Windows 10: Svchost strange connections - Remote Desktop Services

Discus and support Svchost strange connections - Remote Desktop Services in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Every once in a while I check my basic w10 resource monitor to see if I spot something out of the ordinary. Today I saw some connections to some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kalechii, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Svchost strange connections - Remote Desktop Services

Every once in a while I check my basic w10 resource monitor to see if I spot something out of the ordinary.

Today I saw some connections to some strange domains (mail.dopinghosting.com, customer-GDL-MCA-68-174.megared.net.mx) and found out through Process Explorer that these were all towards the Remote Desktop Services.

Needless to say this freaks me out a little, since I use Remote desktop all the time.

I'm aware that Windows' svchost.exe often shows a lot of CDN connections.

Since I'm familiar with the phone home features of the apps I use i.e. Google apps for business, Dropbox, Adobe Creative cloud etc, I'm usually not too woried about svchost sessions. However this one weirds me out.

How secure is Windows Remote Desktop Services and should I be using it instead of a third party tool?

Also how worried should I be of such connections (which are most likely automated login attempts). Can the RDS be misused to unknowingly capture screens and input?

Anyway, I disabled the service for now. Help appreciated... Thanks!

submitted by /u/kalechii
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kalechii, Mar 14, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

3. Remote Desktop

Okay guys need some help here before going crazy...
    I am trying to setup a remote desktop connection and see exactly what the logged on user is looking at with out going through Windows Remote Desktop.

Since its local network I don't have any password or want to setup a password.

Any suggestions are appreciated

kikicoco1334, Mar 14, 2020
  4. Svchost strange connections - Remote Desktop Services

What does the svchost do?

Lots of Windows services are tied to the SVChost, and /or are listed as SVChost in the process list(s).

Unfortunatley with Vista, there's a lot more dependencies between the services, and thus you'll be FORCED to run more instances of SVChosts; unlike XP where things were more independent and you could disable more features resulting in less SVChost instances. That and XP and Vista are different.

Regardless of your Windows version, you can check out some service slimming guides or goto Black Viper's website and take his advice. Depending on your needs you may be able to cut down the amount of SVChost running, and save some RAM.

XP should never have an SVChost using 50mb. Vista however can.

newconroer, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

Svchost strange connections - Remote Desktop Services

1. Svchost strange connections - Remote Desktop Services - Similar Threads - Svchost strange connections

2. Can’t connect to Remote Desktop Configuration service?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can’t connect to Remote Desktop Configuration service?: My laptop has been doing this for the past few days. I looked into what it meant but I haven’t been able to find great answers. The screen looks like this:I’m not a really techy person so I have no idea what it means. I would really appreciate if someone could help or has any...
  3. Can’t connect to Remote Desktop Configuration service?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t connect to Remote Desktop Configuration service?: My laptop has been doing this for the past few days. I looked into what it meant but I haven’t been able to find great answers. The screen looks like this:I’m not a really techy person so I have no idea what it means. I would really appreciate if someone could help or has any...
  4. Can’t connect to Remote Desktop Configuration service?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Remote Desktop Service

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop Service: [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-service-%EC%8B%9C%EC%9E%91%EC%9D%B4/2413d62f-1d3a-409f-840d-a0e91aabc78a
  6. Connect with Remote Desktop Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connect with Remote Desktop Connection: "CredSSP encryption oracle remediation" error when you try to RDP to a Windows VM in Azure https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4295591/credssp-encryption-oracle-remediation-error-when-to-rdp-to-azure-vm An authentication error has occurred. The function requested is...
  7. Remote Desktop Connection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remote Desktop Connection: When I try to connect to a remote server, the RDC doesn't display the existing session. Instead it opens a new session. How do I make it to display the sessions that already exist on the server?...
  8. Remote Desktop Connection

Remote Desktop Connection: If remote computer has user password all works well,but if no user password can't log on. In windows 7 this was not a problem,is there a work around so if two windows10 computers have no user passwords you can connect?. This is on a private home network. Don't want to use...
  9. Remote Desktop Connection to System 7 Pro strange problem

Remote Desktop Connection to System 7 Pro strange problem: Strange problem... 3 computers networked: a desktop PC [Asus M32BF - Windows 10 Home], a laptop [Lenovo B575 - System 7.0 Pro] and a trusty old desktop PC [Dell-D3000 - Windows XP Pro] running as a file server/backup. Using Remote Desktop Connection, I can connect from all...
  10. Remote Desktop Connection

Remote Desktop Connection: Will Microsoft ever give us a option to log onto another home network computer without it having a password? Seems like if on a home network we should be able to do it,just give us a option Please. Remote Desktop Connection works well if password is on the remote...