Windows 10: Svchost.exe eating up bandwidth! (priority too high)

Discus and support Svchost.exe eating up bandwidth! (priority too high) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So sometimes when I notice my internet is ridiculously slow I check task manager and in the Performance tab it says my network usage is very high (in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by yogalD, Aug 2, 2016.

1. yogalD Win User

Svchost.exe eating up bandwidth! (priority too high)

So sometimes when I notice my internet is ridiculously slow I check task manager and in the Performance tab it says my network usage is very high (in terms of my internet speed) even when I'm not doing anything. If I go into the processes tab and sort by network usage everything is ~0 Mbps.
    Good thing is my motherboard LAN driver comes with the Killer Network Manager. Using this utility it shows me that Host Process for Windows Services (svchost.exe) is using up all my internet bandwidth. So it must be because of Windows Update or something else.

Fair enough, but why is it taking bandwidth priority over everything else? It's basically impossible to use the internet while Windows Update (or whatever else it is) is running, and it's even more ridiculous that Windows is hiding its network usage from Task Manager. I don't understand why in Windows 10, svchost gets priority over everything else, when Windows 7 actually allowed other applications to share the bandwidth with Windows Update. Even setting the priority to "low" in the Killer Network Manager does nothing to help, I have to manually limit its allowed bandwidth, which is not ideal because Windows Update should be running at full speed if nothing else is requiring internet.

Is there anything I can do other than having to keep monitoring and manually adjusting svchost's bandwidth allowance? Because it's plainly ridiculous that I have to even be asking this question.

:)

yogalD, Aug 2, 2016
  2. EnochC Win User

windows store svchost.exe

Cool. in that case, what would you suggest to someone with slow enough internet that svchost.exe is almost always eating up the bandwidth?

thanks

EnochC, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Svchost.exe have been consuming data on Windows 10.

Original Title: Svchost.exe have been eating my bandwidth ? downloading ?

Svchost.exe have been eating my bandwidth ? Its been 5 hours and 868MB until now. Is this normal windows update ? I am on Windows 10 Build 14393.10. I just updated to Anniversary update.

Dencel K Babu, Aug 2, 2016
  4. yogalD Win User

It's not a CPU/memory usage issue, it's a bandwidth priority issue. I want Windows to auto-update, just let the web browsers have higher priority than Windows Update. Those "fixes" disable automatic updates.

yogalD, Aug 9, 2016
  5. yogalD Win User
    That only applies to CPU priority

yogalD, Aug 9, 2016
  6. yogalD Win User
    yogalD, Aug 9, 2016
  7. Svchost.exe eating up bandwidth! (priority too high)

Used to work on old xp machines .. please check if following fix is still available for Windows 10
    Increase Internet Speed by 20% | Internet

reservable bandwidth is the one reserved for internal operational of windows such as location and windows updates.

manish9009, Aug 10, 2016
  8. yogalD Win User
    Thanks, I'll try it out and see if it works.
    Although why should I have to do this when Windows 7 handled bandwidth just fine? Also, rather strange that it's only 20% by default in Windows XP but 80% in Windows 10.

Edit: after further reading it appears that this setting applies to any program reserving bandwidth - so if I have something higher priority like a videoconference that needs more bandwidth it will only be able to reserve a low amount of bandwidth, which would negatively affect its performance. So this solution is not really acceptable - the problem here is Windows Update reserving bandwidth when in reality its priority should be lower than applications the user is running.

yogalD, Aug 10, 2016
  9. yogalD Win User
    Bump

Also I noticed that in Task Manager, on a virtual machine, I can see how much bandwidth svchost.exe is taking. But on my real PC, it shows 0 Mbps. For whatever reason, on my main PC, Task Manager is hiding the bandwidth usage of svchost from me... but not on a virtual machine.

And I know I've said it before but it's just ridiculous that I have to limit and micromanage svchost's bandwidth usage myself when Windows should be doing it, even more so that no one has even acknowledged the problem exists.

yogalD, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Svchost.exe eating up bandwidth! (priority too high) - Similar Threads - Svchost exe eating

2. Windows processes eats up all my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows processes eats up all my bandwidth: I've been noticing that a windows process keeps eating my bandwidth. It's interrupting my online activities as it keeps all the bandwidth to itself. I've already set delivery optimization to a minimum and my internet is not that really great. I barely even get to 1mbps. What...
  3. Windows processes eats up all my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows processes eats up all my bandwidth: I've been noticing that a windows process keeps eating my bandwidth. It's interrupting my online activities as it keeps all the bandwidth to itself. I've already set delivery optimization to a minimum and my internet is not that really great. I barely even get to 1mbps. What...
  4. Windows processes eats up all my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Searchapp.exe eating bandwidth

Searchapp.exe eating bandwidth: Hi,I have an issue where when gaming I get Ping spikes looks like bandwidth usage, when I check task manager it doesn't show anything in particular but in resource monitor in the network view I have several instances of searchapp.exe running and using up the bandwidth. When...
  6. High Ram usage and too many Svchost process

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High Ram usage and too many Svchost process: My Pc was running Slow so i checked all applications from task manager and i found around 92 svchost processes and RAM usage above 80% and no apps were using the RAM. Please tell me a solution of this problem.[ATTACH]...
  7. MpCmdRun.exe High Bandwidth

MpCmdRun.exe High Bandwidth: Can anyone help me with the problem of MpCmdRun.exe using almost all bandwidth to the point of stopping all other connections? Matt 117007
  8. svchost high usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    svchost high usage: I have a HP-omen 17. Recently I have been observing high cpu usage under the name of one/two unnamed process related to svchost.exe. The problem started recently with sudden high usage of cpu during pc start up. These process have to be terminated each time individually. The...
  9. Microsoft is eating all of my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft is eating all of my bandwidth: I have limited (3Mbps) bandwidth and most of the time my PC is asleep. And when I go to use it I can wait 10 to 20 minutes for it to download who-knows-what. So it's unusable for anything over the internet during that time. I have Windows 10 Professional and have used the...
  10. SVCHOST eating up memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SVCHOST eating up memory: What services of svchost should I disable? I think it's eating up my memory. I think if the computer has 2GB RAM, it should have only like 30-40% usage but I have 63% [img] [img] 31580
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bandwidth svchost.exe (networkservice p)

2. svchost.exe (NetworkService p) eating up bandwidth