Windows 10: Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops

Discus and support Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Toshiba Satellite with a bad motherboard dropped. I cloned the drive to an SSD and placed it in a new HP. In the Bluetooth devices section,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tapndog, Nov 6, 2020.

1. tapndog Win User

Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops

I have a Toshiba Satellite with a bad motherboard dropped. I cloned the drive to an SSD and placed it in a new HP. In the Bluetooth devices section, the 2 devices are still listed but I cannot pair them nor can I delete them. I have also tried using a BT dongle with no results. My guess is the HP motherboard doesn't like some entries on the Toshiba HD not compatible between manufacturer's software Can I do a factory reset or reinstall Windows to resolve this problem or will I run into other snags during the process?

:)

tapndog, Nov 6, 2020

2. swapping laptop hard drives

I have a windows 10 laptop, its a hp 15 notebook pc, my mom has an older hp pavillion laptop, not sure on model number but its running windows 7, Im wondering if it is possible to swap hard drives and have both laptops run fine. If not what do I need to
    do in order to make the swap work?

redneckryan1240, Nov 6, 2020
  3. Swapping Hard drives on two different laptops

When I said the changing of the hard drive is allowed I mean the physical swap...... Windows from one will not run nor would be licensed even if it did run. The OEM Windows license that came with the computer stays with that computer.

Rob - SpiritX

SpiritX MS MVP, Nov 6, 2020
  4. dawei Win User

Hard drive swap, different connections

I tried to hook up my old hard drive to a newer mobo, but the hard drive doesn't have the SATA cable (i think that's what it's called). Instead it only has a connection that looks similar to the CDROM data cable.

I found a spot on the mobo to put it and it seemed like it would work, but when i turn on the computer it starts to boot up, then resets after about 10 seconds (well before it boots windows). Then as its booting up after the reset, it does it again at the same place.

It obviously recognizes the drive; if i boot up without it connected at all it stops me after only a few seconds saying there is no hard drive.

But why doesn't it boot up completely?

(by the way this is for a different system than the one i have the specs listed for to the left)

dawei, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops - Similar Threads - Swapping Hard Drives

2. Is there a way to swap between different monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to swap between different monitors: I have currently got 2 monitors, and will shortly have 3. I have 1 set up as my normal monitor for general usage and gaming, and a second monitor separate on a racing simulator. Currently i have to unplug my display port cable from my pc from the monitor in use for windows...
  3. Hard Drive Swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Swap: I have a computer running Win 10. I purchased the Win 10 and had it installed by a local shop, Tech Junkies of Hays Kansas. The computer is rather old, only has 8 gig of RAM, and the processor is very slow. I'd like to buy a new computer and use the hard drive from my old...
  4. hard drive swap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive swap: I have a new computer, and have that computer all setup. Can I take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new computer (I dont need help on the mechanics). It is currently formatted for 2 logical drive. The current c: drive, I would reformat and use...
  5. Swapping hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping hard drives: How do I go about backing up windows to clone on a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapping-hard-drives/fac9a444-4f53-480d-aebc-2c98f61997fa
  6. Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive: My operating system runs on a Corsair SSD hard drive. I plan to clone the OS to a much larger Samsung SSD hard drive using Acronis.. And I wonder if there will be any compatibility issues between the hard drives? 137880
  7. Swapping hard drives between two computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swapping hard drives between two computers: Hello. I have two desktop computers. Both running Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap the hard drives between the computers. Reinstalling windows on my main computer is not an option (do not ask, just take my word for it). As I have two computers, two licenses and the...
  8. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  9. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5570 with Windows 10 and a 1 lTB HDD. I also purchased A solid state drive seperately to replace the HDD. as it is a new drive i cannot boot from it. i have been unsuccessful in using my recovery drive on it or figuring out how to...
  10. Swapping Hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping Hard drives: Good Morning etc, okay I have a PC at home which has an external sata plugin for hard drives, last night I went to check a hard drive and plugged in the wrong one. The one I plugged was for another PC and had Windows 10 mounted in German my PC has English and is Windows 10 I...