Windows 10: Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

Discus and support Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello there I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space My idea... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TonoPotter93, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

Hello there

I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space

My idea was to clone the information from one SSD (intel is now inside the laptop) to the bigger SSD (using an USB-SATA cable and SSD adapter). So I just swap it.

Information is supposed to be cloned succesfully, but System, Boot and Active things are still attached to the old drive. I dont know what to do to transfer them to the new SSD.

Do I need to change the drive letter assignment ? or there's a way to copy paste those files ?

any workaround in cmd ? and if theres is some, I may need to know the steps.

Psd: Im using Minitool partition Wizard 10.2.1, and I dont have a CD drive. Im using this https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Enclosu...+ssd+enclosure

Thanks a lot in advance. *Smile

:)

TonoPotter93, Oct 3, 2017

2. SSD - copy or reinstall OS?

All you need is a free cloning software. Personally, I often use AOMEI Backupper to clone large hdd to smaller ssd. you don't have to shrink the partition for it to fit the ssd,
    as the software will do it, as long as your ssd have enough space for the data on the hdd. If your ssd does not have that much space, you can slim your HDD by removing data to another storage device or use system clone to only migrate your operating
    system(OS) to the SSD instead.

www.backup-utility.com/clone/clone-large-hdd-to-smaller-ssd-4348.html

Youngwarlord, Oct 3, 2017
  3. qinada Win User
    Clone a 1 Tb drive to a 512 Mb SSC

Hi Vaughn,

You can
    clone larger HDD to small SSD
    with a professional disk cloning software as long as the used space is smaller than the SSD. You will not worry it will clone the unused space unless you use sector by sector clone mode.

I suggest you to clone your HDD to SSD with AOMEI Backupper, if the used space is larger than the SSD, you can clone only the OS to SSD and keep the HDD as data storage. This software is very easy to operate.

qinada, Oct 3, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

AddRAM, Oct 3, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    Plankton, Oct 3, 2017
  6. fireberd Win User
    I just recently upgraded the SSD in my Dell laptop. I went from a 256GB M.2 to a 500GB M.2. I imaged the entire drive (this is important) and not just the "C" partition to a separate drive. I restored the image to the new 500GB drive. I used mini tool partition wizard to expand the C partition on the new drive up to the full capacity. However, I was told Macrium Reflect will also do this. As I used Macrium Reflect for the image and image restore I could have expanded the capacity without using the mini tool.

fireberd, Oct 4, 2017
  7. TonoPotter93, Oct 4, 2017
  8. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

I see that. Were you using and extra drive to put the image on it ? Or am I missleading it ? I have my original drive inside, no other drive bay, and the new one is being handled with an Aukey USB-Sata external enclosure

TonoPotter93, Oct 4, 2017
  9. It supposed came with an Acronis True Image HD. I got the serial number in a paper. I already tried 2014, '15, '16, '17, and the new '18 versions and says that serial number isn't valid. That's why I'm searching another way. *Smile

TonoPotter93, Oct 4, 2017
  10. You don't want to create an image on the new SSDl; instead, just use Macrium Reflect to "clone" the partitions to the new SSD -- and choose the option to retain the current partition sizes. Then, after you finish that, you can expand the new C: partition to take up the empty room on the new SSD.

Mark Phelps, Oct 4, 2017
  11. topgundcp Win User
    You can expand C partition within Macrium, just download Macrium Software Free
    Install then follow the video:
    [youtube]FvTIAxVvd_0[/youtube]

topgundcp, Oct 4, 2017
  12. Well, I did a whole revision of the steps i were following to get the thing done. And what it happened was:

- I was cloning a Windows OS that wasnt in GPT to a GPT mode. So of course, no boot information to copy from. ( I got the Windows Creators update btw, updated, used the embeeded tool to change the windows to GPT)

- I cloned the device completly again, and I just dragged with the mouse all boot folder from the Original C: drive to the at that moment D: drive already cloned.

Worked. xD

So far I got no issues with rebooting, restarting, and suspension ways. and now Im using my UEFI partition finally *Smile

Thanks for all your answers guys and gals !!

TonoPotter93, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

1. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot. - Similar Threads - Swapping Smaller SSD

2. Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD: So, I recently got a 500gb Samsung 980 Pro and I want to transfer Windows from my 1TB WD Blue to my new SSD. So I set it up and everything went well setting it up wise, until I looked up how to change the boot drive in my PC. For all of the scenarios they had a 1tb HDD then a...
  3. Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD: So, I recently got a 500gb Samsung 980 Pro and I want to transfer Windows from my 1TB WD Blue to my new SSD. So I set it up and everything went well setting it up wise, until I looked up how to change the boot drive in my PC. For all of the scenarios they had a 1tb HDD then a...
  4. Cloning to a Smaller SSD

Cloning to a Smaller SSD: What is a decent cloning product that can clone from a larger hdd to a smaller ssd, either paid or free. There's not a lot on the old drive. It's version 2004 of Windows 10. I'm unable to get to the boot menu or the bios using the novo button on a Lenovo Z580 for some...
  5. Cloning to a Smaller SSD

Cloning to a Smaller SSD: What is a decent cloning product that can clone from a larger hdd to a smaller ssd, either paid or free. There's not a lot on the old drive. 173366
  6. Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap: I have recently purchased a SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1 TB SSD to upgrade my existing SSD C drive (250GB OCZ-AGILITY) Using Samsung Data Migration Tool I eventually cloned the new drive successfully after several failed attempts using a spare SATA lead. I then openned up the PC and...
  7. Clone SSD to bigger SSD

Clone SSD to bigger SSD: Been trying to get my new 480 gig Sandisk to take a direct clone from my old Sandisk 128 gig SSD and all the programs I've tried keep assigning separate drive letters to each partition and then the bigger SSD wont even boot right. It boots to a blank 10 blue screen with two...
  8. Is Macrium a good app to clone a system hdd to a much smaller ssd?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is Macrium a good app to clone a system hdd to a much smaller ssd?: Is Macrium a reliable programme to clone a system HDD to a much smaller SSD? 64651
  9. Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD

Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD: I'm trying to clone my 2 TB HD, with only 300 GB used, to a new 480 GB SSD, and keep getting "not enough space" to finish transferring, etc.....I thought since the used portion (300 GB) being less than the target drive (480 GB SSD) this was a possibility with Macrium...
  10. Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters: I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning? My new computer (an ASUS) currently has Windows 8.1. I intend to upgrade to Windows 10 before I do anything more. I will move the old Windows...