Windows 10: Swapping Hard Drives from Laptop 10 to Windows 7 Laptop

Discus and support Swapping Hard Drives from Laptop 10 to Windows 7 Laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am not sure if the other posts mention anything like this before but: Recently, my Wins10 laptop malfunction and I am not sure exactly how; laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wins10n00bi3, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Swapping Hard Drives from Laptop 10 to Windows 7 Laptop

I am not sure if the other posts mention anything like this before but:

Recently, my Wins10 laptop malfunction and I am not sure exactly how; laptop made beeps relating to CMOS battery (fixed) and cannot read hard drive (or something; not fixed). Anyhow, I acquired another laptop, an older version with Wins7. My genius idea was to simply swap out hard drives, since I saw the system info of Wins 7 laptop fits the requirements necessary for Wins10. I thought since Wins10 is in the hard drive, I swap it out so I can use it from Wins7 laptop; however, there was an error and I forgot what it said again.

Any ideas?

:)

wins10n00bi3, Sep 24, 2019

2. swapping laptop hard drives

I have a windows 10 laptop, its a hp 15 notebook pc, my mom has an older hp pavillion laptop, not sure on model number but its running windows 7, Im wondering if it is possible to swap hard drives and have both laptops run fine. If not what do I need to
    do in order to make the swap work?

redneckryan1240, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Swapping Hard Drives from Laptop 10 to Windows 7 Laptop

I am not sure if the other posts mention anything like this before but:

Recently, my Wins10 laptop malfunction and I am not sure exactly how; laptop made beeps relating to CMOS battery (fixed) and cannot read hard drive (or something; not fixed). Anyhow, I acquired another laptop, an older version with Wins7. My genius idea was to simply swap out hard drives, since I saw the system info of Wins 7 laptop fits the requirements necessary for Wins10. I thought since Wins10 is in the hard drive, I swap it out so I can use it from Wins7 laptop; however, there was an error and I forgot what it said again.

Any ideas?

wins10n00bi3, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Swapping Hard Drives from Laptop 10 to Windows 7 Laptop

All machines built for Windows 8 and above and supplied by the OEM with Windows pre-installed will have a full Windows key embedded in the firmware. This is only read and used by Setup when doing a clean install. Activation of this 'swapped in' W10 disk would not look for this key in the firmware, rather it would require the PC to already have a digital license for W10 stored on the Microsoft activation servers.

For Windows 7 machines there was an SLP marker embedded in the bios which was not a key. It was just a marker which, together with the generic OEM key in the OEM W7 image, would activate the pre-installed OEM W7 without needing to contact the activation servers.

For W10 to activate on this old W7 PC the PC would already have to have a digital license for W10. It could gain one by upgrading its existing activated W7 to W10. Note that a digital license is only for one edition of W10, Home or Pro. Which license it gets on upgrade depends on which edition of W7 it had.

If the disk to be 'swapped in' is W10 Pro, but the PC only has a digital license for Home, then it will not activate.

If the 'swapped in' disk is W10 Home and the PC's digital license is for W10 Pro that may not activate either, but the installed W10 Home could be upgraded to Pro by entering the generic Pro key, then it would activate.

The main problem in getting the 'transplant patient' to boot would be if the donor machine was UEFI with a gpt disk, but the old W7 PC was a Legacy bios machine that only supports booting from an mbr disk.

Thema:

1. Swapping Hard Drives from Laptop 10 to Windows 7 Laptop - Similar Threads - Swapping Hard Drives

2. Hard Drive Swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Swap: I have a computer running Win 10. I purchased the Win 10 and had it installed by a local shop, Tech Junkies of Hays Kansas. The computer is rather old, only has 8 gig of RAM, and the processor is very slow. I'd like to buy a new computer and use the hard drive from my old...
  3. Laptop Hard Drive, Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop Hard Drive, Windows 10: Can I take the hard drive from my laptop (store bought) that has windows 10, and use it in a computer as the hard drive? submitted by /u/FastestFetus [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k3fa5s/laptop_hard_drive_windows_10/
  4. Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops: I have a Toshiba Satellite with a bad motherboard dropped. I cloned the drive to an SSD and placed it in a new HP. In the Bluetooth devices section, the 2 devices are still listed but I cannot pair them nor can I delete them. I have also tried using a BT dongle with no...
  5. hard drive swap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive swap: I have a new computer, and have that computer all setup. Can I take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new computer (I dont need help on the mechanics). It is currently formatted for 2 logical drive. The current c: drive, I would reformat and use...
  6. Swapping hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping hard drives: How do I go about backing up windows to clone on a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapping-hard-drives/fac9a444-4f53-480d-aebc-2c98f61997fa
  7. windows 10 swap into new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 swap into new hard drive: I have an older computer, dell inspiron 1525, needs a new hard drive. I have a valid windows 10 pro 64 bit operating system. Is it possible to reinstall my windows OS on the new hard drive with the current product key?...
  8. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  9. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5570 with Windows 10 and a 1 lTB HDD. I also purchased A solid state drive seperately to replace the HDD. as it is a new drive i cannot boot from it. i have been unsuccessful in using my recovery drive on it or figuring out how to...
  10. Swapping Hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping Hard drives: Good Morning etc, okay I have a PC at home which has an external sata plugin for hard drives, last night I went to check a hard drive and plugged in the wrong one. The one I plugged was for another PC and had Windows 10 mounted in German my PC has English and is Windows 10 I...