Windows 10: Swapping Different Windows 10 Versions between Motherboards

Discus and support Swapping Different Windows 10 Versions between Motherboards in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Did some research but haven't found anything that explicitly states how to do it yet. If I purchased a used computer that had Windows 10 Pro activated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/okokel, May 24, 2020.

1. /u/okokel Win User

Swapping Different Windows 10 Versions between Motherboards

Did some research but haven't found anything that explicitly states how to do it yet.

If I purchased a used computer that had Windows 10 Pro activated on it, would it be possible to swap the installation with the Windows 10 Home installation on my existing computer? Reinstalling Windows on either system won't be a problem, my set-up on my current rig allows me to do this fairly easily.

If it is possible, some additional questions:

-Can this be done without calling Microsoft Support?

-Can simply upgrade in place on the W10 Home primary PC using the W10 Pro key, and then clean install Home on the second PC?

submitted by /u/okokel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/okokel, May 24, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 24, 2020
  3. VisioWL Win User
    Windows 10 not activated after motherboard swap

Hi,

I've ran into interesting problem after swapping out my computer's motherboard. The old motherboard contained a windows 8.1 pro key in the bios and the computer was upgraded to window 10 pro. After I swapped out the motherboard, the old one was fried, and
    put the new one in, I can't activate windows anymore.

The new motherboard contains a new windows 8.1 key but is there a way to activate it? Or do i simply have to reinstall windows 10?

Best regards.

VisioWL, May 24, 2020
  4. Swapping Different Windows 10 Versions between Motherboards

Re-Activation of windows after 2 motherboard swaps.

Situation:

I am not very tech savvy and impatient. So last Saturday my computer shut down due to overheating. A friend of mine (whom I called) said that I would need thermal pasta for it to work or so. So I clipped the fan off and yanked the whole thing off the motherboard
    … and broke something. a few of those little things that look like hats on the motherboard.

So my friend quickly swapped the motherboard with one of his old ones along with a different processor because mine did not fit into the place. Upon rebooting windows complained that it was not activated .. so I quickly went there and re-activated it with
    my license key on my CD (which is a windows 7 version - I am running windows 10 free update)

The re-activation worked flawlessly. .. the new hardware ran, windows did not complain and everything was OK.

However, today is Monday .. and I quickly went to a store and got me a motherboard that would fit my processor and we installed everything.

Everything works perfectly fine, and I got the pasta on it and the temperature is not 90 degrees anymore. But windows complains AGAIN about not being activated. My friend told me I would just need to reactivate it because the motherboard was .. again ..
    changed.

So I went the exact same steps again .. but windows tells me that I do not have a license ?!? .. just 2 days ago it worked perfectly fine.

My friend suggests that there might be a limit on hardware changes? I have no idea. It also tells me that It cannot find a network to verify, but internet works perfectly fine!

RagnaEyadottir, May 24, 2020
Thema:

Swapping Different Windows 10 Versions between Motherboards

1. Swapping Different Windows 10 Versions between Motherboards - Similar Threads - Swapping Different Versions

2. What is the difference between ram and motherboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the difference between ram and motherboard?: TitleThanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-ram-and-motherboard/536b9087-5733-4791-ab30-1e291588fc50
  3. What is the difference between ram and motherboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the difference between ram and motherboard?: TitleThanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-ram-and-motherboard/536b9087-5733-4791-ab30-1e291588fc50
  4. Differences between Windows 11 versions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Differences between Windows 11 versions?: I have a laptop with Windows 11 Enterprise loaded on it and I can see the new settings UI that has changed from what is looked like in Windows 10. They have moved a few settings around so it took a minute to find the same stuff I knew how to find in Windows 10. I recently got...
  5. Differences between Windows 11 versions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Differences between Windows 11 versions?: I have a laptop with Windows 11 Enterprise loaded on it and I can see the new settings UI that has changed from what is looked like in Windows 10. They have moved a few settings around so it took a minute to find the same stuff I knew how to find in Windows 10. I recently got...
  6. Is there a way to swap between different monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to swap between different monitors: I have currently got 2 monitors, and will shortly have 3. I have 1 set up as my normal monitor for general usage and gaming, and a second monitor separate on a racing simulator. Currently i have to unplug my display port cable from my pc from the monitor in use for windows...
  7. Swapping Windows 10 Versions between 2 PCs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping Windows 10 Versions between 2 PCs: SCENARIO: I have a PC that I am going to retire. It has Windows 10 Pro. The new PC that I am buying comes with Windows 10 Home. ASK: I would like to put Windows 10 Pro on my new PC and Windows 10 Home on the old PC. Swap the Windows 10 versions. QUESTION: How can I do...
  8. What is the difference between version and image version and windows 10 ?

What is the difference between version and image version and windows 10 ?: I am trying to repair my windows 10 system image with ISO file downloaded from media creation tool. When I am trying to fix it, using DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:ESD:E:\sources\install.esd:3 /LimitAccess though I am running windows 10 home single...
  9. windows 10 and motherboard swapping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 and motherboard swapping: I bought a computer everything already built. it came with windows 10 on it. I have been slowly upgrading the components over time. My question is, is windows 10 tied to the hard drive or the motherboard. Ive read before that some people have problems swapping in a new...
  10. difference between version of windows 10

difference between version of windows 10: may I ask u a favor. Please, let me know. does someone know the difference between windows 10 English us and English uk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-version-of-windows-10/8433eca5-e43f-46bd-b029-9f8fa5325eec