Windows 10: swap HDD between two identical machines

Discus and support swap HDD between two identical machines in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Are there any concerns swapping two SSD's running Win10 between two identical HP 840 laptops?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cmbdiesel, Nov 21, 2018.

1. cmbdiesel Win User

swap HDD between two identical machines

Are there any concerns swapping two SSD's running Win10 between two identical HP 840 laptops?

:)

cmbdiesel, Nov 21, 2018
  2. Pikime Win User

Swapping HDD's between identical laptops.

Me and my partner both received identical laptops from our university as part of a scholarship. However she didn't use hers much as she bought a different, nicer laptop. Now after a few years my laptop stopped working and was out of warranty. She said
    I could have her old one and thinking that they were Identical I simply swapped the hard drives. However now windows is telling me it is no longer activated and I can't figure out how to activate it without purchasing a new copy of windows.

Pikime, Nov 21, 2018
  3. Swap HDD between PCs with Win10

Hi,

I just bought a ASUG G20 gaming PC that comes with a 1TB HDD and a OEM Win10 installed with a digital key. I have a custom built Win10 PC with a 500GB SSD and a Win10 digital license (from a Win8 upgrade) linked to my account.

Can I from a Win10 license point-of-view simply swap the HDD over and expect the licenses to function correctly?

My worry is that the OEM license will not work on my custom built PC and that I cannot swap the licenses "around" - any suggestions on how this functions?

Regards

Jeppe

Jeppe Funk, Nov 21, 2018
  4. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Nov 21, 2018
Thema:

1. swap HDD between two identical machines - Similar Threads - swap HDD between

2. Swap windows HDD between laptops.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swap windows HDD between laptops.: Me and my friend wish to swap our laptops. One is HP and other is Dell. Both had OEM windows and office. will it work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-windows-hdd-between-laptops/bdcf0804-eb70-4a62-8b88-f3784cf2c49e
  3. Swap windows HDD between laptops.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swap windows HDD between laptops.: Me and my friend wish to swap our laptops. One is HP and other is Dell. Both had OEM windows and office. will it work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-windows-hdd-between-laptops/bdcf0804-eb70-4a62-8b88-f3784cf2c49e
  4. A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops: So, i created another question thread as it was solved previously https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-no-longer-bootable-on-ssd/263bd87e-0bfb-4d58-8e9e-e7d539b6e539?messageId=23142eb3-8cdf-41a6-9406-c8d50a8fdea1 The...
  5. Digital licence swap between two devices?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital licence swap between two devices?: Hello! I have two digital licences Windows 10 Home and Pro retail licence linked to my Microsoft account, both of them in use. On my desktop computer runs the Pro version and on my laptop that I mostly use in a different city, where my University is, since my desktop...
  6. Swap drives between two identical laptops - Windows 10 activation

Swap drives between two identical laptops - Windows 10 activation: I have two identical laptops with Windows 10 Home OEM licenses (HP Spectre laptops), one mine and one of my partner. Due to a hardware issue with the thunderbolt port in one of them I want to swap the hard drives so I can use my partner's instead. However I am not sure on how...
  7. Swap Licences between two Windows 10 computers

Swap Licences between two Windows 10 computers: Hello, I am looking to swap the licences on my laptop and desktop. Here are the current configurations: Desktop Originally came with Windows Vista Purchased & installed Windows 7 Home via 32bit DVD upgraded through Microsoft free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Laptop...
  8. Swapping hard drives between two computers

Swapping hard drives between two computers: Hello. I have two desktop computers. Both running Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap the hard drives between the computers. Reinstalling windows on my main computer is not an option (do not ask, just take my word for it). As I have two computers, two licenses and the...
  9. Swapping Windows licenses between two computers

Swapping Windows licenses between two computers: I know something like this has been asked before but my question is ever so slightly different First computer AMD desktop, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate original promotional DVD given by Microsoft, I was actually given 5 of these for various project...
  10. Swapping Disks Between Two Computers

Swapping Disks Between Two Computers: For various weird reasons I have the need to swap the hard drives (SSD) between two similar Thinkpads. They are architecturally similar so I'm reasonably sure that after a few routine automatic driver updates both will run fine. Of course, at that point both will...