Windows 10: Swap mobo without re-install

Discus and support Swap mobo without re-install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently, I had a 2600K pc die on me and I swapped out the innards (motherboard, cpu and RAM) from a 4770K box without re-installing Windows 10 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by badcrc, Jul 17, 2019.

1. badcrc Win User

Swap mobo without re-install

I recently, I had a 2600K pc die on me and I swapped out the innards (motherboard, cpu and RAM) from a 4770K box without re-installing Windows 10 and all my software. I'd read here that it was possible, and was surprised how easy it was. I just got a message about getting devices ready and that was it.

So my question is - do you think this would work going from Intel 4770K to AMD Ryzen ? I'm guessing the hardware would be too different to even boot. Any thoughts on this ?

:)

badcrc, Jul 17, 2019
  2. Hollywood Win User

Mobo installation tutorials?

Looking for a link or direction to a basic Mobo removal AND installation guide.

Would like it to include pre removal /installation check list and materials/tool list.

Will be also interested in an aftermarket power supply unit swap guide.

Thanks

Hollywood, Jul 17, 2019
  3. ozshadow Win User
    Dirty installation (repair) after Mobo change ?

I know a clean installation is always preferred and I may have Windows licensing issues after changing hardware (I will buy a new license if I have to).

That being said, I have a relatively new Win 10 64 bit system (from upgrade) and I do not want to completely re-do the installation of literally everything I have again.

Can I either pre-install motherboard drivers before changing the mobo or do a dirty installation repair after changing the motherboard?

Does anyone have a step by step guide?

I have done this with older versions that worked perfectly, but it has been a while.

I plan to change from an i5-750 to an i7-4790k. The mobo and CPU will be swapped of course.

ozshadow, Jul 17, 2019
  4. Swap mobo without re-install

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

Swap mobo without re-install

1. Swap mobo without re-install - Similar Threads - Swap mobo without

2. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO: How to I reactivate my windows key after swapping Motherboards? I followed all the troubleshooting steps with no resolution to issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-activation-windows-after-swapping-mobo/b0d620a3-a9a0-47ec-9079-ce06875ad54b
  3. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO: How to I reactivate my windows key after swapping Motherboards? I followed all the troubleshooting steps with no resolution to issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-activation-windows-after-swapping-mobo/b0d620a3-a9a0-47ec-9079-ce06875ad54b
  4. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Swapped Mobo and CPU due to failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swapped Mobo and CPU due to failure: Swapped Mobo and CPU due to failure, now i cant get my windows to activate. the trouble shooter is no help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapped-mobo-and-cpu-due-to-failure/f87303da-d57c-45ec-a972-09e770dfd563
  6. Swapped Mobo and CPU due to failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swapped Mobo and CPU due to failure: Swapped Mobo and CPU due to failure, now i cant get my windows to activate. the trouble shooter is no help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapped-mobo-and-cpu-due-to-failure/f87303da-d57c-45ec-a972-09e770dfd563
  7. Swapped Mobo and CPU due to failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  8. Re-installing Windows after Motherboard Swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-installing Windows after Motherboard Swap: I recently swapped out my motherboard to a new one and tried to boot up using a windows USB drive. Windows was already loaded on my hard drive and was active prior to changing motherboards. After switching out motherboards and booting from the UDB drive I would receive the...
  9. Swap DVD for SSD on older Mobos

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Swap DVD for SSD on older Mobos: Hi folks these days who really needs a DVD burner any more --if you really do need one then cheap external USB devices are available So on Older Mobos you can use that DVD slot for a bootable SSD. 1) connect the DVD power adapter to a SATA power connector -- adapters are...
  10. Swapping MoBo and CPU from Intel to AMD without reinstalling

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping MoBo and CPU from Intel to AMD without reinstalling: Hi, I'm swapping from Intel to AMD tomorrow, so drivers are gonna be very borked. Do I need to reinstall fresh, or can I just swap the hard drive and reboot, letting win update fix it and manually uninstalling old drivers? (my licence is linked to my account already) If I...