Windows 10: Suspicious Scams

Discus and support Suspicious Scams in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've received calls at least twice a month from someone pretending to be from Microsoft Windows Defender Refund Department. They claim that I have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TrustWho, Jul 19, 2019.

1. TrustWho Win User

Suspicious Scams

I've received calls at least twice a month from someone pretending to be from Microsoft Windows Defender Refund Department. They claim that I have paid $299.99 for security software and they can no longer provided security for my computer. They want to refund me the money, but they need access to my computer and my bank account in order to do so. This is absolutely crazy. I have been recording the numbers and they are never the same. Has anyone else received such calls?

:)

TrustWho, Jul 19, 2019

2. Suspicious Activity Scam Message Reappears

I have Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 64 bit. I have IE11 and Google Chrome. I have AV - Webroot.

I recently had a pc infection, adware / malware, and other PUA and followed the step-by-step instructions to: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam).

In this problem resolution process, I downloaded the free version of Zemana Antimalware, and set it to run on system start up. Initially, Zemana reported 2 suspicious browser settings in Chrome Policy and I indicated to Zemana software to repair the settings.
    The Zemana software reported "repaired". However, the repairs seem to be temporary, because after I shut-down/restart my pc, the Zemana software detects the same suspicious browser settings.

I contacted my antivirus software provider who investigated the 2 settings in my Registry and the Tech Support person indicated the Zemana Antimalware is detecting its "software filter extension" - so "false positive" detection by Zemana Antimalware.

I set the Zemana software to exclude these "objects" and voila Zemana no longer detects / reports these suspicious Chrome Policy settings.

Which now presents 2 problems for me:

1) Why are/were the Zemana repairs reverted?

2) I lack expertise to determine if there is risk to my pc going forward?

The objects in my registry are:

kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd and

kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd;https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx

Since the 1 object refers to a website and implies an "update", I'm wondering if the contents of the "update" can be changed so that the "update" could re-infect my PC?

LeslieSlaughter, Jul 19, 2019
  3. Smeed Win User
Thema:

Suspicious Scams

1. Suspicious Scams - Similar Threads - Suspicious Scams

2. CPU and MEMORY in task manager pumps 100% for no reason even AV can't find anything suspicious.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU and MEMORY in task manager pumps 100% for no reason even AV can't find anything suspicious.: My pc shows 100% efficiency has been used when I open task manager but I've not opened any applications yet. Disk spikes upto 100% without a reason.. I can see CPU , MEMORY and DISK spikes 100% one after another when I've not launched any other apps yet. I'm made it to...
  3. Suspicious blue restart and update popup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Suspicious blue restart and update popup: I am seeing a popup instructing me to restart and update now to maintain windows support. I have restarted since and there was no update, so I don't think it is from Microsoft, It is on blue background and does not show the Microsoft logo. Any thoughts appreciated....
  4. suspicious email

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    suspicious email: Trying to find out if an email I received is really from ms. Have sent in form, redid password. Anything else I can do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/suspicious-email/63ded4fa-ebc3-4ad5-93b5-f03459acf1bd"
  5. I got two suspicious emails today

I got two suspicious emails today: Hi there, I got two suspicious emails today. Both on the email address I use for my microsoft account. The first was one that only had "Your verification code is: XXXXXX.[IMG]" from *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. The second had a message that started with "...
  6. New Google Chrome Suspicious Site Reporter extension

in Windows 10 News
    New Google Chrome Suspicious Site Reporter extension: Chrome was built with security in mind from the very beginning. Today we're launching two new features to help protect users from deceptive websites. The Suspicious Site Reporter Extension will improve security for Chrome users by giving power users an easy way to report...
  7. Suspicious Microsoft Store Applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suspicious Microsoft Store Applications: I would like to report this issue about an application in Microsoft Store that is not working properly which I already uninstalled. After the installation, I quickly launched the application to test it, it crashed on the first startup. At startup, it requests for a 5-star...
  8. Suspicious Folder and Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Suspicious Folder and Files: Okay so I recently found this folder on my computer. I can delete it, however, it will just come back in 5 minutes. I try to search online for something about it, but there seems to be nothing. Antivirus doesn't seem to think it's a threat. I don't have much on this computer...
  9. Found 2 suspicious apps on my computer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Found 2 suspicious apps on my computer.: So today i logged into my laptop as usual after a long sleep,when i notice my CPU fan was spinning real fast then normal,so i open task manager and found two suspicious background apps taking up my CPU,when i opened file location,i don't remember installing these apps on my...
  10. Suspicious Activity

Suspicious Activity: Hey There, See email below about a service I paid for. I was a Microsoft office home user 18 months ago and experienced issues with my computer, I googled Microsoft Tech Support called the number and they told me I would need a third party to fix the issue. They then...