Windows 10: Suspicious Scams

Discus and support Suspicious Scams in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've received calls at least twice a month from someone pretending to be from Microsoft Windows Defender Refund Department. They claim that I have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TrustWho, Jul 19, 2019.

1. TrustWho Win User

Suspicious Scams

I've received calls at least twice a month from someone pretending to be from Microsoft Windows Defender Refund Department. They claim that I have paid $299.99 for security software and they can no longer provided security for my computer. They want to refund me the money, but they need access to my computer and my bank account in order to do so. This is absolutely crazy. I have been recording the numbers and they are never the same. Has anyone else received such calls?

:)

TrustWho, Jul 19, 2019

2. Suspicious Activity Scam Message Reappears

I have Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 64 bit. I have IE11 and Google Chrome. I have AV - Webroot.

I recently had a pc infection, adware / malware, and other PUA and followed the step-by-step instructions to: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam).

In this problem resolution process, I downloaded the free version of Zemana Antimalware, and set it to run on system start up. Initially, Zemana reported 2 suspicious browser settings in Chrome Policy and I indicated to Zemana software to repair the settings.
    The Zemana software reported "repaired". However, the repairs seem to be temporary, because after I shut-down/restart my pc, the Zemana software detects the same suspicious browser settings.

I contacted my antivirus software provider who investigated the 2 settings in my Registry and the Tech Support person indicated the Zemana Antimalware is detecting its "software filter extension" - so "false positive" detection by Zemana Antimalware.

I set the Zemana software to exclude these "objects" and voila Zemana no longer detects / reports these suspicious Chrome Policy settings.

Which now presents 2 problems for me:

1) Why are/were the Zemana repairs reverted?

2) I lack expertise to determine if there is risk to my pc going forward?

The objects in my registry are:

kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd and

kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd;https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx

Since the 1 object refers to a website and implies an "update", I'm wondering if the contents of the "update" can be changed so that the "update" could re-infect my PC?

LeslieSlaughter, Jul 19, 2019
  3. Smeed Win User
Thema:

Suspicious Scams

1. Suspicious Scams - Similar Threads - Suspicious Scams

2. Logged out of my Microsoft account because of "suspicious activity" and I don't have access...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Logged out of my Microsoft account because of "suspicious activity" and I don't have access...: I got logged out of my Microsoft account due to “suspicious activity” on the account and I don’t have access to my old phone which the verification code is sent to and I have tried the other method but it says I haven’t given enough info for an account I made 4 years ago I...
  3. Logged out of my Microsoft account because of "suspicious activity" and I don't have access...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Logged out of my Microsoft account because of "suspicious activity" and I don't have access...: I got logged out of my Microsoft account due to “suspicious activity” on the account and I don’t have access to my old phone which the verification code is sent to and I have tried the other method but it says I haven’t given enough info for an account I made 4 years ago I...
  4. Extremely suspicious Startup Program

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Extremely suspicious Startup Program: So I opened task manager and found something extremely suspicious when looking at Startups.2 Programs that i instantly disabled after seeing:"93fea261-8803-4534-a319-9d787a1696a8""5"What can they be? Can I do something about it? In the Screenshot provided below you can see...
  5. I have this app called uninstall in my laptop and it suspiciously suddenly appeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have this app called uninstall in my laptop and it suspiciously suddenly appeared: When I updated a game, it said it was created in 2023, which I never knew or saw. I found another question like that here, so I followed the suggestion there, but it was nowhere to be found aside from my desktop. What should I do?...
  6. I have this app called uninstall in my laptop and it suspiciously suddenly appeared

I have this app called uninstall in my laptop and it suspiciously suddenly appeared: When I updated a game, it said it was created in 2023, which I never knew or saw. I found another question like that here, so I followed the suggestion there, but it was nowhere to be found aside from my desktop. What should I do?...
  7. Startup application that seems suspicious ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup application that seems suspicious ?: Hello,While doing a basic check-up about what could slow down my computer just in case, I noticed those two entries in my Task Manager, on the startup tab.Since their name is really hazy, I couldn't find anything on them. Could it be some Windows leftovers registry or badly...
  8. Startup application that seems suspicious ?

Startup application that seems suspicious ?: Hello,While doing a basic check-up about what could slow down my computer just in case, I noticed those two entries in my Task Manager, on the startup tab.Since their name is really hazy, I couldn't find anything on them. Could it be some Windows leftovers registry or badly...
  9. Suspicious activity on behalf of my email

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suspicious activity on behalf of my email: I received a message from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is written in russian language and it says my "password has been changed" at least google translated "Ваш пароль изменен" to thisThe strange part is microsoft says, that there is no account associated with...
  10. Suspicious activity on behalf of my email

Suspicious activity on behalf of my email: I received a message from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is written in russian language and it says my "password has been changed" at least google translated "Ваш пароль изменен" to thisThe strange part is microsoft says, that there is no account associated with...