Windows 10: Surprise, Microsoft changed Windows Update behavior for the better in Windows 10 1903

Discus and support Surprise, Microsoft changed Windows Update behavior for the better in Windows 10 1903 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Since the release of Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system in 2015, updating and patching was at the heart of criticism that administrators and power... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 6, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Surprise, Microsoft changed Windows Update behavior for the better in Windows 10 1903

Since the release of Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system in 2015, updating and patching was at the heart of criticism that administrators and power users leveled at Microsoft. It was not the only argument brought forth against Windows 10, Telemetry being another, but it was a major one.

A lack of control over updates and quality issues caused quite some havoc since then. Microsoft pushes out cumulative updates once a month on the second Tuesday of the month. The company releases a second cumulative update that acts as a preview of things to come in the same month.

While Windows 10 featured options to delay updates, it did so in a convoluted messy way that depended on the edition and version of Windows 10. It did not really help that Microsoft changed updating throughout the years; and all of that was confirmed in a study recently.

Surprise, Microsoft changed Windows Update behavior for the better in Windows 10 1903 windows-10-optional-updates.png

The focus on cumulative updates meant additionally that administrators could no longer install updates selectively, it was an all or nothing approach. Microsoft released special security-only updates for Windows 7 and 8.1 but not for Windows 10.

Imagine the following scenario: you click on the check for updates button in an earlier version of Windows 10. You might get:

• A preview update that is installed automatically on the system.
    • An update to a new feature version of Windows 10 that is installed automatically.

But even if you avoided the check for updates button like the plague, you would eventually get feature updates pushed to the system that you got little control over. That could lead to all kinds of issues, from programs that were removed, apps and settings that were reset , to the introduction of serious issues that would take months to patch sometimes.

One of the better options was to block Windows Updates and install updates after careful selection only; this allowed admins to regain some of the control lost in Windows 10 but at the expense of having to spend time researching updates and, potentially, fixing security issues at a later point in time.

The release of Windows 10 version 1903 changed that, and this time for the better. While there is still room for improvement, it appears that preview releases of cumulative updates and new feature updates are not getting installed automatically anymore when you hit the check for updates button.

Instead, they are listed under "optional updates available" on Windows Updates. Means: you may use the button again to run a manual check for updates without the fear of pushing an unstable update or a new feature update to the system.

Updates cannot be avoided indefinitely with built-in options. Microsoft will push updates to versions of Windows 10 that are about to run out of support, and cumulative updates can only be delayed for a certain period either.

Closing Words

I still think that there is lots of room for improvement. I'd like to see an option that lists all available updates so that I may pick the ones that I want installed on the system. That's wishful thinking but exactly how third-party updating tools like Windows Update Minitool or Sledgehammer operate.

Now You: what is your take on the development?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks/). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Surprise, Microsoft changed Windows Update behavior for the better in Windows 10 1903 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 6, 2019
  2. RejZoR Win User

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

I'm currently on Windows 10 and the Windows Update is fucking retarded. I'm a power user and I have ABSOLUTELY NO control over it's behavior. Can't even select notify but let me decide when to install like in Windows 8.1. Nope. Treat me like a fucking noob. WTF Microsoft!?

RejZoR, Sep 6, 2019
  3. Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Sep 6, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Surprise, Microsoft changed Windows Update behavior for the better in Windows 10 1903

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Sep 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Surprise, Microsoft changed Windows Update behavior for the better in Windows 10 1903 - Similar Threads - Surprise Microsoft changed

2. Microsoft surprise

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft surprise: I had an old laptop that came with Vista, got upgraded to 7 and then 10, all Home versions. A friend who works in IT gave me a fully legal and unused 8.1 Pro retail key he had no need for. It upgraded the old laptop to Windows 10 Pro. But that antique got so slow that it...
  3. Microsoft Windows 10 version 1903 Updates

Microsoft Windows 10 version 1903 Updates: Hello, recently I've been seeing many articles relating to hacks and bugs etc. Please help me find which is the safest update currently?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-windows-10-version-1903-updates/a64700f2-83cb-459a-b7b4-86c9ef6fddc2
  4. Windows 10 1903 or 1809, which is better and stable.

Windows 10 1903 or 1809, which is better and stable.: I would like to update my ongoing version 1709 ( 16299.1087 ). The latest version by Microsoft official is 1903. Is it good to update to 1903 ? Is the 1809 somehow still available ? If it is then kindly give me any of the links, as i heard before that 1809 is stable than...
  5. Is it normal behavior for 1903?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is it normal behavior for 1903?: My CPU being loaded under 60% when I open File Manager. On Task Manager opening it loads at 100%. Is it normal or abnormal? What are yours? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-normal-behavior-for-1903/403918bf-04fa-49d6-916f-cf1380cf7042
  6. Windows 1903 Update changed Windows 10 Edition

Windows 1903 Update changed Windows 10 Edition: I was running Windows 10 Professional version 1709. After updating to version 1903 my edition in windows specification has changed to Windows 10 Home. I do not understand why this update changed my edition. Can anyone explain this? and how do I change this back to Windows...
  7. Windows 10 changed my life for the better!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 changed my life for the better!: When Windows 10 came out and absolutely demolished everyone's computers and my own continuously, usually after a month or two of the garbage automatic updates taking it out, I got curious and started looking into other operating systems. I took a couple of freebie online...
  8. Windows 10 Update Behavior

Windows 10 Update Behavior: Wanted to find out HOW to change The Behavior of Windows Update?? Recent Event: I was in a MMO Game doing a Raid with a Group. Update Literally Yanked Me out of the Game so it could Update my Windows. I was NOT a Happy Camper. Sad Part is I was the Raid Leader. Can't Update...
  9. Windows 10 changes Outlook default behavior

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 changes Outlook default behavior: In upgrading from Windows 8 to Win10, it's changed a number of default settings which I can't figure out how to change. First, when I send a message in Outlook 2013, it returns me to the desktop instead of the Inbox. THis is incredibly annoying. Does anyone know how to...
  10. Microsoft will surprise in 2015

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will surprise in 2015: As the company seeks new ways to grow, it is likely to explore things once unthinkable for it. You may have noticed that I take a rather cynical view of Microsoft. But I think I am able to recognize when it does good things. As a matter of fact, I think the company made...