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Preparing BitLocker recovery message: Recently I began receiving frequent "Preparing BitLocker recovery" messages when I start my Surface Book (Windows 10 Pro v1809 OS build 17763.316). Once I enter the recovery key the computer restarts with no other problems. My question is why I am receiving this message so...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc freezes on bitlocker recovery

2. when windows boot its showing preparing bit locker recovery