Windows 10: svchhost.exe hogging bandwith

Discus and support svchhost.exe hogging bandwith in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My internet download speed is only 1MB/s. Often svchost.exe eats up all the speed for itself, downloading something. Most often it's some update, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by oughweed, Nov 13, 2016.

1. oughweed Win User

svchhost.exe hogging bandwith

My internet download speed is only 1MB/s. Often svchost.exe eats up all the speed for itself, downloading something. Most often it's some update, but not always. Anyway I have unlimited data plan, so I don't care much about what it downloads, what drives me crazy is that while doing so it uses all the bandwidth. I can't use browser or any other internet related stuff during that time.

Is there a way to limit how much bandwith svchhost can use? Preferably in Windows, without using 3rdparty tool?

I've seen others having the same problem here in the past, but their questions were left without solutions. So far the only thing that worked for me was Netbalancer and Netlimiter. I tried to set the highest priority to FF and the lowest to svchost.exe, but that had no effect at all in neither Netbalancer nor Netlimiter. Then I tried to set fixed limit on how much bandwith svchhost can use and it works perfectly.

Problem is that both Netbalancer and Netlimiter are free only for a trial period. I can't afford to pay for them. Is there any way to fix this annoying bug from inside Windows 10 ? (never had this problem in W7). Or at least a free alternative for netlimiter?

:)

oughweed, Nov 13, 2016
  2. Mark Isi Win User

service host: local system

Hello,

A few possible reason why svchost.exe is hogging your internet bandwith could be due to pending Windows Update, virus or malware infection and such. A first step that we could suggest is to scan your PC with malwares and viruses, preferably with
    Windows Defender.

If the issue persists, kindly provide us with the following information to help us further assess the issue:

• Did you make any recent changes on the settings of your PC?
    • When did this issue started to occur?
    Keep us posted for updates.

Mark Isi, Nov 13, 2016
  3. Wireless mode set to 802.11n mode, still getting G speeds

Yeah I knew data bandwith depends on the Service providers, BUT my flagmate has his own laptop connected and he's receiving the whole speed bandwith (150Mbps)

titoshadow, Nov 13, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Short runs other software it doesn't do anything by its self so you need to use task manager and find out what it's actually running

Samuria, Nov 13, 2016
  5. oughweed Win User
    I know what's running mostly it's process 1368 windows update. Sometimes 1776 network service and process 1044 too.

oughweed, Nov 14, 2016
  6. ComputerGeek, Nov 14, 2016
  7. oughweed Win User
    I'm running Win10 Home, however I installed gpedit.msc and checked notify before downloading o installing. I don't know if it's going to work yet. There was no new update yet.

Anyway I think this is "kill a mosquito with a rocket launcher approach" I don't mind automatic updates on background I just want them not to eat all my bandwidth. And in fact this doesn't solve my problem. As soon as I allow the update to be downloaded my internet will be unusable untill they download anyway. Is there really no solution for such a simple thing? It makes me wanna hate Win 10

oughweed, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. svchhost.exe hogging bandwith - Similar Threads - svchhost exe hogging

2. low streaming bandwith

in Windows 10 Gaming
    low streaming bandwith: I have played fh4 since oktober 2020. I was playing on medium but noticed that i can play it on high graphics 60fps no lag nothing. but then in februari something strange happend and that is the low streaming bandwith. If i drive above 250 kph it gives an unplayable lag and...
  3. Chrome hogging all resources

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chrome hogging all resources: My Chrome(latest version) is hogging all resources, can having too many bookmarks, history, saved passwords, search engines etc cause chrome to hog all the PC resources? 167877
  4. Managing bandwith with a shared internet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Managing bandwith with a shared internet: I share my internet box with my neighbour. Is there a way to prevent me using all the bandwidth when he is connected ? I hope my english is not too bad.. submitted by /u/stackcverflow [link] [comments]...
  5. Hidden CPU hogs

Hidden CPU hogs: When high CPU usage is sapping a PC, I often can't find the cause in Task Manager. The total CPU use will be high, but no processes will be visible actually hogging the CPU. "Show all processes" or Resource Monitor don't reveal the culprit either. What is usually going on in...
  6. vmmem hogging memory !!!

vmmem hogging memory !!!: This process in hogging 5gb of ram in suspended state.. how do i get rid of it ? my virtual machines are off.. hyper v machines are off.. still it wont go away.. HELP !!! No wonder people prefer linux now !!! RAM HOGGER submitted by /u/gauravsood1991 [link] [comments]...
  7. Task Manager is hogging the CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Manager is hogging the CPU: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, auto updates. Crapware startup routines disabled except for a couple of printer updaters. Lately I have noticed laggy system performance. I see that Task Manager is hogging the CPU, routinely taking up 15-20% of the CPU. I...
  8. OneDrive consuming network bandwith

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive consuming network bandwith: Hi, OneDrive for Windows - 19.103.0527.0003 (July 15, 2019) is constantly using about 2 Mbps even though no sync is in progress. I left my computer for the night and in 30 hours, I had 4 gigabytes of traffic sent to api.onedrive.com. Any thoughts? BR, Radko...
  9. Bandwith

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bandwith: My Windows 10 has a problem, The Bandwith is not detected because of a missing API. Can someone please help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bandwith/ca553fc6-aa9e-4e1c-9cd7-d54610be40d1
  10. Browser Huge use of Bandwith

in Browsers and Email
    Browser Huge use of Bandwith: Hello all, I'm a web developer, and lately I've noticed that while developing on an online server, with Apache blocking all IP's besides my network to access it, I'm using huge amounts of bandwith. In order to monitor my bandwith usage, i've used NetLimiter and Netbalancer....