Windows 10: Suspicious "AVAST Upgrade utility" window?

Discus and support Suspicious "AVAST Upgrade utility" window? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a window which opened itself at some point and I think it's suspicious. I honestly don't remember whether I installed AVAST antivirus (I know... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by THX1138, May 3, 2017.

1. THX1138 Win User

Suspicious "AVAST Upgrade utility" window?

I have a window which opened itself at some point and I think it's suspicious. I honestly don't remember whether I installed AVAST antivirus (I know for sure I have Malwarebytes installed) but when I go to my installed programs and type 'avast' in the search bar, nothing shows up. When I use Task Manager to find the location of the program that the window represents, it's in C:\Program Files\Common Files\AV\avast! Antivirus
    Please see the below screenshot and advise, am I right to be suspicious? It follows a recent major update to Windows 10, so maybe AVAST was uninstalled for that and left this utility to reinstall itself? Or maybe it's some attack on people who can't remember what antivirus they decided to use. Notice that the window title bar isn't tall enough to fit everything in it which looks pretty unprofessional, as does capitalisation of 'Upgrade' but not 'utility'.

http://imgur.com/3mVptfM.png

:)

THX1138, May 3, 2017

2. Sudden delay before start of any program

Your question about third party antivirus software made me a bit suspicious, as I just upgraded from Free Avast to Internet Security.

I have been looking a bit into the options of Avast and found, that by default Avast checks a programm before starting it. I turned this function off and will monitor how that affects my system.

Robert Bluemel, May 3, 2017
  3. PLEASE UPGRADE NOKIA X2 TO " SYMBIAN OS " EDITION ...

download j2me edition of blueftp to your x2. Configure the settings on application access.

Then browse files, highlight the file which you want to hide press 9

three action will appear.

generalmember, May 3, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

At first glace it looks like you had Avast at one time, but uninstalled it. Most AVs are notoriously difficult to uninstall completely, so most provide tools to complete the uninstall. Avast have an uninstall utility for cleaning up 'leftovers'.
    Avast Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for Avast Removal

Bree, May 3, 2017
  5. WOT
    WOT Win User
    I have almost the same information in the directory screenshot you provided so it looks like you may have Avast either partially or completely installed:

Suspicious "AVAST Upgrade utility" window? [​IMG]

Also, I have never seen an Avast notice as shown in your image but that doesn't mean it is not legitimate either.

Anyway, I would download and execute the AvastClear tool to completely uninstall Avast. Then reinstall it if you wish:

Avast Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for Avast Removal

Hope this helps,

UPDATE: Must have been posting simultaneously with @Bree

6. clam1952 Win User
    I uninstalled Avast back before Christmas and have the AV folder with nothing in it on one PC and no trace of it on the other PC I also uninstalled it from, got fed up with the Nagware for additional features. Might want to check there is nothing in Task Scheduler triggering a check for updates?

clam1952, May 3, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    I've seen that notice before; it's legit. IIRC, I unstalled Avast, then updated a system to W10. I think it had an option to "reinstall later" or something like that, and so it leaves that upgrader function on your system. The AvastClear should get rid of it.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Suspicious "AVAST Upgrade utility" window? - Similar Threads - Suspicious AVAST Upgrade

2. Suspicious Window

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Suspicious Window: Hi everyone, I have this small blank window that i can only reduce and enlarge, hidden on my desktop and I dont really know where that came from.Someone could help me please? https://reddit.com/link/m7vyyp/video/r8ipc34lotn61/player submitted by /u/xAlex90 [link]...
  3. Avast detected a suspicious file but failed to delete it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Avast detected a suspicious file but failed to delete it: Hello, So yesterday when I turned my pc on an Avast pop-up showed up, saying that they detected 3 suspicious files that could be harmful to my computer, the 3 of them named "LocalBridge.exe" and describing them as rootkits. Avast then proposed me to delete the files, but it...
  4. Avast

Avast: I keep getting pop ups on my computer from Avast Secure Line VPN. Don't know who they are or how they keep popping up. Like to know who the heck they are? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/avast/3d1def0b-e611-429c-a3e5-9645c64cde45
  5. AVAST!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    AVAST!: so suddenly avast antivirus installed in my pc, im just annoyed and try to uninstall it with different ways and still didnt work, so my last effort is activating administrator mode and log in to administrator mode, when im in admin mode i still cant delete the folder and it...
  6. Do I need to upgrade Avast and/or Malwarebytes

Do I need to upgrade Avast and/or Malwarebytes: I'm using Windows 10 version 1903, with S Mode disabled. My explorer is Chrome. I use Avast Free and Malwarebytes Free. Do I need to upgrade to one of their Premium versions? If so, which one? Thanks. 146831
  7. Do I need to upgrade Avast and/or Malwarebytes

in Windows 10 Support
    Do I need to upgrade Avast and/or Malwarebytes: I'm using Windows 10 version 1903, with S Mode disabled. My explorer is Chrome. I use Avast Free and Malwarebytes Free. Do I need to upgrade to one of their Premium versions? If so, which one? Thanks. 146831
  8. Avast

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Avast: Hello, Dear Sir, please be nice if you can help me with the activation of Avast Antivirus. Thank you! Wait for response! A good day! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/avast/c3225749-4e8a-4415-8200-ae12661a903c"
  9. Failure to upgrading avast security software

Failure to upgrading avast security software: I run avast-antivirus software for upgrading but it bring an error statement: AvastUI.exe-Entry point not found. The procedure entry point ?IsAdmin@CAvastUtil@ @QAEHH@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library aswutil.dll...
  10. Avast

Avast: ola, nao consigo abrir o avast antvirus no meu computador window XP, o que posso fazer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_start-windows_xp/avast/6faa07e1-58a3-46d2-b9ff-6ffe87543fd8