Windows 10: Swap drives between two identical laptops - Windows 10 activation

Discus and support Swap drives between two identical laptops - Windows 10 activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have two identical laptops with Windows 10 Home OEM licenses (HP Spectre laptops), one mine and one of my partner. Due to a hardware issue with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MephistoCR17, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Swap drives between two identical laptops - Windows 10 activation

I have two identical laptops with Windows 10 Home OEM licenses (HP Spectre laptops), one mine and one of my partner. Due to a hardware issue with the thunderbolt port in one of them I want to swap the hard drives so I can use my partner's instead. However I am not sure on how to proceed to maintain the Windows 10 licenses active:

Each laptop has a single user with a Microsoft's account (via email), so the license is registered to an user in each laptop. I would like to swap the drives to avoid having to migrate the data and reinstall programs. Being identical the drivers should not be a problem.

So the question is: how do I re-active Windows 10 after swapping drives since the activation key though linked to an user and will never be active in more than one machine at a time will not correspond to the current hardware and on top of that the license being OEM? Could it work since both machines are the exact same model from the same manufacturer?

Thanks!

:)

MephistoCR17, Nov 8, 2019
  2. Pikime Win User

Swapping HDD's between identical laptops.

Me and my partner both received identical laptops from our university as part of a scholarship. However she didn't use hers much as she bought a different, nicer laptop. Now after a few years my laptop stopped working and was out of warranty. She said
    I could have her old one and thinking that they were Identical I simply swapped the hard drives. However now windows is telling me it is no longer activated and I can't figure out how to activate it without purchasing a new copy of windows.

Pikime, Nov 8, 2019
  3. Can I swap SSDs between two identical laptops?

I have a user who damaged their display (dropped laptop in the airport).

I was wondering if it might be possible to swap the SSD drive from the damaged laptop to a different but identically configured laptop?

Both are ThinkPad T440s laptops configured the same and have licensed Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro) installed. I suspect the answer is no but it sure would be nice to be able to swap drives even if I have to reactivate the software on the
    new laptop. It would save several hours of transferring data...

If it is possible how would I go about re-activating the OS on the new laptop?

TIA,

Eric

EricChang6468, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Swap drives between two identical laptops - Windows 10 activation

Swap drive with Windows 10

Hi,

I had a laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10 on SSD drive. Since i have bought another Laptop that came with normal drive. I have Windows 10 installed on new laptop.

I want to swap SSD from old laptop to new laptop. Is it matter of just replacing the hardrives?

If I do swap the drive it will have Windows that was activated on older laptop. I have product stickers on both laptop however both were upgraded from windows 7 Home Edition.

Please suggest best way of doing this?

ronaldo9r9, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Swap drives between two identical laptops - Windows 10 activation

1. Swap drives between two identical laptops - Windows 10 activation - Similar Threads - Swap drives between

2. Swap windows HDD between laptops.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swap windows HDD between laptops.: Me and my friend wish to swap our laptops. One is HP and other is Dell. Both had OEM windows and office. will it work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-windows-hdd-between-laptops/bdcf0804-eb70-4a62-8b88-f3784cf2c49e
  3. Swap OEM OS drive between two computers.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swap OEM OS drive between two computers.: So I have a PC running OEM win10. I finally want to upgrade to another PC that also has OEM win10. Can I just swap my OS drive? I basically want to upgrade my motherboard and not having to reinstall everything. Thanks....
  4. Swapping activations between computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  5. Swapping activations between computers

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  6. Swap Licences between two Windows 10 computers

Swap Licences between two Windows 10 computers: Hello, I am looking to swap the licences on my laptop and desktop. Here are the current configurations: Desktop Originally came with Windows Vista Purchased & installed Windows 7 Home via 32bit DVD upgraded through Microsoft free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Laptop...
  7. Swapping hard drives between two computers

Swapping hard drives between two computers: Hello. I have two desktop computers. Both running Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap the hard drives between the computers. Reinstalling windows on my main computer is not an option (do not ask, just take my word for it). As I have two computers, two licenses and the...
  8. Swapping Windows licenses between two computers

Swapping Windows licenses between two computers: I know something like this has been asked before but my question is ever so slightly different First computer AMD desktop, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate original promotional DVD given by Microsoft, I was actually given 5 of these for various project...
  9. swap HDD between two identical machines

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    swap HDD between two identical machines: Are there any concerns swapping two SSD's running Win10 between two identical HP 840 laptops? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-hdd-between-two-identical-machines/6148ce6e-409c-4261-b9c3-e8ed694638de
  10. Swapping Disks Between Two Computers

Swapping Disks Between Two Computers: For various weird reasons I have the need to swap the hard drives (SSD) between two similar Thinkpads. They are architecturally similar so I'm reasonably sure that after a few routine automatic driver updates both will run fine. Of course, at that point both will...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Can I swap SSDs between two identical Windows 10 laptops

2. activer internet explorer w10 1909