Windows 10: swap sata drive between cloned windows 10: corrupt files ?

Discus and support swap sata drive between cloned windows 10: corrupt files ? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have two similar pc´s at different locations. I use one of those at a time. I cloned the windows 10 system drive of pc1 to pc2. All my work files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by gates_owns_a_lot_of_gates, Jun 29, 2020.

1. swap sata drive between cloned windows 10: corrupt files ?

I have two similar pc´s at different locations.

I use one of those at a time.
    I cloned the windows 10 system drive of pc1 to pc2.

All my work files are on a third ssd sata drive.
    When I work on pc1, i connect the drive and boot up the pc.
    When I travel to pc2, i "shut down" the pc and disconnect that drive to connect it to pc 2.

That worked well for some time but now...

Now I have the problem that some files are corrupted or even mixed up their contents are even mixed with contents of other files !!!
    One file fas filled with 0-bytes..

Some folders are not accessible access denied and some files when I try to open, It says "file does not exist do you want to create ?"

Is it possible that the usage on two cloned pc´s create these issues or am I having another problem?

:)

gates_owns_a_lot_of_gates, Jun 29, 2020

2. Windows 10 Hot Swap SATA dock

I just built a new PC with a Thermaltake Overseer RX-I case and an Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 motherboard.

I am running Windows 10 Pro.

I enabled AHCI for the Sata port that the dock built into the case is connected to. I also enabled hot swap for that Sata port only. I can boot up with a hard drive installed and it appears in my device list. I can insert the hard drive after boot up and
    it appears in my device list. But I have no way to "Eject" the Sata drive within Windows 10 because it does not show in the list of "Safely Remove Devices".

Previously I used Windows 7 on my old machine and a USB dock. The hard drive would be treated as a USB removable drive and be eligible for "Safely Eject".

What is needed to configure Windows or my Bios to allow for the Sata dock built into the case to be "hot swappable" and able to be safely removed without shutting down the PC?

Blackhawks2015, Jun 29, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Jun 29, 2020
  4. swap sata drive between cloned windows 10: corrupt files ?

Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

swap sata drive between cloned windows 10: corrupt files ?

1. swap sata drive between cloned windows 10: corrupt files ? - Similar Threads - swap sata drive

2. Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located atwindir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offlinerepairs, details are included in the log file...
  3. Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located atwindir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offlinerepairs, details are included in the log file...
  4. Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    swapping boot drives between PC's: I'm upgrading my PC and am changing from 8th gen intel to 13th gen, among other things, meaning I need to change my motherboard. Can I just take my boot drive nvme drive and chuck it in the new build or do I need to do something more complex? Will it require me to reactivate...
  6. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    swapping boot drives between PC's: I'm upgrading my PC and am changing from 8th gen intel to 13th gen, among other things, meaning I need to change my motherboard. Can I just take my boot drive nvme drive and chuck it in the new build or do I need to do something more complex? Will it require me to reactivate...
  7. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Swap drives between two identical laptops - Windows 10 activation

Swap drives between two identical laptops - Windows 10 activation: I have two identical laptops with Windows 10 Home OEM licenses (HP Spectre laptops), one mine and one of my partner. Due to a hardware issue with the thunderbolt port in one of them I want to swap the hard drives so I can use my partner's instead. However I am not sure on how...
  9. Swapping hard drives between two computers

Swapping hard drives between two computers: Hello. I have two desktop computers. Both running Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap the hard drives between the computers. Reinstalling windows on my main computer is not an option (do not ask, just take my word for it). As I have two computers, two licenses and the...
  10. Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters: I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning? My new computer (an ASUS) currently has Windows 8.1. I intend to upgrade to Windows 10 before I do anything more. I will move the old Windows...