Windows 10: Surge Protector Recommendations

Discus and support Surge Protector Recommendations in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Anyone have good recommendation for surge protector? Looking at amazon and there are tons of them... but i notice in many of these great reviews... lot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paulyjustin, May 4, 2021.

1. Surge Protector Recommendations

Anyone have good recommendation for surge protector? Looking at amazon and there are tons of them... but i notice in many of these great reviews... lot of top comments seem to say negative about it. Don't want to spend a ton on one like 50+ dollars etc. I notice many that are 20 dollars and under... are those fine? I know joules is what you need to look at. The current one im using has 600 joules and work good but im using one that I bought outside the US which im at right now. Like to get a good recommended one in the US on amazon/best buy etc when I use it in the US.

:)

paulyjustin, May 4, 2021
  2. Ghot Win User

Surge Protector Recommendations

@paulyjustin

A power strip is just like an extension cord. It allows you to hook more devices to one outlet.

A surge protector has a built in circuit breaker. If the surge protector tries to pass too much voltage or amperage, the circuit breaker will... trip (turn OFF).

So... yes. You might be plugging 6 things into one outlet, but it won't hurt anything.

Here's a cheaper Tripplite surge protector... if money is an issue...

$24.99 Amazon.com

Surge Protector Recommendations [​IMG]

Ghot, May 4, 2021
  3. AddRAM Win User

Surge Protectors are Surge protectors, a Power strip is a Power strip.

Never plug your PC into a Power strip.

Unless it`s connected to a Surge Protector *Biggrin

I use Trtipp-Lites along with Steren surge protectors.

AddRAM, May 4, 2021
  4. Ghot Win User

Back in 2005, I had a lightning bolt hit the street just in front of our house...
    The surge protector... melted.

Computer was OK though.

I think you've just been... extremely lucky.

Oh gee, what does every modern house, have in the garage or basement?
    That's right... a box full of surge protectors (circuit breakers), protecting every wiring circuit in their house.

Do you want to guess how many circuit breakers I've had to replace over the years, for being "fried" still conducting?

Surge protectors are NOT "snake oil".

Right out of high school I went into the service (electronics tech). At multiple sites, designed by full blown electronic engineers... EVERY piece or pile of delicate electronics was protected by surge protectors or UPS systems.

It amazes me that there is still anyone on the planet that would think surge protectors and UPS were... snake oil.

I will grant you that a $10 surge protector... is snake oil. *Smile

Yes, everything CAN fail at one time or another, even quality surge protectors.
    But most of the time they turn a non-surviable incident (for your electronics), into a survivable one. *Smile

/edit

I apologize for being snarky. But you really need to do some REAL research on quality surge protectors and UPS systems.

I mean I can find loads of people online that seriously believe the world is flat. Even otherwise intelligent people.
    You can't trust absolutely everything you read on the internet.

Ghot, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Surge Protector Recommendations - Similar Threads - Surge Protector Recommendations

2. Power Surge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Surge: I am getting the following message every time I open my PC: Hope you can see it. It's telling me to disconnect the device and hit "reset." How the heck can I hit reset if the power surge USB is the mouse? Please advise and thanks....
  3. Power Surge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power Surge: I am getting the following message every time I open my PC: Hope you can see it. It's telling me to disconnect the device and hit "reset." How the heck can I hit reset if the power surge USB is the mouse? Please advise and thanks....
  4. Is a screen protector recommended for the Surface Pro 7+?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is a screen protector recommended for the Surface Pro 7+?: I recently bought a new Surface Pro 7+ which I plan on using for college. For the vast majority of the time, I use my Surface inside, rarely taking it outdoors. I would buy a screen protector, but I personally find them difficult to apply without making mistakes. Though, of...
  5. Is a screen protector recommended for the Surface Pro 7+?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is a screen protector recommended for the Surface Pro 7+?: I recently bought a new Surface Pro 7+ which I plan on using for college. For the vast majority of the time, I use my Surface inside, rarely taking it outdoors. I would buy a screen protector, but I personally find them difficult to apply without making mistakes. Though, of...
  6. Battery backup surge protector question

in Windows 10 Support
    Battery backup surge protector question: Just in case if the power outage, can i use battery backup surge protector? So that I can use my computer if the power outage 181803
  7. Surge Protection

in Windows 10 Support
    Surge Protection: So I don't think we often mention this, but for our electrical equipment I had to ask this to protect as much as possible. I know we can discuss backup power supplies, but I wanted to ask more on just the plug side. I wanted to see which surge protector people are using and...
  8. Screen protector

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen protector: I put a screen protector on my Mircrosoft Pro 6 and now when in tablet mode touch screen not working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-protector/56399d3f-5a9d-404d-954a-51fd70db7f12
  9. A good ups/power surge protector for gaming ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A good ups/power surge protector for gaming ?: I hope this is the right spot for this question but, I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a quality ups/power surge protector? *some additional info * BenQ XL2430T (1920x1080@144Hz EVGA | 850W 220-G2-0850-XR R. ( The rest of my computer info is...
  10. How to tell if your Power Surge Protector Fails ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to tell if your Power Surge Protector Fails ?: Hey ,Everyone general question how can you tell if a Power Surge Protector is dying It seems that i am having a issue with mine #1 Random shut downs and restarts #2 Computer attempts to turn on but power dies ,I'll ,move the stripe power comes back These are...