Windows 10: Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware

Discus and support Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there particularly @Kari - you seem to be the resident expert on HYPER-V !!!! I have two reasonably identical VM's (Linux CENTOS 7 basically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Sep 11, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware

Hi there

particularly @Kari - you seem to be the resident expert on HYPER-V !!!!

I have two reasonably identical VM's (Linux CENTOS 7 basically runnng SAMBA, PLEX media server, logitech media server and sharing some files).

The shared files are on 2 logical RAID 0 arrays -- Hardware RAID controller used ( actual hardware 2 X 4 TB and 2 X 3 TB 7200 rpm HDD's) connect as RAW HDD's so the native XFS Linux file system is used on the VM's -- no problem there with that BTW.

Running Windows 2010 PRO x-64GB version build 1607 with vmware - suspend VM -- takes about 4 secs. With HYPER-V suspend takes sometimes over a minute.

Both VM's have the OS itself on an SSD and they aren't running concurrently - to get HYPER-V you need to disable vmware and vice versa.

At suspend time the servers don't have any clients accessing them - i.e there's no remote TV's watching streamed video from PLEX.

Any ideas !!! -- can't understand why the suspend and resume function takes so long on HYPER-V -- it's a very useful facility BTW.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 11, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Windows 10 Virtual PC/ Hyper-V to run XP Mode

I hope you installed Windows 10 for more than just Hyper-V, because Hyper-V was also available in Windows 8, and Windows 7 had a version of Hyper-V called Windows Virtual PC, which was designed to run Windows XP.

I'll tell you right off the top that I can't answer your question about Hyper-V because I have limited experience with it. I did make it work, but it took several tries before I finally figured it out. I can also say from experience that VirtualBox and VMware
    Workstation Player both run Windows XP very well and they're much easier to understand and setup than Hyper-V. And they're free. I think you'll enjoy either one more than Hyper-V.

Hyper-V was originally written for servers, which is why it's more complicated to setup compared to creating a VM in either VirtualBox or VMware. A lot of the terminology in Hyper-V is about servers, too.

You really ought to try VB or VMware - your XP VM will be up and running in minutes.

If you already have a .vhd you can open it in both programs, but eventually you'll want to convert it to a native format.

BulldogXX, Sep 11, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Hyper V

Hyper-V is either installed or not installed. It cannot be disabled.

After I was done experimenting with Hyper-V I deleted my VM and uninstalled Hyper-V. Poof, gone.

Hyper-V worked fine for me, but I still prefer VMWare. Hyper-V works best with Ethernet; it's trickier with WiFi.

BulldogXX, Sep 11, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

First, there are two ways to suspend a Hyper-V vm, Save (#1 in screenshot below) and Pause (#2):

Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware [​IMG]

Both can also be found in Action menu. Using PowerShell, the cmdlets are Save-VM "vm_name" (to resume Start-VM "vm_name") to save vm, and Suspend-VM "vm_name" (to resume Resume-VM "vm_name") to pause vm.

Difference between these two methods is that whereas Pause only releases all host processor resources still reserving RAM allocated to it, Save releases all host resources, including RAM. Pausing and resuming a vm is instant and the recommended way to suspend if your host has enough RAM to manage without part allocated to vm.

You could say that relation of these two suspend options is as relation of Sleep (Pause) and Hibernate (Save) on a physical machine.

Saving a vm really takes some time. This, the time needed of course depends on how much is going on, how many and how resource hungry processes are running on vm. Testing it just now on three virtual machines with different programs up and running I got Save times from 12 - 15 seconds (resume 5 to 10 seconds, no programs running) up to 25 - 30 seconds (resume 20 - 25 seconds, Windows Update installing updates, a document open in Word, a presentation in PowerShell, video playing in Kodi and so on). These times on low end i5 / 12 GB / 7200 spinner laptop host.

Not knowing Plex I can only guess that it might be at least a partial reason for your slow suspend. Why VMware does this faster, I have not a faintest clue. Sorry.

Tip Did you know that you can shut down / restart the host letting virtual machines to be up and running? I have selected Save the virtual machine state as Automatic Stop Action for all my virtual machines:

When I shut down the host, all my virtual machines running at that moment will be automatically saved. After restart they are not automatically resumed because I have selected Automatically start if it was running when the service stopped option in Automatic Start Options:

If I want a specific vm be run every time I sign in to Windows on host I would select Always start this vm automatically.

Thema:

1. Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware - Similar Threads - Suspend Resume much

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V: Hi folks would be interesting to compare performance of a VM running under VMWare (workstation / player), Virtual Box or HYPER-V. Using a W7 VM (with latest updates applied) I got a reasonable performance spec on an 8GB HP envy laptop -- I chose W7 as the built in...
  4. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  5. Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V: Hi folks am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V For anybody trying this too -- do back up your existing VM if you think you'll need it or if the conversion process fails, How to Convert Vmware Virtual...
  6. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  7. VMware with only Hyper-V Manager

VMware with only Hyper-V Manager: When you have Hyper-V fully installed on a Windows 10 machine, a Standard User can only access Hyper-V via a server connection. This gave me an idea. I was wondering if you could install only Hyper-V Management Tools on the host system and still be able to run VMware. In...
  8. HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation

HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation: Hi there just thought I'd do a Bonkers experiment - works and isn't too slow (but use SSD !!!). Host W10 X-64 PRO with HYPER-V VM1 (ist level VM - 2nd level machine) Linux CENTOS 7 with latest kernel (4.7) VM2 --installed VMware workstation on the Linux machine...
  9. VMWare VM in Hpyer V

VMWare VM in Hpyer V: HI Folks, Here is one of those really silly questions. . .*Smile,can you use a VM created with VMWare with Hyper V. Just wondering since MS doesn't want Hyper V and VMWare working together on the same OS. . .bummer. . .*Tongue 43374
  10. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...
Tags: