Windows 10: SurfacePro 2 screen turns black w/external Monitor

Discus and support SurfacePro 2 screen turns black w/external Monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; We have a Surface Pro 2 that's only a few months old, and the screen on the laptop turns black when plugging in an external monitor. When you unplug... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TimCDA26, Aug 5, 2020.

1. TimCDA26 Win User

SurfacePro 2 screen turns black w/external Monitor

We have a Surface Pro 2 that's only a few months old, and the screen on the laptop turns black when plugging in an external monitor. When you unplug the monitor the screen stays black and you have to do a hard reset to get it back. It was working fine until recently. We've checked for updates and tried different monitors.

:)

TimCDA26, Aug 5, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Aug 5, 2020
  3. my acer aspire laptop dosent detect external vga monitor .

Hi Sivaram,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    This issue might be happening because of the faulty drivers. That’s the reason you are getting intermittent connection on external monitor.

However, you may try the below suggested steps.

Step 1: Try connecting on a different monitor and check if the issue still persists.

Step 2: Try using a different VGA cable to connect with external monitor and check the status of the issue.

Step 3: Update display driver adapters

You may refer the article
    Update drivers in Windows 10
    and check the status of the issue.

Step 4: Check for an updated Video driver on the

Acer drivers and Manuals page

For more information you may also refer
    troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Aug 5, 2020
  4. SurfacePro 2 screen turns black w/external Monitor

black screen w no cursor after HDMI to external monitor

Hi Kung,

To resolve your concern with powering up your laptop, we suggest that you follow the Startup Repair steps below:

• Turn off your laptop.
    • Turn on your laptop. As soon as you see the Windows logo with the spinning dots, press and hold down the power button until your laptop turns off. Do this process
      twice.
    • Turn on your laptop for the third time, and let it load.
    • It should give you the message: Preparing Automatic Repair.
    • On the next screen that would appear, click on Advanced Options.
    • Select Troubleshoot.
    • Go to Advanced Options.
    • Click on Startup Repair.
    • Wait for the repair to finish.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

SurfacePro 2 screen turns black w/external Monitor

1. SurfacePro 2 screen turns black w/external Monitor - Similar Threads - SurfacePro screen turns

2. External monitor detected but showing full black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor detected but showing full black screen: Hi all,I connected my external monitor to my laptop with two different HDMI-cables. My laptop screen 'pops' as if it has connected and in the display settings the second screen is shown. I also can drag my cursor to the second monitor, but I can't see the cursor there. The...
  3. External monitor detected but showing full black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor detected but showing full black screen: Hi all,I connected my external monitor to my laptop with two different HDMI-cables. My laptop screen 'pops' as if it has connected and in the display settings the second screen is shown. I also can drag my cursor to the second monitor, but I can't see the cursor there. The...
  4. External monitor going black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor going black: I have a laptop with a damaged screen, so I started using a flat screen TV as a monitor connected with an HDMI cable. I actually have 2 different Dynex flat screens. Both used to work fine. Now one the larger, newer one will display for a short period then go black. The...
  5. External Monitor All Black

External Monitor All Black: I have an HP Spectre X360 15" that is set up as dual boot Windows 10 / Ubuntu Linux. It has a Dell 23" external monitor connected via HDMI. I've been using Linux pretty much exclusively over the past several months due to a project I'm working on. When I use the laptop...
  6. External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen: I'm having a problem with an external VGA monitor connected to my Win10 home PC. When I plug in the monitor (to VGA port), it is detected but the display blinks on and goes black immediately. I have to unplug and re-plug up to 12 times and finally the monitor comes on and...
  7. External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen: I'm having a problem with an external VGA monitor connected to my Win10 home PC. When I plug in the monitor (to VGA port), it is detected but the display blinks on and goes black immediately. I have to unplug and re-plug up to 12 times and finally the monitor comes on and...
  8. External Monitor is detected, but black

External Monitor is detected, but black: My monitor was working perfectly this morning. I left for lunch and came back to a black screen. I've tried installing updates and the hdmi cord, but nothing has fixed this. The monitor is detected, as I can drag windows over to it. It's just black. Any suggestions?...
  9. Black screen after turning monitor off and on

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen after turning monitor off and on: Hello all I have a desktop PC, running windows 10 video card NVIDIA GTX 750Ti driver 364.72 (newest) Dual Monitor : BENQ connected with Digital Port HP connected with DVI Problem: if I switch the BENQ monitor off, when I turn it on again it displays a...
  10. Both laptop screen and external monitor go black

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Both laptop screen and external monitor go black: I have the new Acer Aspire laptop and a TV which I use as a monitor. They have worked together very happily some time now. But yesterday I had to do a forced shutdown when the start button would not work and the TV screen shrank in size and there were error messages. When I...