Windows 10: Swap SSDs Between Old and New PC?

Discus and support Swap SSDs Between Old and New PC? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I currently have a PC with Windows 10 on a 1 TB SSD. I’m about to receive a new PC which has only a 500 GB SSD. Both my current PC and the new PC I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Parrothead1964, May 2, 2021.

1. Swap SSDs Between Old and New PC?

I currently have a PC with Windows 10 on a 1 TB SSD. I’m about to receive a new PC which has only a 500 GB SSD. Both my current PC and the new PC I am about to receive are/will be running Windows 10 which is loaded on their respective SSDs. What I want to do is swap the SSDs. I will keep both PCs, but I’d like to put my existing 1 TB SSD in the new PC and put the new 500 GB SSD in my current PC. Will this work? When I insert the SSDs in their new slots, will Windows boot up OK?To add to the fun, I have Flight Simulator 2020 on my existing PC’s SSD. That’s the primary reason I want to just

:)

Parrothead1964, May 2, 2021

2. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Hi,

I'm not using the SATA ports. I'm using M.2 with the SSD, and the external SSD is connected to my PC using USB. My MB only has only one M.2 socket, so I can only plug in one SSD at a time. (I bought a wrong adapter that doesn't work with NVMe) So I cloned
    my old SSD to an external SSD (Samsung M3 Portable SSD), and then swapped the old one, cloned the external SSD to my new SSD.

I tried AOMEI too, but the free version does not come with disk clone functions. I would probably try Macrium Reflect as suggested above. Thank you!

allenyao09, May 2, 2021
  3. yurnero Win User
    Getting windows to recognize new SSD after cloning and swapping

Today I cloned my SSD (some OCZ Vertex where Windows 10 x64 is installed) to a bigger SSD (some Crucial M500) then swapped the drives. (I followed this guide, pretty much step-by-step.)

Everything has gone smoothly except that when I go to Device Manager, the old SSD is still listed under Disk drives:

Swap SSDs Between Old and New PC? fL9nP.png

I have ran a benchmark with AS SSD Benchmark and got numbers that match those for the Crucial M500. So does it matter that Device Manager has the wrong name? If I'd like Windows to recognize the new drive properly and display as such under Device Manager, how would I do that please?

yurnero, May 2, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Swap SSDs Between Old and New PC?

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, May 2, 2021
Thema:

Swap SSDs Between Old and New PC?

1. Swap SSDs Between Old and New PC? - Similar Threads - Swap SSDs Between

2. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    swapping boot drives between PC's: I'm upgrading my PC and am changing from 8th gen intel to 13th gen, among other things, meaning I need to change my motherboard. Can I just take my boot drive nvme drive and chuck it in the new build or do I need to do something more complex? Will it require me to reactivate...
  3. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    swapping boot drives between PC's: I'm upgrading my PC and am changing from 8th gen intel to 13th gen, among other things, meaning I need to change my motherboard. Can I just take my boot drive nvme drive and chuck it in the new build or do I need to do something more complex? Will it require me to reactivate...
  4. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. License swapped between the devices

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    License swapped between the devices: I have a digital license of Windows 10 and a laptop which came with Windows 10 pre-installedAcer Swift 3. Both these devices were linked to my single MS account. The digital license that I had bought, was using it for my Desktop. Recently I swapped the SSD of the desktop and...
  6. License swapped between the devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    License swapped between the devices: I have a digital license of Windows 10 and a laptop which came with Windows 10 pre-installedAcer Swift 3. Both these devices were linked to my single MS account. The digital license that I had bought, was using it for my Desktop. Recently I swapped the SSD of the desktop and...
  7. Swapping SSDs between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping SSDs between laptop and desktop: I'm looking to swap the SSD from my laptop (512GB) with the SSD in my desktop (256GB). Both have windows already installed and contain different files. I'm having a tough time figuring out whether or not this will work, so any advice would be appreciated! Create a clone of...
  8. Swapping activations between computers

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  9. Transferring OS between two SSDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring OS between two SSDs: Hello all I built a small home server a year or so ago. As i had a spare key lying around, I have used Windows 10 as my OS and simply connected all my other devices to it. It’s obviously not a bespoke server solution but it works well enough for my purposes. I used a...
  10. Swapping SSDs in 2 Computers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping SSDs in 2 Computers: I have 2 PCs No. 1 is a i7 920 12 GB Ram and 256 GB SSD running Windows 10 Pro Insider Fast Ring 1809 Ver. 17751.1 No. 2 is i7 3770 32 GB Ram and 256 SSD running Windows 10 Home Insider Skippy 1803 Ver. 18219.1 I would like to swap the SSDs between them so the Windows 10...