Windows 10: swapping primary hard drive and reinstalling windows

Discus and support swapping primary hard drive and reinstalling windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to buy an SSD, install it my computer as the primary drive and move my current hard drive to secondary, to use it for a data drive. This should... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by antidisestablishmentarini, Feb 8, 2019.

1. swapping primary hard drive and reinstalling windows

I want to buy an SSD, install it my computer as the primary drive and move my current hard drive to secondary, to use it for a data drive.

This should be simple but I want to make sure.

I assume I reinstall my Windows 10 on the new drive, using the same key I own. Then what. How do I get the old Windows system off the second disk? Specifically, which folders do I delete and what do I do to make sure Windows looks for the data on that drive?

Is there a FAQ on this procedure somewhere?

:)

antidisestablishmentarini, Feb 8, 2019

2. Cortana can't open apps after hard drive swap

I just swapped out my primary hard drive due to performance issues and cloned my system image onto a new drive. I put in the new drive and everything is working perfectly, except now Cortana can't open apps. If I say "Hey Cortana, open [app name]", she'll
    say "Start which app?" and show an empty list. This happens for all apps.

Windows 10 Home

thelonesoldier, Feb 8, 2019
  3. little cat, Feb 8, 2019
  4. W1zzard Win User

swapping primary hard drive and reinstalling windows

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

swapping primary hard drive and reinstalling windows

1. swapping primary hard drive and reinstalling windows - Similar Threads - swapping primary hard

2. Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...: I have an older laptop that I use on my workbench at work... A Gateway MA7/MT6840.An old family friend bought it new, it was shipped with Vista Home Premium. I was her computer fixer for over 12 years. When the original hard drive died I installed a new one and she purchased...
  3. Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...: I have an older laptop that I use on my workbench at work... A Gateway MA7/MT6840.An old family friend bought it new, it was shipped with Vista Home Premium. I was her computer fixer for over 12 years. When the original hard drive died I installed a new one and she purchased...
  4. Hard Drive Swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Swap: I have a computer running Win 10. I purchased the Win 10 and had it installed by a local shop, Tech Junkies of Hays Kansas. The computer is rather old, only has 8 gig of RAM, and the processor is very slow. I'd like to buy a new computer and use the hard drive from my old...
  5. hard drive swap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive swap: I have a new computer, and have that computer all setup. Can I take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new computer (I dont need help on the mechanics). It is currently formatted for 2 logical drive. The current c: drive, I would reformat and use...
  6. Swapping hard drives

Swapping hard drives: How do I go about backing up windows to clone on a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapping-hard-drives/fac9a444-4f53-480d-aebc-2c98f61997fa
  7. Reinstall Windows 10 and replace primary hard drive

Reinstall Windows 10 and replace primary hard drive: Hi folks, I've been running Windows 10 on this PC for a couple of years now. Upgraded online from Windows 7 during the free upgrade period. So I have no product key for Windows 10, I have a digital license tied to my Microsoft account. I want to reinstall Windows 10 now...
  8. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  9. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5570 with Windows 10 and a 1 lTB HDD. I also purchased A solid state drive seperately to replace the HDD. as it is a new drive i cannot boot from it. i have been unsuccessful in using my recovery drive on it or figuring out how to...
  10. Swapping Hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping Hard drives: Good Morning etc, okay I have a PC at home which has an external sata plugin for hard drives, last night I went to check a hard drive and plugged in the wrong one. The one I plugged was for another PC and had Windows 10 mounted in German my PC has English and is Windows 10 I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. swapping primary hard drive