Windows 10: Swapping mainboards. Activation?

Discus and support Swapping mainboards. Activation? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I'm getting a used mainboard that I need to test. I will put it temporarily in my PC, see if everything works, and then put the original mainboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ben Hastings, May 4, 2021.

1. Swapping mainboards. Activation?

Hi, I'm getting a used mainboard that I need to test. I will put it temporarily in my PC, see if everything works, and then put the original mainboard back into the pc. Will this affect the Windows product activation? Right now, Windows is telling me that it is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. Neither the new or the original mainboard have a license in the BIOS.

:)

Ben Hastings, May 4, 2021

2. Swapping mainboards. Activation?

Hi, I'm getting a used mainboard that I need to test. I will put it temporarily in my PC, see if everything works, and then put the original mainboard back into the pc.

Will this affect the Windows product activation? Right now, Windows is telling me that it is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. Neither the new or the original mainboard have a license in the BIOS.

Ben Hastings, May 4, 2021
  3. activation fails after mainboard swap

Hi

I have recently had a mainboard failure. I swapped the board out and at the same time reinstalled Win 10 and now it will not accept my Win 10 Key what can I do ?

David K5722, May 4, 2021
  4. Sobitthen Win User

Swapping mainboards. Activation?

Booting into Windows 10 after Mainboard Swap

My son, for some reason, charges his cell phone charge pack next to my computer and mistakenly plugged it into my computer instead of the wall charger and now my USB ports are acting up, lose connection with my S6 phone during file transfer for work. Same
    cable works on another computer, stays connected, so not phone or cable, must have been the higher current draw his near dead charger put on my USB ports and took out my USB ports, doesn't matter what USB I use, none seem to maintain connection with my phone.

Using the still viable i5-2500k on a P67 mainboard and wanted to upgrade to a Z77 mainboard to resolve the USB issue and to get the better SSD support the Z77 offers over the older P67 board.

My original question was, since I have a Retail W10 installation, would the current W10 installation on my SSD post into W10 with the hardware change, add the new hardware, then just request that I re-authenticate my installation? I asked this question
    in the built in W10 chat option, speaking with a rep, he claimed it would boot into W10 and just ask for a product key, and that any product key from W7 to W10 would work to get past the validation process.

My concern was since this PC was built in 2008 or so, I no longer have the case with the W7 sticker, I had paid for the online upgrade to W8, migrated to W8.1, and took the recent updates to W10, so I am unsure what key I used 8 years ago, or what key they
    may have given me for the W8... So will try what others suggested here and try the support again, I took screenshot of the full licensing, via the command prompt method, showing I belong to Retail channel and a copy of all the IDs associated with my current
    installation, he liked I had done this step. I recommend anyone reading this to try that too, that command was on another thread here, under similar topic.

If this i5-2500k wasn't such a champ I would upgrade the entire system, but have been side by side with other newer models and I could not discern any RW performance gains in the tasks I do for my work or play so an under $100 repair is my best option. Sure
    newer devices boot faster but once in W10 the same limitation hit both systems, network bandwidth, etc,.

QUESTION: Has anyone with retail W10 tried a motherboard swap and did your computer post or were you forced into performing a clean install? People will recommend clean, but I have lots of work related software loaded such that it would takes days on end
    to get all the softwares back onto this machine if clean was needed. I will run BelArc Advisor just in case before the swap, but again, just looking for comments from those who have tried a mainboard swap with Retail W10, thanks...

Sobitthen, May 4, 2021
Thema:

Swapping mainboards. Activation?

1. Swapping mainboards. Activation? - Similar Threads - Swapping mainboards Activation

2. Cant activate Win10 after mainboard change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant activate Win10 after mainboard change: Hello,My mainboard crashed and I replaced it with a new one.Now my product key reactivation windows 10 is not working.The key is not linked to any MS account.The help site tips were not working as well.I am out of ideas....
  3. Cant activate Win10 after mainboard change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant activate Win10 after mainboard change: Hello,My mainboard crashed and I replaced it with a new one.Now my product key reactivation windows 10 is not working.The key is not linked to any MS account.The help site tips were not working as well.I am out of ideas....
  4. Cant activate Win10 after mainboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cant activate Win10 after mainboard change: Hello,My mainboard crashed and I replaced it with a new one.Now my product key reactivation is not working.The key is not linked to any MS account.The help site tips were not working as well.I am out of ideas....
  5. Windows 7 License activation with new mainboard/cpu/memory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 License activation with new mainboard/cpu/memory: It's been awhile since I did a fresh install so I would appreciate any feedback with the task. I have a current W10 digital license linked to my MS account from the original W7 retail copy I bought and did the free upgrade to W10. I have the current W10 USB media downloaded...
  6. Swapping activations between computers

Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  7. Swapping activations between computers

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  8. activation fails after mainboard swap

activation fails after mainboard swap: Hi I have recently had a mainboard failure. I swapped the board out and at the same time reinstalled Win 10 and now it will not accept my Win 10 Key what can I do ?...
  9. Activate Windows 10 after mainboard change

Activate Windows 10 after mainboard change: I had to change my mainboard and now I can't activate Windows 10 Pro. In my Microsoft Account I see the old pc (activated) and the new one (not activated). I already pressed trouble shooting but I could not fix the problem, because on the broken mainboard I used a Windows 10...
  10. Activation of an OEM version after changing the mainboard.

Activation of an OEM version after changing the mainboard.: On another forum (in Chinese), a member said that his OEM version of Windows 10 had been activated after the mainboard was changed. A screenshot of that was shown there. And he had not used this method: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation...