Windows 10: Swap OEM OS drive between two computers.

Discus and support Swap OEM OS drive between two computers. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have a PC running OEM win10. I finally want to upgrade to another PC that also has OEM win10. Can I just swap my OS drive? I basically want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by aegistemp, Apr 20, 2021.

1. aegistemp Win User

Swap OEM OS drive between two computers.

So I have a PC running OEM win10. I finally want to upgrade to another PC that also has OEM win10. Can I just swap my OS drive?

I basically want to upgrade my motherboard and not having to reinstall everything.

Thanks.

:)

aegistemp, Apr 20, 2021

2. Swapping hard drives between two computers

Hi ugli,

You may swap hard drives with Windows if bot licenses were bought separately from computer. Likely you'll need to make phone activation after swap.

Preinstalled Windows are tied to computer so if at least one Windows is preinstalled (OEM) you need to swap just hard drives not Windows copies to be fully legal . So make a backup copy on each computer and restore them after disk swapping.

Igor Leyko, Apr 20, 2021
  3. little cat, Apr 20, 2021
  4. Athlonite Win User

Western Digital No Longer Honoring Warranties on OEM or Bare Drives.

Difference between WD OEM vs. Retail (RTL) drives
    Answer ID 1352 | Last Updated 04/28/2015
    Online Store sells both Retail and OEM packaged hard drives.

There are no physical or developmental differences between our Retail and OEM hard drives

Retail hard drives (Example: WD1200JBRTL) are sold in a retail package and may include the accessories below:

• Quick Installation Guide
    • Acronis Installation Software (must be downloaded)
    OEM or Original Equipment Manufacturer hard drives (Example: WD1200JB) are sold to OEM Computer manufacturers or Distributors in bulk packaging (bare drive only).

• OEM drives are sold without accessories or installation software.
    • OEM drives may not contain a warranty from Western Digital. When Western Digital sells hard drives to OEM computer manufacturers such as Dell, Compaq, Apple, etc, we sell these drives without warranty. The OEM computer manufacturer would include the hard drive under the warranty of the computer system that the hard drive was installed into. For more information about hard drive warranties, please see our Warranty Policy.
    If this is the case then OEM HDD's must be sold only to OEM's anything else must be sold as a retail HDD retail stores should be prohibited from purchasing in bulk those HDD's destined for OEM's and only be allowed to purchase and sell retail HDD's any supplier caught selling OEM HDD's to retail stores should be made to honor any warranty which WD themselves would be legally bound to honor on a same type retail HDD

Athlonite, Apr 20, 2021
Thema:

1. Swap OEM OS drive between two computers. - Similar Threads - Swap OEM drive

2. Swapping activations between computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  3. Swapping activations between computers

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  4. Need To Switch OS Drive Between Two Computers.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need To Switch OS Drive Between Two Computers.: Hello folks, I have two Windows 10 Pro computers I need to switch the OS drives. Because of the hardware restrictions, what would be the better way. I have backup images of both OS drives? I don't think I can just switch the drives; one drive is HHD and the other SSD. Thanks...
  5. Swap Licences between two Windows 10 computers

Swap Licences between two Windows 10 computers: Hello, I am looking to swap the licences on my laptop and desktop. Here are the current configurations: Desktop Originally came with Windows Vista Purchased & installed Windows 7 Home via 32bit DVD upgraded through Microsoft free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Laptop...
  6. How can I swap two digital licenses between two computers

How can I swap two digital licenses between two computers: Hello there, Currently I have two notebooks with two Retail digital licenses linked to my personal account: 1) Windows 10 Pro - on my old laptop, previously updated from the Windows 7 Pro (Product key still available, but I'm not sure is it can be used after upgrading to...
  7. Swapping hard drives between two computers

Swapping hard drives between two computers: Hello. I have two desktop computers. Both running Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap the hard drives between the computers. Reinstalling windows on my main computer is not an option (do not ask, just take my word for it). As I have two computers, two licenses and the...
  8. Swapping Windows licenses between two computers

Swapping Windows licenses between two computers: I know something like this has been asked before but my question is ever so slightly different First computer AMD desktop, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate original promotional DVD given by Microsoft, I was actually given 5 of these for various project...
  9. swap HDD between two identical machines

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    swap HDD between two identical machines: Are there any concerns swapping two SSD's running Win10 between two identical HP 840 laptops? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-hdd-between-two-identical-machines/6148ce6e-409c-4261-b9c3-e8ed694638de
  10. Swapping Disks Between Two Computers

Swapping Disks Between Two Computers: For various weird reasons I have the need to swap the hard drives (SSD) between two similar Thinkpads. They are architecturally similar so I'm reasonably sure that after a few routine automatic driver updates both will run fine. Of course, at that point both will...