Windows 10: Surface to reconnect to USB-C external monitor after turning it off because of idle time

Discus and support Surface to reconnect to USB-C external monitor after turning it off because of idle time in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,Surface Pro 9Windows 11 ProExternal Monitor connected directly via USB-C cable Acer and keyboard + mouse monitor USB hubWhen I connect the external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by redhonker, Nov 28, 2023.

1. redhonker Win User

Surface to reconnect to USB-C external monitor after turning it off because of idle time

Hi,Surface Pro 9Windows 11 ProExternal Monitor connected directly via USB-C cable Acer and keyboard + mouse monitor USB hubWhen I connect the external monitor, I will close the cover and the set the display to show only on second screen.When the display times out, the screen will go dark and monitor LED will be dimmed. At this point, unless I turn off and then on the monitor, the Surface won't reconnect to the monitor. Even open the cover won't do that.Is there any power management setting would make it reconnect?Thanks

:)

redhonker, Nov 28, 2023

2. On Windows 11, my external monitor(s) won't wake up after they have been turned off

Hello Moritz Schwarz,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are experiencing issues with your external monitors connected to your Surface Laptop 5 not waking up after they have been turned off. I am here to help and let us work on this together. Allow me to ask some questions so we can further isolate your issue and formulate appropriate troubleshooting steps.

• Could you please tell me the make and model of the external monitors you used?
    • Would you mind verifying if you're connecting both monitors with a Surface Dock?
    • Did this work before?
    • When did this issue started?
    For the meantime, kindly try the following steps to troubleshoot this problem and see if problem persist.

1. Make sure that your device is up to date. You may also check optional updates available.
    2. Update your graphics driver. You can do this by going to the Device Manager, finding your graphics card, right-clicking on it, and selecting "Update driver."
    3. Try connecting the monitors to a different device to see if the issue persists.
    4. Try using a different USB-C cable to connect the monitors. Make sure that the USB-C cable supports USB 4.0/Thunderbolt™ 4.
    5. Try turning on the monitor that you're having issues with by pressing the Windows logo + P for monitor switch options, then set it to "this screen only" then Extended.
    You may also try the suggestions provided from this article, Troubleshoot connecting Surface to an external display - Microsoft Support.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Lavenia

Lavenia A., Nov 28, 2023
  3. GerardIE Win User
    Microsoft Surface Pro 7 usb-c external monitor problems

The MS Surface Pro 7 has a very picky usb-c port, is anybody looking at improving this port.

The computers below work with any of our external monitors, HDMI adapters or cables.

MS Surface Pro 1 mini display port
    MS Surface Pro 3 mini display port
    HP Spectre Bang Olufsen usb-c port

MS Surface Pro 7 usb-c port - ONLY works with a Moshi 4K/60 HDMI adapter.

I bought the MS Surface Pro 7 in late March 2020.

Only after installing update KB4551762 on March 27th did the external monitor work properly (with the Moshi adapter). I have version 1909 installed.

The MS Surface Pro 7 is now updated to KB4550945

These adapters still DO NOT WORK for the MS Surface Pro 7:

Microsoft usbc to HMDI adapter
    Belkin (4K/60hz) usbc to HMDI adapter
    Satechi (4K slim multi port) usbc to HMDI adapter

The monitor says Input Signal Not Found.

The external monitor is a new HP Pavillion 27inch Quantum Dot.

The cable spec is 0.5m ESL high speed gaming.

Only for this Moshi 4K/60 HDMI adapter, I would have needed to return the MS Surface Pro 7.

GerardIE, Nov 28, 2023
  4. rchumbert Win User

Surface to reconnect to USB-C external monitor after turning it off because of idle time

Surface Laptop 4 doesn't connect to external displays through USB-C

Hi, I bought a refurbished Surface Laptop 4 with windows 11 2 1/2 weeks ago and I haven't been able to use the USB-C port for any external displays/monitors. I first discovered the problem when trying to connect my Huion Kamvas 16 display tablet, which connects through a USB-C-> USB-C cable that’s compatible with DisplayPort alternate mode. When the tablet is plugged in, my computer registers it as a display but starts freezing intermittently and the screen blinks on and off. I’ve also tried plugging my laptop into different external monitors with an HDMI->USB-C adaptor. With the HDMI-> USB-C, it registers as a USB-C Video Adaptor in my device manager and under “other devices”, but not as a monitor. I can still charge my phone and interface with it through the USB-C port. I don’t have any other devices I can check with it.

Here's the troubleshooting I've done so far:

• Turned my laptop off and on again
    • Connected both the tablet and other monitors to other devices- both worked perfectly fine as expected, so the issue isn't with the cords or external devices
    • Kept my display tablet powered through its external charging device. My laptop still freezes intermittently and blinks on and off
    • Uninstalling and re-installing the USB drivers through device manager
    • Uninstalling and re-installing the drivers and firmware for my tablet- I double checked the drivers with the serial number to make sure it was the correct ones.
    • plugging in the tablet without drivers, which should normally just register it as an external monitor. My laptop still freezes intermittently and blinks on and off.
    • Checked the system requirements and specs for the tablet and my laptop's USB-C port- I didn't find anything that would indicate it's incompatible with the tablet or the HDMI->USB-C adaptor
    • All options that could be done on the external monitors and usb-c microsoft troubleshooting pages
    • Note: I restarted my laptop after each uninstallation and re-installation process.
    Why am I asking for help here instead of with my tablet's manufacturer? Because I'm convinced it's an issue with my USB-C port and not an issue with my tablet. The tablet works fine with other devices (unfortunately I don’t anyone else with a SL4), and my computer just doesn’t connect to any other displays, period. It’s only my USB-C port that’s causing issues.

Short of factory resetting my computer, I can’t think of anything else to try. Is the Surface Laptop 4 just unable to connect to external displays through the USB-C port? I rely on my drawing tablet for supplemental income so if it’s not compatible, I need to know so I can get a new laptop.

Edit: Clarified one of the bullet points further

***Moved from Windows / Windows 11 / Devices and drivers***

rchumbert, Nov 28, 2023
Thema:

1. Surface to reconnect to USB-C external monitor after turning it off because of idle time - Similar Threads - Surface reconnect USB

2. Monitor doesn't turn off after inactivity because of cvtres.exe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Monitor doesn't turn off after inactivity because of cvtres.exe: Hi. I put the setting for my monitor to turn off after 10 mins of inactivity, but it never turns off. When i run powercfg /requests in cmd, i get this:C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requestsDISPLAY:[PROCESS]...
  3. Monitor doesn't turn off after inactivity because of cvtres.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor doesn't turn off after inactivity because of cvtres.exe: Hi. I put the setting for my monitor to turn off after 10 mins of inactivity, but it never turns off. When i run powercfg /requests in cmd, i get this:C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requestsDISPLAY:[PROCESS]...
  4. Monitor doesn't turn off after inactivity because of cvtres.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Surface to reconnect to USB-C external monitor after turning it off because of idle time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface to reconnect to USB-C external monitor after turning it off because of idle time: Hi,Surface Pro 9Windows 11 ProExternal Monitor connected directly via USB-C cable Acer and keyboard + mouse monitor USB hubWhen I connect the external monitor, I will close the cover and the set the display to show only on second screen.When the display times out, the screen...
  6. My Laptop turns off few minutes after connecting it to an external monitor USB type c...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Laptop turns off few minutes after connecting it to an external monitor USB type c...: My laptop does these quite often, it shows me a black screen after a few minutes of connecting to an external monitor. I always have to force restart it whenever that happens. After I do that it always shows me that the system went through some issues and needs to be...
  7. My Laptop turns off few minutes after connecting it to an external monitor USB type c...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Laptop turns off few minutes after connecting it to an external monitor USB type c...: My laptop does these quite often, it shows me a black screen after a few minutes of connecting to an external monitor. I always have to force restart it whenever that happens. After I do that it always shows me that the system went through some issues and needs to be...
  8. External monitor is turning on and off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External monitor is turning on and off: Hello, today I woke up and the monitor that is connected to my laptop has started flickering on and off when I connect it with my HDMI cord. The monitor itself isn't broken because when I unplug the cord the monitor will stay on fine. This has happened before and I fixed it...
  9. Monitors won't turn off after specified time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitors won't turn off after specified time: Hello, I'm having an issue with my power settings, basically my monitors won't go to standby mode. Doesn't matter if I turn off all background apps or lock the screen, they still remain on indefinitely. I need to have this computer running 24/7 for other reasons, but I would...
  10. Microsoft Surface Pro 7 usb-c external monitor problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Surface Pro 7 usb-c external monitor problems: The MS Surface Pro 7 has a very picky usb-c port, is anybody looking at improving this port. The computers below work with any of our external monitors, HDMI adapters or cables. MS Surface Pro 1 mini display port MS Surface Pro 3 mini display port HP Spectre Bang Olufsen...