Windows 10: Swap file, page file privacy.

Discus and support Swap file, page file privacy. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Does swapfile.sys and pagefile.sys has any privacy issue ??? Does it store or replace any private file ??... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Tril645, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Tril645 Win User

Swap file, page file privacy.

Does swapfile.sys and pagefile.sys has any privacy issue ???

Does it store or replace any private file ??

:)

Tril645, Jul 31, 2019
  2. psyko12 Win User

Page File

Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

psyko12, Jul 31, 2019
  3. jt12345 Win User
    page/swap file size and location for 2-3 hard drives

Most recommend putting the page file on a seperate hard drive from Windows. So that one hard drive is reading and another hard drive is writting.

MS recommends page file sizes of a Min 1.5X to a Max 3X system RAM. But they also say to have a page file on your OS drive for errors. That Windows will choose the Page file on the drive that Windows is not on.

So my setups currently are:

With 2 hard drives...
    --Windows/games/programs on 1st hard drive
    --Page File on 2nd hard drive (2 times the size of system ram@2gb, so 2048X2=4096 page file size)

With 3 hard drives...
    --Windows on 1st hard drive
    --Games/programs on 2nd hard drive
    --Page file on 3rd hard drive (2 times the size of system ram@2gb, so 2048X2=4096mb page file size)

How are these configurations?

Does the maximum page/swap file size of 3X system ram apply to a single hard drive or all hard drives with swap files on the system total.

Ie. can i put from example above a swap file on my system drive 4096mb and another page file on other drives of 4096mb each for a total of 2 page files or 4096X2 that is greater than the 3x system ram??

thanks

jt12345, Jul 31, 2019
  4. Geosammy Win User

Page and Swap File?

I've set the Page File for my C: drive to No Page File and my D: to System Managed.
    Doing this places the Page File on my D: drive,
    which is the faster of the 2 drives.

Swap file, page file privacy. [​IMG]

The question is,
    should I still have a Swap File on my C: drive and also one on my D: drive?

Here's a screenshot of the C: drive.
    Notice the Swap File and no Page File.

Here's a screenshot of the D: drive.
    Make note of the Page File and also the Swap File.

I was under the impression,
    that if I disable the Page Files on a specific drive,
    that both Page and Swap Files shouldn't be present on this drive?
    Is it normal to have 2 Swap Files of the same size on different drives?

Geosammy, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Swap file, page file privacy. - Similar Threads - Swap file page

2. Files lost after swapping to a drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files lost after swapping to a drive.: Recently I was working on a project which was contained within a folder. I was running low on space on C: so I moved the folder over to my flashdrive E:. After moving the folder over to my flashdrive however, the folder is empty. I searched for some of the contents using the...
  3. can Windows.old files be swapped?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can Windows.old files be swapped?: I still have a Windows.old file from a previous upgrade from 1909 to 2004. I have renamed it so it can't be auto-deleted. I have also extended the expiry out to the max 60 days, so it is not expired yet anyway. But if I try a repair-install, then that procedure will create a...
  4. Desktop swapped with user file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop swapped with user file: Hello, This is really weird but my desktop used to be on my D: drive because why not. I wanted to change it back into my C: drive because i wanted all my windows files on C and everything else on D so when i moved the desktop file into the user folder it for some reason...
  5. Optimal setting for swap file question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Optimal setting for swap file question: hi guys, I have 16 GB ram quite fast that i bought recently and i was wondering what's a good setting for pagefile setting. currently i have, custom size: Intial 8000 mb Max size 12000 mb and it seems to be going very well, just knocked down the comp with a heavy SEO app,...
  6. A swap file question

A swap file question: Hello from my research and past experience, I have been led to believe that 1-the swop file should be 1.5 x RAM 2-It should not be on multiple drives 3-C drive swap file holds crash dump files, so not sure if that should have a swap file as well as another HDD however now I...
  7. Paging File

in Windows 10 Customization
    Paging File: Hi I am running windows 10 pro with 12GB of RAM. What is the best setting to use on the paging file to get the best proformance and how can I calculate it in case I increase the memory?...
  8. Paging files or not?

Paging files or not?: Hi! I currently have a laptop with a PCIe SSD, 16GB RAM DDR4 and an HDD mainly for games and storage. In terms of paging I have system-managed size paging files for the SSD and for both partitions of the HDD. Would I experience any improvements in performance by not...
  9. change swap file size ?

change swap file size ?: I am running rainmeter and it shows my desktop has 48-49% ram usage and 49% swap file usage. I currently have 4 gigs of ram, room to put 4 gigs more for a max of 8 gigs. Isn't that too much swap file usage ? I have tried to find in the tutorials, and on my computer,...
  10. Page and Swap File?

Page and Swap File?: I've set the Page File for my C: drive to No Page File and my D: to System Managed. Doing this places the Page File on my D: drive, which is the faster of the 2 drives. [img] The question is, should I still have a Swap File on my C: drive and also one on my D:...