Windows 10: Svchost.exe - "This overrun could potentially allow a malicious..."

Discus and support Svchost.exe - "This overrun could potentially allow a malicious..." in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all! Basically, whenever I shutdown my pc I get this little window popup seconds before it shutsdown saying. "svchost.exe The system detected an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vellaura, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Vellaura Win User

Svchost.exe - "This overrun could potentially allow a malicious..."

Hey all!

Basically, whenever I shutdown my pc I get this little window popup seconds before it shutsdown saying.

"svchost.exe The system detected an overrun of a stack based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of the application."

Naturally I freaked out a bit, so I've already done all the scans from windows offline scanner to kaspersky scanner and even malwarebytes scanner, so I dont think its a virus. Upon research it seems to be a regedit issue but I wanted to ask the professionals before I went ahead with any random advice online.

I've already ran SFC and DISM and they've been fine, I also just installed the latest windows updates.

I'm curious as to what caused this issue, is it something related to windows?

Thank you =]

Windows version 1909

:)

Vellaura, Oct 14, 2020
  2. Neil23 Win User

Help with this? 'The system detected an overrun of a stack-based...'

On a Windows 10 desktop today there was this error message...

“The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this application“

Any suggestion as to what the problem is and how to rectify the problem?

Neil23, Oct 14, 2020
  3. SIHOST buffer overrun error

I am encountering the following popup error message when I try to restart my system in Safe Mode:

Sihost.exe – System error – The system detected an overrun of a stack based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of the application.

This happens as I press the '4' option from the Restart Menu options screen.

There is a 'Close' button on the message popup screen which does not work - the message is simply regenerated.

After a few tries at closing the message the system does go into Safe Mode.

Apart from this, I have experienced no problems running in normal mode, but my Antivirus software (ESET NOD32) is unable to run properly. I am concerned that there may be a compromise somewhere in the system.

I have run SFC without any issues - Also DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. All report no problems.

Can you advise next steps?

Beevreeter, Oct 14, 2020
  4. LKX7ADHD Win User

UltraUxThemePatcher - Recover From Black/Grey Screen - Windows 8 / 10

Hi, so I followed the first 2 steps, successfully deleted and replaced the corrupted .theme file with aero.theme, and deleted the file associated with the corrupted theme. I started in safe mode and disabled fast startup, and managed to start it successfully. But when I tried to access the theme settings it prompted me this message:
    The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this application.

Is there any way to overcome this problem?

LKX7ADHD, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Svchost.exe - "This overrun could potentially allow a malicious..." - Similar Threads - Svchost exe overrun

2. i just allowed a potentially malicious app through my firewall, what should i do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    i just allowed a potentially malicious app through my firewall, what should i do?: I just allowed an app that I think might be malicious through Windows Firewall, it was a complete oversight I just kind of pressed the allow button with zero thought. I've already removed all iterations of the app from the firewall using the allow an app through windows...
  3. Potential malicious activity

Potential malicious activity: Hello All,First post on here, thanks in advance for your help.I have identified some activity on my PC which I am suspicious of. It came to my attention when a pop up window started showing up and replicating itself every few minutes, first image below. In short it is telling...
  4. preliminary scan results show that there might be malicious or potentially unwanted...

preliminary scan results show that there might be malicious or potentially unwanted...: during windows defender offline scan, there is something at the bottom that says "preliminary scan results show that there might be malicious or potentially unwanted software on your system". should i be worried?...
  5. BSOD - ERROR_CODE: NTSTATUS 0xc0000409 - The system detected an overrun This overrun could...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - ERROR_CODE: NTSTATUS 0xc0000409 - The system detected an overrun This overrun could...: Hello everyone,I got a series of BSODs in the last few days, I tried to investigate the potential reason but couldn't find anything.I got a MEMDMP which I'll link here to see if anyone might be able to redirect me towards the right solution to this issue.Thank you all for...
  6. BSOD - ERROR_CODE: NTSTATUS 0xc0000409 - The system detected an overrun This overrun could...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD - ERROR_CODE: NTSTATUS 0xc0000409 - The system detected an overrun This overrun could...: Hello everyone,I got a series of BSODs in the last few days, I tried to investigate the potential reason but couldn't find anything.I got a MEMDMP which I'll link here to see if anyone might be able to redirect me towards the right solution to this issue.Thank you all for...
  7. BSOD - ERROR_CODE: NTSTATUS 0xc0000409 - The system detected an overrun This overrun could...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. HELP! The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer, This overrun could...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP! The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer, This overrun could...: PLEASE help. I’m very paranoid submitted by /u/iiwatermelonboy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hmd5yf/help_the_system_detected_an_overrun_of_a/
  9. Svchost Error: System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Svchost Error: System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application.: I was on my laptop and got this error while browsing Chrome. I ran a malware scan but it didn’t find anything. I’m running Win10 os and will post more info if needed. Should I be worried? submitted by /u/RexTerm [link] [comments]...
  10. svchost

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    svchost: An aplication in the path C:\Windows\syswow\ is running in the background and it consumes 60% of my cpu how to i stop it? I think it as something about Net Framework our something like that but im not sure. My Windows version is 1607...