Windows 10: Surface Pro2: Stuck with locked disk after win8.1->10 upgrade

Discus and support Surface Pro2: Stuck with locked disk after win8.1->10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Current situation: MS SP2 that does not boot, and the ssd is not formattable because it seems locked (same lock as when you hibernate the pc) I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dijkdj, Sep 19, 2015.

1. dijkdj Win User

Surface Pro2: Stuck with locked disk after win8.1->10 upgrade

Current situation: MS SP2 that does not boot, and the ssd is not formattable because it seems locked (same lock as when you hibernate the pc)

I tried to upgrade from W8.1 to W10 with the upgrade tool in Win8 on a MS Surface Pro 2.

The computer hangs on 56% so I reboot. It tells me "the installation is failed, so go back to win 8". I accepted.

From there it showing infinitly "Restoring previous windows version".(It shown in dutch, so maybe it a bit different in English.

It is in this state for a month now and I tried everything listed below. Maybe you can help me

I tried creating a Win 10 disk, and do a fresh install from there. Result: Cant get the drive to boot

Tried creating a Win 8 disk. It boots, but it won't let me format my C-drive. It seems to be locked because it failed the recovery to the old Win8 install. I can remove all the partitions, but it gives an error when I try to install on a newly created partition. After a reboot, all partitions are back.

I tried booting to command prompt with windows 8 usb disk and remove the partitions with diskpart. It failes the format command. "attri disk" does not show read only

I tried an ubuntu live disk. It does not show my NTFS partitions

So the problem is:
    • I can not access my data, but I accepted it is lost (and I copied some things via command prompt)
    • I cannot get into windows
    • It wont let me install windows
    • I cannot format my harddrive
    • I can not remove the harddrive because I cant open the tablet without breaking it.

Its now a very expensive brick. I hope you have some tricks to help me.

One of the things I thought is to make a USB with win10 running on it, but most of my flash drives are to slow and booting from a Sandisk extreme 32gb seems impossible.

:)

dijkdj, Sep 19, 2015
  2. Sitti-NK Win User

File Explorer Libraries resetting on Wondows 10

Hi Deepika,

Thanks you for the advice, I have performed the following:

Restored Default Libraries and then set up Document Library as I require:

C:\users\myname\OneDrive\Documents --- Default and Public Save

\\Server\MyDocs

\\Server\SharedDocs

I find that after every reboot the Documents Library is reset to the following:

\\Server\MyDocs

\\Server\SharedDocs

C:\users\myname\OneDrive\Documents

C:\users\myname\Documents --- Default and Public Save

I have run a SFC /scannow and if found and fixed corrupt files on the Surface Pro2.

Retested the Documents Library and again the same issue appeared after reboot.

The \\Server above is actually Windows 10 running on desktop hardware (Ethernet connected). If I configure the Documents Library on the Desktop Windows 10 Machine as follows:

C:\users\myname\OneDrive\Documents --- Default and Public Save

E:\myname\MyDocs >> Shared folder used on Surface Pro2

E:\myname\SharedDocs >> Shared folder used on Surface Pro2

I find that after every reboot the Document Library changes to:

E:\myname\MyDocs >> Shared folder used on Surface Pro2

E:\myname\SharedDocs >> Shared folder used on Surface Pro2

C:\users\myname\OneDrive\Documents

C:\users\myname\Documents --- Default and Public Save

If I create the Documents Library and do not include the Folder C:\users\myname\Documents as the Default and Public Save then after a reboot it is added and made the Default & Public Save locations.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Nigel

Sitti-NK, Sep 19, 2015
  3. ChrisS55 Win User
    Wifi with windows 10

Settings does not show a WiFi option any longer anywhere on my Surface Pro2 after upgrading to 10. the only solution that worked for me is to revert back to 8.1. Sad: two other computers (dell and sony) work fine with the upgrade; only the microsoft product
    is incompatible with the upgrade.

ChrisS55, Sep 19, 2015
  4. Surface Pro2: Stuck with locked disk after win8.1->10 upgrade

sciencegeek, Sep 20, 2015
  5. dijkdj Win User
    Yes. I disabled secure boot. It boots the windows 8 boot disk, but anything I want to change to the partitions is blocked somehow.

Same goes for access via Linux, drive is blocked.

I just want to format the drive and install windows, because my surface is dead now. Hope you can help me.

dijkdj, Sep 24, 2015
  6. sciencegeek, Sep 25, 2015
  7. dijkdj Win User
    I tried these options.

I got the response from: "sfc /scannow".

"There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again".

Any ideas?

dijkdj, Sep 27, 2015
  8. Surface Pro2: Stuck with locked disk after win8.1->10 upgrade

Have as look at this guide:

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-c...-8.html#arloop

It's the most comprehensive one for trying to get out of an automatic repair loop. Try the bcdedit one for preventing the repair loop. If that doesn't work, try the other ones for a gpt/uefi device.

sciencegeek, Sep 27, 2015
  9. dijkdj Win User
    Thanks,

now tried sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir c:\windows (hope that d:\ contains system files)

Now its showing for 20 minutes "Beginning system scan. This process will take some time".

How long should this take? I dont see any counters.

dijkdj, Sep 27, 2015
  10. dijkdj Win User
    Can it be that some of these tips dont apply if you boot from a recoveryusb?

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy does not do anything on reboot (pushing F8)

dijkdj, Sep 27, 2015
  11. Can't imagine it would make a difference whether you booted from a recovery USB flash drive or from a recovery DVD running on a bootable external DVD drive.

sciencegeek, Sep 28, 2015
  12. sciencegeek, Sep 28, 2015
  13. dijkdj Win User

dijkdj, Sep 28, 2015
  14. dijkdj Win User
    Isnt there some way to go past everything that locks the system and just format the C drive? Maybe with a Linux live distro? Or some other recovery disk?

I had no succes until now running a Windows-To-Go created with Rufus. It runs on my older bios pc, but has an NTFS error on the surface.

dijkdj, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Surface Pro2: Stuck with locked disk after win8.1->10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Surface Pro2 Stuck

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. Upgrading from Surface Dock 1 to Surface Doc2 with a new Surface Pro 9

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Surface Dock 1 to Surface Doc2 with a new Surface Pro 9: I purchased a Surface Pro 9 to replace my surface laptop2. I have two 34" LG monitors connected through the display ports to Surface Dock 1 work fine. I purchased a Surface Dock 2 and connected it with USB-c to HDMI input on both monitors. Both monitors flash on and off. Why?...
  5. Upgrading from Surface Dock 1 to Surface Doc2 with a new Surface Pro 9

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading from Surface Dock 1 to Surface Doc2 with a new Surface Pro 9: I purchased a Surface Pro 9 to replace my surface laptop2. I have two 34" LG monitors connected through the display ports to Surface Dock 1 work fine. I purchased a Surface Dock 2 and connected it with USB-c to HDMI input on both monitors. Both monitors flash on and off. Why?...
  6. WIndows 10 upgrade stuck at 1 percent

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIndows 10 upgrade stuck at 1 percent: I was trying to upgrade my wife's Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10. I used the media creation tool, and turned off my Anti-virus and ran the tool to upgrade, as an Admin. However it has been stuck at 1% for several hours - please suggest what I need to do to move...
  7. buzzing or reverberation noise coming from speakers on Surface Pro2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    buzzing or reverberation noise coming from speakers on Surface Pro2: Recently I have a terrible reverberation coming from my speakers. It sounds very much like when a throat cancer patient has to use a vibrator to speak. I've checked the driver and it says I'm using the most current version. I've also unchecked the audio enhancements...
  8. Recent upgrade on my surface pro2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recent upgrade on my surface pro2: after the upgrade of windows 10 in the last week (early July) my Adobe Photo shop program won't load my projects. I get a 'insufficient ram' notification. I have check there is nothing else running and prior to the update I had no issues....
  9. Devices no longer appear on "This PC" after upgrading Win8 to Win10

Devices no longer appear on "This PC" after upgrading Win8 to Win10: My external hard disks , and one MP3 player (all USB devices) are no longer recognized, nor appear on "This PC", after I upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 OS. Other devices, such as my Android phone USB connection still works well. I made sure that the "Automatic download...
  10. 1TB hard disk disappears after Win10 update from Win8

1TB hard disk disappears after Win10 update from Win8: I have a new Aspire V Nitro Series laptop that was running Windows 8. These are the original hard disk specs: C: 256GB SSD D: 1TB SATA After I upgraded to Win10, I am left with only this: C: 128GB 12034