Windows 10: Surface Type cover not detected after waking from sleep and preventing clean shutdown

Discus and support Surface Type cover not detected after waking from sleep and preventing clean shutdown in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm sharing because no one else on the internet seemed to have my issue (yet) and I spent hours on it. I had a device driver issue with the surface... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kcd83, Jul 22, 2018.

1. kcd83 Win User

Surface Type cover not detected after waking from sleep and preventing clean shutdown

I'm sharing because no one else on the internet seemed to have my issue (yet) and I spent hours on it.

I had a device driver issue with the surface type cover and my surface pro 4 where the keyboard would fail and Windows 10 could not shutdown cleanly. It was very repeatable:

• Fresh boot and all is fine
    • Close the surface (i.e magnet sends it to sleep)
    • Open and wake the surface - now the type cover is not detected, no keyboard, no touchpad
    • Checked Device Manager and it has unsurprisingly gone. Best seen with View >Devices by container and with View > Show Hidden Devices
    • Nothing in the event logs
    • Upon shutdown Windows logs out... goes black and hangs until it green/blue screens with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
    • Fresh boot works again
    • Send feedback in response to the why did your unexpectedly computer not shutdown

I had an older driver, uninstalled it and updated to the following, this did not help.

Surface Type Cover Filter Device

23/03/2017

Slow track updates have been failing for me for around a couple of weeks with RS_PRERELEASE_FLT "not quite ready yet"

I do get developer preview builds so I changed from slow track to fast track and windows build 17713 seems to have resolved the issue.

Hopefully no one else has this experience... but if you do, please share.

:)

kcd83, Jul 22, 2018
  2. Legspeed Win User

Type Cover issues, sporadic behavior in Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

These steps do not solve the problem. I have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 with all updates installed. I was in the preview program. At the last preview, I did a complete clean install to fix this exact problem. It was fixed and now this issue is
    back.

Now, with my brand new RTM version of Windows I am having the same problem again.

I want to emphasize that I have ALL the updates installed.

I have just done the following:

• Booted the machine
    • Put the machine to sleep by closing the type cover (it must sleep)
    • Opened the type cover
    • Discovered that (once again) the type cover does not respond
    • Used the touch interface to navigate to the device manager
    • Discovered that (once again) the Surface Type Cover driver is NOT LOADING
    • Forced it to load by adding the Surface Type Cover
    • Which causes the Type Cover to resume working (without a reboot, which also works)

Ok -- so the problem (which is a regression, I believe) is that the driver is once again NOT LOADING correctly with the latest versions of Win10. So, this needs to get actually fixed again.

This now never doesn't happen (it other words, it is fully repeatable, all the time, 100% broken). At least for me. (Yes, I have cleaned the contacts on the keyboard and Surface Pro3 unit).

One more observation -- I do have Bluetooth HID devices paired (but not near, not active when this problem occurs.). It could be the thing that makes a few of us different.

Anyhow -- this is real and it is a real problem for the Surface Pro 3.

Legspeed, Jul 22, 2018
  3. Legspeed Win User
    Type Cover issues, sporadic behavior in Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

Just to say that this is still a problem with the type cover.

To recap -- every time the Surface Pro 3 goes to sleep it will fail to reload the Surface Type Cover drivers when it wakes up.

I have little installed but Office. I'm running the latest preview version of Win 10. I have downloaded and fully reinstalled Surface Pro 3 drivers several time.

The last time I was able to fix this issue was a completely clean install of the last Win 10 preview version prior to the RTM version. The RTM version worked correctly for awhile until an update again broke the Type Cover.

Again -- I suspect some regression in a post RTM build. I suspect not everyone has this problem and that it could be the presence of other HID drivers that are not unloading or reloading correctly and thus cause the Type Cover drivers to fail.

I would be grateful for any insight or other fixes. I don't want to do a clean install, but that's the next step.

Legspeed, Jul 22, 2018
  4. tinkerwzo Win User

Surface Type cover not detected after waking from sleep and preventing clean shutdown

Surface Pro 4 Type Cover not working after Anniversary Update

I ran into that too with Win 10 Anniversary update. It totally disabled my Type Cover. According to Microsoft and some folks on the web, the force reboot works.

I took the dive and did a hard reboot of my Surface Pro 4 (Microsoft warns that do this only with Surface Pro 4) This is verbatim from Microsoft:

Use this two-button shutdown process to make sure your Surface is turned off completely.
    Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it. Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
    The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds. (this is the scary part. Note that I saw the BIOS screen came on within 3 - 4 seconds... but you need to continue to hold like Microsoft said. The screen went off for me then on again with the BIOS screen then off.. that's when I released the buttons) Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds. Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

And that did it for me. You would think Microsoft would test their Win 10 Anniversary update on their own Surface Pro devices... oh well.

See real link on Microsoft site: Microsoft Surface Touch Cover and Type Cover help | Touchpad help

tinkerwzo, Jul 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Surface Type cover not detected after waking from sleep and preventing clean shutdown - Similar Threads - Surface Type cover

2. Surface Type Cover keyboard malfunctioning!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Type Cover keyboard malfunctioning!: My Surface Pro 5 type cover keyboard is suddenly malfunctioning. Pressing “c” turns up the screen brightness f2 and tries to launch Cortana. Pressing “enter”shows screen brightness without increasing or decreasing it, then returns $ and carriage return. I can no longer use my...
  3. Surface Type Cover keyboard malfunctioning!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Type Cover keyboard malfunctioning!: My Surface Pro 5 type cover keyboard is suddenly malfunctioning. Pressing “c” turns up the screen brightness f2 and tries to launch Cortana. Pressing “enter”shows screen brightness without increasing or decreasing it, then returns $ and carriage return. I can no longer use my...
  4. Surface Go Type Cover does not wake Surface Go from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface Go Type Cover does not wake Surface Go from sleep: Hi, This is a pretty straightforward problem. My Surface Go Type cover will simply not wake my Surface Go 1 from sleep. I have to press the power button and enter my pin using the touchscreen in order to get into my account. Occasionally, I'll have to disconnect and...
  5. Preventing laptop from going to shutdown after putting it to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Preventing laptop from going to shutdown after putting it to sleep: Preventing laptop from going to shutdown after putting it to sleep... My laptop has forgotten how to sleep https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preventing-laptop-from-going-to-shutdown-after/8b921561-ada1-4c25-9764-508dfc615bab
  6. Preventing laptop from going to shutdown after putting it to sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    Preventing laptop from going to shutdown after putting it to sleep: when i make my laptop sleep and open it after some time it is already shut down, it never opens from where i left it what must i do?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preventing-laptop-from-going-to-shutdown-after/d1107476-8cba-4411-a25a-ce29088e1cf4
  7. Surface Type Cover stopped

Surface Type Cover stopped: After installing the latest updates, my stopped working I have taken it off and put it back on I have uninstalled the driver and reinstalled Then I tried to uninstall the windows updates but they won't stay uninstalled. Any ideas?...
  8. Surface Pro Type Cover Stopped Working After Waking From Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro Type Cover Stopped Working After Waking From Sleep Mode: I got a type cover for my surface pro, and attached it and it worked immediately out of the box and I used it just fine for several hours. Then I put the pro in sleep mode and set it down for a few hours. When I later opened it back up and tried to wake it up, the type cover...
  9. Surface Pro 4 Type Cover

Surface Pro 4 Type Cover: Recently, I have been trying to use my Surface Pro 4 with the keyboard cover, but the keyboard cover has been unresponsive. I have tried everything on your troubleshoot page for the keyboard cover from the two-button shut down to cleaning it to updating and resetting my...
  10. Waking surface pro from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Waking surface pro from sleep: Can someone show how to wake a Surface Pro with Window 10 installed from sleep to run a scheduled task? it seems like Connected Standby mode disables all desktop apps from waking it from a sleep mode. For instance, a task in the task scheduler to wake up is simply ignored...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. type cover goes to sleep

2. surface pro keyboard not working after sleep

3. type cover stops working after returning from sleep

4. surface type cover not detected,
  5. typecover issue after hibernate surface,
  6. surface pro type cover goes to sleep,
  7. cover type uninstalls after sleep surface,
  8. surface pro wake when cover opened,
  9. type cover wakeup,
  10. type cover stopped working after sleep mode,
  11. surface pro 4 wake up when open type cover