Windows 10: Swapping a HDD for an SSD

Discus and support Swapping a HDD for an SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am swapping an HDD for a Samsung SSD in an HP Pavilion Laptop, what would be the easiest way to make a clean install of windows on the SSD? I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/VolphanGaming, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Swapping a HDD for an SSD

I am swapping an HDD for a Samsung SSD in an HP Pavilion Laptop, what would be the easiest way to make a clean install of windows on the SSD? I don't want to clone the drives since the HDD is extremely slow and I don't need most of the files.

submitted by /u/VolphanGaming
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/VolphanGaming, Feb 6, 2021

2. Swap HDD between PCs with Win10

Hi,

I just bought a ASUG G20 gaming PC that comes with a 1TB HDD and a OEM Win10 installed with a digital key. I have a custom built Win10 PC with a 500GB SSD and a Win10 digital license (from a Win8 upgrade) linked to my account.

Can I from a Win10 license point-of-view simply swap the HDD over and expect the licenses to function correctly?

My worry is that the OEM license will not work on my custom built PC and that I cannot swap the licenses "around" - any suggestions on how this functions?

Regards

Jeppe

Jeppe Funk, Feb 6, 2021
  3. Augus7 Win User
    A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops

So, i created another question thread as it was solved previously

Windows 10 no longer bootable on SSD

The situation was

SSD (Windows 10 Pro genuine retail license that I installed personally) in 2009 Asus Laptop (legacy BIOS) swapped to 2016 HP Laptop.

HDD (windows 10 home OEM, comes with laptop) in 2016 HP Laptop swapped to 2009 Asus laptop.

Problem with 2009 Asus laptop now with the HDD is

1. It doesnt want to boot Windows. It just shows "_"

Problem with 2016 HP laptop now with the SSD are

1. It is bootable when BIOS set to legacy

2. Over time, there is a notice telling me to activate my windows and it found a different license key

What should I do to make it work?

Augus7, Feb 6, 2021
  4. Ammaarqv Win User

Swapping a HDD for an SSD

OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Thanks for the response. So you suggest installing Windows on SSD, swap out HDD, then just remove Windows files? How would I go about doing this?

Is this safe to do?

Ammaarqv, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

Swapping a HDD for an SSD

1. Swapping a HDD for an SSD - Similar Threads - Swapping HDD SSD

2. SSD swapping, laggy PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD swapping, laggy PC: I have recently upgraded my SSD, and suddenly everything is lagging, and the games I play are very glitchy and laggy. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-swapping-laggy-pc/cb4649b2-b9e9-465b-8d7e-6d94d7e3f54e
  3. SSD swapping, laggy PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD swapping, laggy PC: I have recently upgraded my SSD, and suddenly everything is lagging, and the games I play are very glitchy and laggy. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-swapping-laggy-pc/cb4649b2-b9e9-465b-8d7e-6d94d7e3f54e
  4. Can't install W10 after HDD to SSD swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install W10 after HDD to SSD swap: I have a Dell Precision 3630 tower set up in RAID 1 with two 2TB HDD's. I removed both drives and installed two new 2TB Western Digital 2.5" SSD's. I insert my W10 thumb drive, it goes through the loading file process and gets to the screen where I select between 32 & 64 bit...
  5. Swapping to ssd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping to ssd?: I am currently running a system with Linux running on my m.2 nvme and Windows is running on my hdd. Is it possible to have both running on the one ssd and if so how can i move the windows installation to the ssd? submitted by /u/AyeYoItsMateo [link] [comments]...
  6. HDD to SSD, Swapping Mobo too (OEM License)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD, Swapping Mobo too (OEM License): Hey guys! I’m in the process of upgrading/changing my parts. Switching from Intel to a Ryzen 7 3700x and B550 ROG -F Strix Gaming. I will also be switching boot priority to the 1 Tb SSD. I currently have a 1 Tb HDD that I want to transfer files over to the SSD. I also have an...
  7. A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops: So, i created another question thread as it was solved previously https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-no-longer-bootable-on-ssd/263bd87e-0bfb-4d58-8e9e-e7d539b6e539?messageId=23142eb3-8cdf-41a6-9406-c8d50a8fdea1 The...
  8. Windows 10 pro OEM license swap from hdd to ssd?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 pro OEM license swap from hdd to ssd?: Hello there, i have a question, i have windows 10 OEM license and i want to upgrade my laptop with SSD. Can i move my actual license from hdd to my new ssd, and if i can how can i do that? Thank you....
  9. Switch HDD to SSD + Add m2 2280 SSD then Activation? Or Activate then swap all the...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Switch HDD to SSD + Add m2 2280 SSD then Activation? Or Activate then swap all the...: Good Afternoon, Just purchased a brand new desktop PC (it still in the box). Its preinstalled with Windows 10 Professional (awaiting activation) on the a single drive which is a 2.5" HDD. I don't' want that drive in the computer and I've purchased two new SSD's to upgrade...
  10. questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD: I have a fairly new Dell 8900 and want to swap its 1TB HDD with a new Crucial 1TB SSD I plan to clone the existing HDD using Macrium7 to the new SSD, then remove the HDD and install the new SSD in its place. Would this work? Would the currently existing SATA cable work with...