Windows 10: Surface Pro problems. Type cover, SD card, usb ports suddenly not working and not switching...

Discus and support Surface Pro problems. Type cover, SD card, usb ports suddenly not working and not switching... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The surface pro wouldn't switch on although it was plugged in. I think the typecover illuminated. I unplugged and left it for several hours and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nicolalalala, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Surface Pro problems. Type cover, SD card, usb ports suddenly not working and not switching...

The surface pro wouldn't switch on although it was plugged in. I think the typecover illuminated. I unplugged and left it for several hours and then plugged in and it switched on. However the typecover no longer worked. I've also discovered that micro SD is no longer visible and I've just tried a USB drive which does not show up. Still won't always switch on.

There is power to the typecover as the function key lights up. I followed a troubleshooter for the typecover but when it got to "reset Surface" I stopped. I updated to the latest windows version Windows 10 pro version 2004.

I've cleaned contacts and I've used long press of power and volume + to access bios and both typecover and SD card were on and typecover works whilst in bios. Switched them off and restarted and then went back into bios and switched them back on and restarted. They still don't work.

I have surfacepro 1796 5th gen. Intel m3-7y30 with 4gb ram if that matters!

I am not tech savvy so please use simple steps for me to follow in any advice. Much appreciated.

Thank you.

:)

Nicolalalala, Aug 26, 2020
  2. Roger Win User

MS Surface Keyboard Cover not recognized by MS Surface Pro 3

My Surface Pro 3 cover mysteriously stopped working (other USB keyboards work).

I’ve exhausted all of the steps from the Internet and am hoping for some advice here on what to try next.

A breakdown of the steps I've done to sometimes get it working

• Leave Surface Pro 3 on about 2 hours on battery only.
    • Power on Surface Pro 3.
    • Working Keyboard.
    • Turn off Surface Pro 3 (or reboot)
    • Keyboard not working anymore
    • Another similar user here - Surface 3 type cover issue

Can anyone recommend any other troubleshooting steps? One of these steps seemed to work ok for others having this same problem.

Roger, Aug 26, 2020
  3. Surface Pro 4 Type Cover not working after Anniversary Update

Holy hell this worked for me! Can't say how may different "fixes" I tried for this and was just short of sending my Surface Pro 4 off for repair but this worked. No Surface Type Covers (With or without fingerprint scanner) worked but now all Touch Covers are working again.

I wasn't quite ready to give up the Pro 4, so now I get to keep it a little while longer.

Thank you!

almighty1977, Aug 26, 2020
  4. ellflo Win User

Surface Pro problems. Type cover, SD card, usb ports suddenly not working and not switching...

Surface Pro 4 Type Cover not working after Anniversary Update

Register an account for this one. Just to let you know it worked for me!

ellflo, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

Surface Pro problems. Type cover, SD card, usb ports suddenly not working and not switching...

1. Surface Pro problems. Type cover, SD card, usb ports suddenly not working and not switching... - Similar Threads - Surface Pro problems

2. Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover: Is the Surface Pro 8 with Windows 11 compatible with the Type Cover I have for my Surface Pro 4? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-8-type-cover/bf683ef6-108f-40bb-b7f6-cdb5901a8500
  3. Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover: Is the Surface Pro 8 with Windows 11 compatible with the Type Cover I have for my Surface Pro 4? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-8-type-cover/bf683ef6-108f-40bb-b7f6-cdb5901a8500
  4. SD card and USB ports stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD card and USB ports stopped working: I know. This has been a common problem in the past, but it just started today for me. I've set the computer to a restore point on a date when the SD card slot automatically opened a download window into Photoshop Bridge. I've read a few of the MS problem reports on this...
  5. Surface pro 4 USB Port, Type Cover stopped working after Win - Update

Surface pro 4 USB Port, Type Cover stopped working after Win - Update: A friend of mine sold me a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 i7 16G RAM 512GB SSD cheap because it stopped partly working after he was updating to the lastest firmware. The USB Port and Type Cover is working normally when booting into the UEFI, it stops working after booting into...
  6. USB port and SD port not working

USB port and SD port not working: I have a dell inspiron 15 5578 2-in-1 that's not working properly on any drive ports. I looked on the device manager and the devices are being shown when connected. But the drivers aren't correct and I cant seem to find them on Dell's support site. any ideas that could help?...
  7. Surface Pro 4 Type Cover stopped working.

Surface Pro 4 Type Cover stopped working.: Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 10/8/2019 12:47:52 PM Event ID: 442 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-UO0VK4E...
  8. Surface Pro 4: Type cover port and USB 3.0 not working

Surface Pro 4: Type cover port and USB 3.0 not working: Hello, all. This problem is driving me nuts. Have an upcoming assignment to do and with the keyboard not working, this premium device is worthless. The type cover keyboard works perfectly in the UEFI along with the trackpad, so the issue is 100% software related. It has...
  9. Surface Pro 3 Type Cover issue

Surface Pro 3 Type Cover issue: I wiped the hard drive the typecover keyboard only lights up when I have almost no Ipower in the battery,as soon as I try to recharge the battery it goes black. I cannot remember the password,I have even tried the password for other things.I am beginning to think I am...
  10. Surface Pro 4 Type Cover

Surface Pro 4 Type Cover: Recently, I have been trying to use my Surface Pro 4 with the keyboard cover, but the keyboard cover has been unresponsive. I have tried everything on your troubleshoot page for the keyboard cover from the two-button shut down to cleaning it to updating and resetting my...