Windows 10: Suspicious characters in SMS verification message

Discus and support Suspicious characters in SMS verification message in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was trying to setup my sister's account on her new laptop a week ago and was asked for a mobile number for verification. I got the SMS with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by thetechnoob, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Suspicious characters in SMS verification message

I was trying to setup my sister's account on her new laptop a week ago and was asked for a mobile number for verification. I got the SMS with the access code, entered the code, and it worked, her account and laptop are now set. My concern is the weird characters in the SMS message and the sender ID not being from Microsoft, just a regular phone number:

Suspicious characters in SMS verification message 367329e8-b04b-4084-b6f4-7e85be70aa92?upload=true.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this didn't see an Account/Securit forum but what do you think? Does Microsoft send verification codes that way?

:)

thetechnoob, Aug 9, 2020

2. SMS character counter not appearing after 130 characters?

I have a lumia 610. However the SMS character counter is not appearing after 130 characters are typed in for an SMS message.

Any suggestions why this isn't happening?

mrcumulonimbus, Aug 9, 2020
  3. Gmail suspicious activity alert?

I'd definitely setup two-step verification like MailMan suggested. I actually just set it up myself, and have a similar feature on Facebook as well. Better safe than sorry! *Toast :toast:

f22a4bandit, Aug 9, 2020
  4. Suspicious characters in SMS verification message

microsoft account verification

Hi Cis,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

The issue could be due to some suspicious activity on the computer. I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link and see if that helps.

About two-step verification

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

Suspicious characters in SMS verification message

1. Suspicious characters in SMS verification message - Similar Threads - Suspicious characters SMS

2. SMS verification not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SMS verification not working: I'm locked out of my Windows 11 account as its saying I'm entering an incorrect Pin which is not correct.I can't remember my password for that account and the SMS verification isn't coming through.How can I reset my pin, password etc?Note: The account I'm using to post this...
  3. SMS verification not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SMS verification not working: I'm locked out of my Windows 11 account as its saying I'm entering an incorrect Pin which is not correct.I can't remember my password for that account and the SMS verification isn't coming through.How can I reset my pin, password etc?Note: The account I'm using to post this...
  4. not receiving sms verification

not receiving sms verification: Hi,I can't get sms verification codes event though my phone number is correct. What can be the problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-receiving-sms-verification/886ec95d-6193-40f6-80a6-7979d3264d03
  5. not receiving sms verification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not receiving sms verification: Hi,I can't get sms verification codes event though my phone number is correct. What can be the problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-receiving-sms-verification/886ec95d-6193-40f6-80a6-7979d3264d03
  6. SMS with verification code does not arrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SMS with verification code does not arrive: How to update my alternative security verification 2step when I never received SMS verification code ,tried multiple time in a week but never receiving sms...
  7. SMS with verification code does not arrive

SMS with verification code does not arrive: How to update my alternative security verification 2step when I never received SMS verification code ,tried multiple time in a week but never receiving sms...
  8. Not receiving the SMS Verification Text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not receiving the SMS Verification Text: I recently updated my laptop to Windows 11, and I am asked to verify my Microsoft account. The only verification method that i use is "Sending a text", and it asks for my phone number, which i enter correctly. Then, it says that a text has been sent, which never arrives....
  9. Not receiving the SMS Verification Text

Not receiving the SMS Verification Text: I recently updated my laptop to Windows 11, and I am asked to verify my Microsoft account. The only verification method that i use is "Sending a text", and it asks for my phone number, which i enter correctly. Then, it says that a text has been sent, which never arrives....
  10. Not receiving a verification code by text/sms

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Not receiving a verification code by text/sms: Been trying to use the verification txt/sms in 'Your Info' section of 'Setting' the past couple of day's. Am not receiving the txt from Microsoft. Been reading thou the different thread's here too.... still no closer to fixing said issue... help please.......