Windows 10: Swapping SSDs between laptop and desktop

Discus and support Swapping SSDs between laptop and desktop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm looking to swap the SSD from my laptop (512GB) with the SSD in my desktop (256GB). Both have windows already installed and contain different files.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AV7721, Mar 9, 2021.

1. /u/AV7721 Win User

Swapping SSDs between laptop and desktop

I'm looking to swap the SSD from my laptop (512GB) with the SSD in my desktop (256GB). Both have windows already installed and contain different files. I'm having a tough time figuring out whether or not this will work, so any advice would be appreciated!

1. Create a clone of Desktop SSD to 1TB internal desktop HDD
    2. Create a clone of Laptop SSD to External HDD
    3. Swap SSDs

The next steps from here are what I'm unsure about. Would I be able to re-install Windows/cloned files from the respective drives, or would I need to use a cloning software again? Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/AV7721
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AV7721, Mar 9, 2021

2. Swap windows 10 ssd from laptop to desktop

ok i think i got it. so i wont be able to just swap it. i will have to backup all my data, then swap ssd to desktop and format it, then reinstall my previous version of windows 7 pro, then update that to sp1 and then upgrade to windows 10 and then copy all
    my data back to the ssd that would now be in the desktop.

is that right? i just want to make sure i am following the rules. i like windows 10 alot and just want to make sure i am doing the migration right

No0bZiLLa., Mar 9, 2021
  3. Swap windows 10 ssd from laptop to desktop

I have a dell inspiron n5040 and i want to put the ssd in it into my desktop. I custom built my desktop and would rather have the ssd in it. Could i just take out the ssd from the laptop and put it
    in my desktop and all will be fine? I realize i will need to install the drivers and such which is no problem. Any insight would be appreciated.

No0bZiLLa., Mar 9, 2021
  4. Swapping SSDs between laptop and desktop

Swap windows 10 ssd from laptop to desktop

I have a dell inspiron n5040 and i want to put the ssd in it into my desktop. I custom built my desktop and would rather have the ssd in it. Could i just take out the ssd from the laptop and put it in my desktop and all will be fine? I realize i will need
    to install the drivers and such which is no problem. Any insight would be appreciated.

No0bZiLLa., Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

Swapping SSDs between laptop and desktop

1. Swapping SSDs between laptop and desktop - Similar Threads - Swapping SSDs between

2. Swap windows HDD between laptops.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swap windows HDD between laptops.: Me and my friend wish to swap our laptops. One is HP and other is Dell. Both had OEM windows and office. will it work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-windows-hdd-between-laptops/bdcf0804-eb70-4a62-8b88-f3784cf2c49e
  3. Swap windows HDD between laptops.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swap windows HDD between laptops.: Me and my friend wish to swap our laptops. One is HP and other is Dell. Both had OEM windows and office. will it work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-windows-hdd-between-laptops/bdcf0804-eb70-4a62-8b88-f3784cf2c49e
  4. Swap SSDs Between Old and New PC?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swap SSDs Between Old and New PC?: I currently have a PC with Windows 10 on a 1 TB SSD. I’m about to receive a new PC which has only a 500 GB SSD. Both my current PC and the new PC I am about to receive are/will be running Windows 10 which is loaded on their respective SSDs. What I want to do is swap the SSDs....
  5. Swapping between desktops in windows 10 lag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping between desktops in windows 10 lag: I dont want to turn off animation when swapping through virtual desktops. Anyone know why lag happens and how to fix it? submitted by /u/zxasassa [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kv0egq/swapping_between_desktops_in_windows_10_lag/
  6. Swapping activations between computers

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  7. Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops: I have a Toshiba Satellite with a bad motherboard dropped. I cloned the drive to an SSD and placed it in a new HP. In the Bluetooth devices section, the 2 devices are still listed but I cannot pair them nor can I delete them. I have also tried using a BT dongle with no...
  8. A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops: So, i created another question thread as it was solved previously https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-no-longer-bootable-on-ssd/263bd87e-0bfb-4d58-8e9e-e7d539b6e539?messageId=23142eb3-8cdf-41a6-9406-c8d50a8fdea1 The...
  9. Transferring OS between two SSDs

Transferring OS between two SSDs: Hello all I built a small home server a year or so ago. As i had a spare key lying around, I have used Windows 10 as my OS and simply connected all my other devices to it. It’s obviously not a bespoke server solution but it works well enough for my purposes. I used a...
  10. Swapping SSDs in 2 Computers

Swapping SSDs in 2 Computers: I have 2 PCs No. 1 is a i7 920 12 GB Ram and 256 GB SSD running Windows 10 Pro Insider Fast Ring 1809 Ver. 17751.1 No. 2 is i7 3770 32 GB Ram and 256 SSD running Windows 10 Home Insider Skippy 1803 Ver. 18219.1 I would like to swap the SSDs between them so the Windows 10...