Windows 10: Swapped hard drive into new Win10 pc - all files deleted on startup

Discus and support Swapped hard drive into new Win10 pc - all files deleted on startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'm new to these forums and Win 10. I've just purchased a used (clean OS install) desktop with Win10 pro installed. It has a primary SSD drive,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by illegalBeagle, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Swapped hard drive into new Win10 pc - all files deleted on startup

Hi, I'm new to these forums and Win 10.

I've just purchased a used (clean OS install) desktop with Win10 pro installed. It has a primary SSD drive, and a storage 3GB magnetic hard drive. I attempted to unplug the existing 3GB drive and replace with a 1GB magnetic (storage, not primary) hard drive from my laptop to transfer many large and important files onto the desktop primary drive. This has worked without trouble in past years on many machines with older Windows OS etc. However, after startup I was aghast to discover that all of the files on the 1GB (laptop) drive now in my Win 10 machine have apparently been deleted, and appear to be replaced (at least in name) with two small folders of the same name that were on the original desktop 3GB. This seems confirmed when I replaced the 1GB drive back into my laptop. Also, I notice that the 1GB drive which is now back in my laptop has been renamed as a 3GB drive. This is a completely unexpected result, and many of the files are irreplaceable. Is it possible to recover these files? Hope this makes sense...

:)

illegalBeagle, Oct 21, 2015

2. Backup/Clone Hard Drive

Hello,

I have a new PC and would like to transfer all of my documents/files in my old Win10 PC to this new Win10 PC. I am able to save my backup to a network location and then retrieve them to this new PC. In essence, I would like to clone my old hard drive to
    this new PC.

Thank you.

AN

AbelieNapartuk, Oct 21, 2015
  3. jkshana Win User
    Can I Use Key from Unused Activation on Virtual Box Win10 Install?

I ordered a new win10 Lenovo laptop, which is being delivered next week. I'm going to swap out the hard drive it comes with with a new ssd, install kubuntu, then I'm planning on running win10 in virtualbox.

Can I somehow use the license from the win10 that came with the laptop to activate the copy I'll run in the virtual machine, or is my best bet just to buy a new key?

Thanks in advance!

jkshana, Oct 21, 2015
Thema:

Swapped hard drive into new Win10 pc - all files deleted on startup

1. Swapped hard drive into new Win10 pc - all files deleted on startup - Similar Threads - Swapped hard drive

2. Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...: I have an older laptop that I use on my workbench at work... A Gateway MA7/MT6840.An old family friend bought it new, it was shipped with Vista Home Premium. I was her computer fixer for over 12 years. When the original hard drive died I installed a new one and she purchased...
  3. Hard Drive Swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Swap: I have a computer running Win 10. I purchased the Win 10 and had it installed by a local shop, Tech Junkies of Hays Kansas. The computer is rather old, only has 8 gig of RAM, and the processor is very slow. I'd like to buy a new computer and use the hard drive from my old...
  4. Can a Win10 hard drive just be swapped into a new computer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can a Win10 hard drive just be swapped into a new computer?: I had posted a few months ago about unexplained blue screens on an ASUS laptop of my wife's. The problem was seemingly solved with a new SSD, then when the blue screens persisted, a clean install of Windows on that drive. But after two months, the blue screens returned, and...
  5. Can a Win10 hard drive just be swapped into a new computer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can a Win10 hard drive just be swapped into a new computer?: I had posted a few months ago about unexplained blue screens on an ASUS laptop of my wife's. The problem was seemingly solved with a new SSD, then when the blue screens persisted, a clean install of Windows on that drive. But after two months, the blue screens returned, and...
  6. hard drive swap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive swap: I have a new computer, and have that computer all setup. Can I take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new computer (I dont need help on the mechanics). It is currently formatted for 2 logical drive. The current c: drive, I would reformat and use...
  7. Swapping hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping hard drives: How do I go about backing up windows to clone on a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapping-hard-drives/fac9a444-4f53-480d-aebc-2c98f61997fa
  8. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  9. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5570 with Windows 10 and a 1 lTB HDD. I also purchased A solid state drive seperately to replace the HDD. as it is a new drive i cannot boot from it. i have been unsuccessful in using my recovery drive on it or figuring out how to...
  10. Swapping Hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping Hard drives: Good Morning etc, okay I have a PC at home which has an external sata plugin for hard drives, last night I went to check a hard drive and plugged in the wrong one. The one I plugged was for another PC and had Windows 10 mounted in German my PC has English and is Windows 10 I...