Windows 10: Swap a partition icon for an appropriate one

Discus and support Swap a partition icon for an appropriate one in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A HDD with four partitions, shows in File Explorer THIS PC, with a CD icon for the 3rd partition.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JosephPHILIPPA, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Swap a partition icon for an appropriate one

A HDD with four partitions, shows in File Explorer THIS PC, with a CD icon for the 3rd partition. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons has no entries other than DEFAULT. I could find no other Registry key for DriveIcons. How can I get that to be the same icon as for the other three partitions ?

:)

JosephPHILIPPA, Jan 16, 2020

2. Windows 10 SWAP partition

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that Windows 10 has a swap partition of 450MB. I just wanna know that is it similar to Linux or Ubuntu SWAP space or different. I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks,

Syed.

syed ahmedshah, Jan 16, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Swap a partition icon for an appropriate one

Icons swapping

Hi SamnWS,

A corrupted icon cache is possibly causing the issue. To help you resolve the issue, I advise resetting the icon cache of your Windows 10 system using an elevated
    Command Prompt. Make sure that you're signed in as the administrator before performing the steps below. Also, please take note that you may need to change the icons again of your personal shortcuts.

1. Close all running programs on your desktop.
    2. Click the Start button and then type Command
      Prompt.
    3. Right-click Command Prompt and then choose
      Run as administrator
    4. If prompted, select Yes or enter the administrator password.
    5. Type or copy/paste the command below to navigate to the icon cache location and then press
      Enter.
      • cd %homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    6. Type the command below and then hit Enter.
      • taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
        • This command will terminate the File Explorer process. Your desktop background and taskbar will disappear. This is only temporarily. We need to close the
          File Explorer process in order to delete the icon cache files.
    7. Type del iconcache* and then press Enter.
    8. Type explorer.exe and then hit Enter.
      • This will relaunch the File Explorer process.
    9. Close Command Prompt and then restart your PC.

Swap  a partition icon for an appropriate one bb6defbb-08e0-4cd2-81e2-6c4f04c23693?upload=true.jpg

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Devlin Sco, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Swap a partition icon for an appropriate one

1. Swap a partition icon for an appropriate one - Similar Threads - Swap partition icon

2. remove one partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove one partition: currently Windows 10 installed; trying to convert mbr to uefi to install dual boot with Zorin 17. Got 4 partitions but should be no more than 3 . How can this be done, possibly free?......
  3. remove one partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    remove one partition: currently Windows 10 installed; trying to convert mbr to uefi to install dual boot with Zorin 17. Got 4 partitions but should be no more than 3 . How can this be done, possibly free?......
  4. remove one partition

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Identifying the appropriate thumb/icon cache file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Identifying the appropriate thumb/icon cache file: Desktop shortcuts to folders that temporarily hold video files, keep parts of the video file thumbnails in their icons after the video files have been removed. One of the ways of correcting that, is to delete the contents of...
  6. How do I swap icons for OneNote?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I swap icons for OneNote?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Joshmi3 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f5jlt7/how_do_i_swap_icons_for_onenote/
  7. Windows 10 Desktop Icons Swapping Screens

Windows 10 Desktop Icons Swapping Screens: I'm having issues with some of my users icons swapping from one screen to another when the log on to a different computer on our network. We are running dual screens for all users, they have desktop icons and shortcuts that they have specifically on the right or the left...
  8. Icons swapping

Icons swapping: I was changing some icons (I've already done it before), when I noticed that the majority of the modifies I made didn't affect the shortcuts at all, even after a few days. The "Properties" window showed me the icon I wanted, but the file in the folder didn't. Then, while I...
  9. 0xc0000225 After partition merge, letters swapped?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    0xc0000225 After partition merge, letters swapped?: After using the EASEUS boot manager to merge some unused partitions of the same disk to my C: drive, Windows reboots an I receive the 0xc0000225 error. I then booted Windows recovery from an USB and went into the CMD. I went on DiskPart and found that the drive letters for...
  10. What is the swap partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the swap partition?: When installing Windows 10, 8 or 7 they say that they will create a swap partition. What does this partition exactly? I would think that it is like the page file, a space that Windows uses when he runs out of RAM, but Windows also creates automatically the page file so...